Piraeus Express/Katakolon Express

disneygirl1972

We booked the Katakolon Express for our call there in October. We were told 8am. THis was changed to 9am, but I either did not get the email or deleted it by mistake. I was traveling when others got it. Anyway, we showed up at 8am and no bus. Walked to town (200 yards or so) and found another company which charged half of what KE was charging. Worked great.

Was just in Pireaus (last week) and did our normal thing of using the Green Line trains (1.40 Euros for a single ticket or 4 Euros for a 24 hour ticket) to quickly get between Athens and Pireaus. For those who do not want to walk to the train station its possible to use the local 843 bus (the cost of the buses is also included in the unified train ticket). We normally enjoy a morning walk from the port to the train station but often use that 843 bus on our return (just cross the street from the train station and walk about 50 yards towards the left until you see the bus stop (its the 2nd bus stop).

Hank

Any recent experiences with either of these? Good or bad :rolleyes:

Thanks!!

We used both these in September and had good experiences. The Piraeus Express was a bus tour and excellent value. It was a bit like the hop-on hop-off buses, except that you have a proper guide rather than recorded tour description. There is a definite itinerary and you are dropped off at several points to spend time (on your own) looking around, and you meet back at the bus at a specified time. So the guide does not give you a detailed tour around, for example the Acropolis, but he's there at the beginning to give you advice and make sure you get in OK. He also buys the tickets for you in advance. The lunch stop was in the Plaka pedestrianised area, and following a recommendation from the guide, we ate at a nice taverna - or if you prefer you just grab something quick and walk around more. So you pay for your own lunch arrangements.

The Katakolon Express was different - it was more like having a personal tour guide (and of course the price was somewhat higher than the Piraeus Express). There were meant to be 25 of us on the bus, but only about 12 turned up - so it was better for us. The guide gave us a lot of historical background, took us through the Olympia museum picking out the main attractions and talking about them, and then walked us around the Olympia ruins. We think it was pretty good value. We might not have seen all of the Olympia details, but every guide chooses his own route anyway. It was enough for us. We were also taken for some shopping should we wish, and to a hotel for lunch, which was very enjoyable (sitting out in the hotel garden - light lunch style with wine and ouzo). The lunch was included in the price of the tour.

All in all, we would recommend it based on our experiences that week.

We booked the Katakolon Express for our call there in October. We were told 8am. THis was changed to 9am, but I either did not get the email or deleted it by mistake. I was traveling when others got it. Anyway, we showed up at 8am and no bus. Walked to town (200 yards or so) and found another company which charged half of what KE was charging. Worked great.

Do you recall the name of the company you used??

Any recent experiences with either of these? Good or bad :rolleyes:

Thanks!!

Did both in October. I would recommend them in both cities. I thought the guide in Katakalon was excellent.

No, but they are right across the street from the pier. They had someone oout on the street looking for business. You were directed inside to pay.

Helllo we will be in katakolon in January and were wondering if any of you know about the train .....is it running from Katakolon to Olympia? and if so what are the times. Our ship leaves at 4 so is there a train back before that?

Also how much was the cost of the other company? Katakolon expyess is 10 euros so is the other one cheaper? also I heard the train is also 2 euros.

Please any info. will be helpful

The train was running when we were there in late October. Sorry, I did not get the schedule.

KE was charging 20Euros for a return ticket. This was bus transport only. I don't remember the charge for including a tour. I think it was about 40 Euros. You can check their website. The other company was 10Euros return.

The train was running when we were there in late October. Sorry, I did not get the schedule.

KE was charging 20Euros for a return ticket. This was bus transport only. I don't remember the charge for including a tour. I think it was about 40 Euros. You can check their website. The other company was 10Euros return.

Thanks will look into it

Helllo we will be in katakolon in January and were wondering if any of you know about the train .....is it running from Katakolon to Olympia? and if so what are the times. Our ship leaves at 4 so is there a train back before that?

Also how much was the cost of the other company? Katakolon expyess is 10 euros so is the other one cheaper? also I heard the train is also 2 euros.

Please any info. will be helpful

Although I have no clue as to whether or not the train will be running in January, here is the link to the Katakolon train (the prices & schedules are included):

http://www.katakolon.org/katakolon-train.html

Archived