Repositioning cruise passport question

C&THollings

I dunno, obviously it is me, but I NEVER understood, especially in this day and age, is what is the issue with getting a passport.

Would someone please enlighten me and, please, do not tell me it has to do with the cost of one, it's $135 and lasts for 10 years.

I fly from NJ to FL, and use my passport for ID. I've had a passport since age 7, and I am now 54.

I dunno, obviously it is me, but I NEVER understood, especially in this day and age, is what is the issue with getting a passport.

Would someone please enlighten me and, please, do not tell me it has to do with the cost of one, it's $135 and lasts for 10 years.

I fly from NJ to FL, and use my passport for ID. I've had a passport since age 7, and I am now 54.

$135 for 1 passport but for families it adds up. If my family of seven had to have passports then we would have either had to chose a different form of vacation or put the cruise off for a year or more. Alternatives exist because everyone's travel needs are different.

(And while we could have gotten passports for our last cruise we didn't because we didn't need them and decided to wait until our travel plans require them.)

I am on the 2/3/13 repositioning cruise starting in MIA and ending in SJ. I called Carnival and even my PVP was not sure, but after talking to her supervisor she said YES we do need a passport, so after 10 cruises I finally broke down and got one! My problem with this whole thing is: When I filled out my cruise documents online, why did it let me select a Birth Certificate as the documentation I would be bringing if a passport is required it should be redflagged right there!

Sometimes there are 4 or 5 people in a family and this might be the only time they plan on a trip that will need a passport. So many people don't bother getting them for the 1 time use especially since you are not required to have it.

I hope this might answer why everyone in America doesn't have a passport.

Btw you can use your driver's licence or state issued ID to fly domestically there is no reason to use a passport unless it's your only form of identification

Those who incorrectly think a passport is required need to research passport cards.

Passport cards are only valid for land and sea entry, you cannot fly with it.

A passport is NOT required for US citizens. Perhaps for Canadians.

The way I read the CBP website it seems to say to enter Puerto Rico on a repositioning cruise one would need to have a passport (book or card). Flying out of Puerto Rico to the US does not seem to require a passport.

I was afraid he would, it's my understanding, due to a Child Support issue with the state he can not get a passport. The EX wife of 6 months who was cheating (reason for the divorce) put his name on the Birth Certificate. She then went on state aid and he is now 'flagged' and can not get one. And before I get the dead beat Dad, The courts denied him a paternity test, but wanted him to pay for the child. The mother denied him the right to see the child too.

The messed up society and courts of the early 80's.

My PVP is on Cruise right now, go figure ;) With all the different 'documentation' on the subject, I think I will have her get me a definite answer from Carnival, or call the U.S. Customs.

Thanks!

I was afraid he would, it's my understanding, due to a Child Support issue with the state he can not get a passport. The EX wife of 6 months who was cheating (reason for the divorce) put his name on the Birth Certificate. She then went on state aid and he is now 'flagged' and can not get one. And before I get the dead beat Dad, The courts denied him a paternity test, but wanted him to pay for the child. The mother denied him the right to see the child too.

The messed up society and courts of the early 80's.

My PVP is on Cruise right now, go figure ;) With all the different 'documentation' on the subject, I think I will have her get me a definite answer from Carnival, or call the U.S. Customs.

Thanks!

Years ago I was in the same boat so to speak. The State Dept said yes I could get a passport as long as I was paying CS but the county where the case was said NO! I was behind on re-payment to the county for the benefits my ex was receiving. Here's the kicker though I was not behind by my own fault but because for 4 years the county had only sent 1 set of paper work to my employer. I had 1 court case but with 2 docket numbers.:eek:

I waited 3 months after I made my last payment and had all my case closed documents ready when I went for my passport.:D

Too bad your state does not offer EDL licenses he would be able to use that.

Archived