First time cruising with Oceania (Marina)

smdcruiser

We have been on approx 11 cruises and looking forward to our upcoming 20 night Ancient Legends on board the 'Marina' leaving from Valparaiso Chile and ending in Papeete Tahiti.

As this is our first cruise with Oceania in a completely different part of the world for us, does anyone have suggestions, tips, what to expect ?

Much appreciated.

Thanks for the quick reply Lyn.

I was more interested in finding out what to expect on the ship. I just recently became a member of cruise critic / message board. Great sites, and very helpful.

Thanks again,

Are you interested in how to book your specialty restaurants? Free - but booking online is best. I guess you are aware of the dress code - country club casual, i.e. suits nor ties are necessary but no jeans in the dining rooms. Lots of info like this on the Oceania site.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/default.aspx

You have cruised before so you know that room service, etc. is included. What you may not know is that soft drinks, bottled water (including sparkling) and fancy coffees (non-alcoholic) are free. Please ask specific questions - and do join the forum for your cruise. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1492819

319 messages!

I am on that too - from Rio to Papeete. We should have a great time!

Thanks Tansy,

I've been looking at 'Roll Call'......some great advice.

I'm now reconsidering some of the already booked ship's excursions. My past experience with excursions that were booked through the ships have not always been positive.....some good, some not so.

The snorkelling in Bora Bora by a private company 'Chritoph's' looks like a better option then the ship's lagoon tour and beach break.

Flying into Santiago from Toronto on the 27th.....hope to see you on the ship.

Shawn

I am taking my first cruise in 30 years. We are booked in a veranda room that is directly across from the Concierge lounge on the Riviera. The Oceania rep said this would be great because it's like an extension of your room. Is anyone familiar with where the door is (or are there two?), how much traffic it gets, etc? I am VERY nervous about this location and am thinking this could be a long and noisy two weeks!! :confused: I assume asking to switch at this point is out of the question. How good or bad of a location is this?

I am taking my first cruise in 30 years. We are booked in a veranda room that is directly across from the Concierge lounge on the Riviera. The Oceania rep said this would be great because it's like an extension of your room. Is anyone familiar with where the door is (or are there two?), how much traffic it gets, etc? I am VERY nervous about this location and am thinking this could be a long and noisy two weeks!! :confused: I assume asking to switch at this point is out of the question. How good or bad of a location is this?

We have been in 9026, which is almost directly across the passageway from the entrance to the Concierge lounge. Your rep is correct, it's a great location if you like to pop in early in the morning for a fresh cup of coffee or a juice from the cooler, or a snack from the server. There are also newspapers and magazines.

In my experience, you will NOT notice any additional noise, nor much additional traffic. There are two entrances to the lounge, one from the Starboard passage way and one from the Port passageway. There is no need for anyone to congregate outside the lounge. The door to the lounge is generally kept shut (when it is closed, one has to use their keycard to open it). When your stateroom door is closed, very little, if any, activity in the passageway filters through.

091653.jpg

Enjoy your easy access, and feel a little sorry for the folks at the other end of the ship or on a different deck, who have to traipse a fair distance to get to the lounge.

We have been in 9026, which is almost directly across the passageway from the entrance to the Concierge lounge. Your rep is correct, it's a great location if you like to pop in early in the morning for a fresh cup of coffee or a juice from the cooler, or a snack from the server. There are also newspapers and magazines.

In my experience, you will NOT notice any additional noise, nor much additional traffic. There are two entrances to the lounge, one from the Starboard passage way and one from the Port passageway. There is no need for anyone to congregate outside the lounge. The door to the lounge is generally kept shut (when it is closed, one has to use their keycard to open it). When your stateroom door is closed, very little, if any, activity in the passageway filters through.

091653.jpg

Enjoy your easy access, and feel a little sorry for the folks at the other end of the ship or on a different deck, who have to traipse a fair distance to get to the lounge.

On Marina's first Caribbean voyage we were across from the concierge lounge. No noise. BTW, lots of people go in to get coffee in their O robes. Don't be shy!

I can agree with what Hondorner said. I was in 9039 right across from the Concierge lounge door on the Starboard side. Didn't hear any noise either. Good location to be able to use the lounge. I would hate to be at the back of the ship on deck 9, and want to get a quick snack, from the lounge. Would be a l o n g walk.:D

Archived