formal dress for Alaska

msmathteacher

I wear summery dresses - remember it's indoors in the evenings and I found that I was warmer in Alaska on the ship in the evenings than in the Caribbean they have the heat on not A/C. I do bring a wrap but my formal dresses are sleeveless - not a problem. Hope this helps.

Kathy

I, also, wore sleeveless dresses in Alaska. It is warmer in the dining room than on any of the Caribbean cruises I have been on. A few times I ventured outside after dinner for a few minutes but to be honest the crisp air felt good.

Can a man wear a blue blazer and tie for formal night or is a dark suit better? Can a woman wear dressy black pants? What do you wear for informal night? We are doing a land tour in Alaska also and we are trying to minimize what we pack. Thanks.

In my opinion a dark suit would be better, dressy black pants are fine - you'll see everything from dressy pants, cocktail dresses & long formals on women. Informal nights I'm wearing dressy pantsuits (not formal with beads or anything) pretty much what you might wear to church or the like. My husband will wear a jacket but not a tie -(mock turtleneck silk shirts). Hope this helps.

Would my husband really be out of place with a blue blazer and dark pants for everything? Can he wear his dark suit for informal nights as well so he doesn't have to take another jacket. We don't want to drag around a lot of formal wear during our land tour (which we are doing on our own). Also, can we choose to eat somewhere else during these formal/informal nights? Thanks.

First you can eat elsewhere and if he were to only take 1 dress up thing I'd say take the suit and eat casual on the informal nights and it's possible that there well only be one of those. I wouldn't get too caught up with the informal dress.

Archived