Coco cay special gluten free diet at beach?

dis2cruise

No problem - there are ribs, chicken, salads, fruit - all gluten free. She just has to avoid bread and rolls while there.

Actually, you are incorrect. The BBQ sauce used for the ribs is not gluten free. It contains wheat products. The only sure way to ensure that gluten is avoided is to eat fresh veggies and fruits. When my wife who is gluten sensitive, not celiac, inquired about GF food she was told that they could not provide assurances at the beach stop.

I get very frustrated when people who do not have real knowledge about a gluten free diet comment that you can have meat, veg, fruit etc. First of all I know what is naturally gluten free BUT that is not the problem. The problem is someone touching bread or gluten objects and then touching the non gluten items. Servers unknowingly cross contaminate all the time. It is often frustrating to only eat plan meat and vegs. With as many people with gluten issues the cruise industry should be able to see they provide for their guest.

Sorry just a soap box issue,

Becky

We (anyone with any allergy issue) have to be the responsible part of the equation. We cannot assume the dining staff at even the local resturant will provide a safe option for us. With the number of cruisers and the different allergies present the cruise lines do a great job keeping the buffet and MDR as risk free as they do. I have worked for more than 2 decades in critical care and the number of people that I have seen personally with major life threatening issues is over-the-top! Someone touches or mishandles something and the reaction becomes a critical problem especially for the littlest child. I have severe shell fish allergies and am aways concerned about the use of a grill or the use of tongs, even a serving platter. I do understand the OPs concern. Speak with dining asap prior to the cruis and then once on ship. They are very helpful (have 2 dear friends with gluten allergies, one very extreme) and they both cruise 3-4 times a year without issues. They both always inform the medical staff once on ship and present a letter to them just in case that lists the teatment they need. I can manage with just 2 epi-pens but hope to never need one when on holiday. Back to the island lunch, return to ship, eat and then return to the island. Much safer and yes I do understand that you want your child to have the same options as everyone else and to enjoy the cook out but if allergy is severe, why even risk it?

I get very frustrated when people who do not have real knowledge about a gluten free diet comment that you can have meat, veg, fruit etc. First of all I know what is naturally gluten free BUT that is not the problem. The problem is someone touching bread or gluten objects and then touching the non gluten items. Servers unknowingly cross contaminate all the time. It is often frustrating to only eat plan meat and vegs. With as many people with gluten issues the cruise industry should be able to see they provide for their guest.

Sorry just a soap box issue,

Becky

EXACTLY. We were on the Enchantment last January with my celiac DD. They took excellent care of her in the MDR. But on Coco Cay, she was not able to eat. They were not prepared for gluten free on the island.

EXACTLY. We were on the Enchantment last January with my celiac DD. They took excellent care of her in the MDR. But on Coco Cay, she was not able to eat. They were not prepared for gluten free on the island.

What happens to a celiac who eats a mildly cross-contaminated non-gluten free piece of food? Is it better or worse than going hungry for the day?

(Serious questions, actually wondering).

What happens to a celiac who eats a mildly cross-contaminated non-gluten free piece of food? Is it better or worse than going hungry for the day?

(Serious questions, actually wondering).

If the person has a gluten intolerance they may expierence fatigue, severe joint pain, and bowel changes. To a person who has Celiac's disese the symptoms vary, for me I have a cataract as a result of repeated gluten exposures over the year, and I am very sick for several days. If I have repeated exposures the symptoms are worse and longer with each exposure. It is not usually obvious, for example, soy sauce and worshiresauce have gluten in most of the items produced. BBQ sauce, some candy and ice cream, most cereals, oatmeal. It is not just as obvious as bread and most people do not recognize this fact. I am a NP and have a pretty good understanding of what I need to be concerned about, and almost never have an exposure at home. HOWEVER, going out always brings a certain level of concern and this cruise will be the first where I have to be gluten free. I am sure they will do a good job at keeping the gluten away, but I just get frustrated on here when those who dont really have a good grasp of what a gluten allery try to help (And believe me I know they are trying to help, and I appreciate that). It really could be disasterous in some cases.

Becky

To answer the question of "what happens?" i can only speak for my 7yr old son, who has celiacs, diagnosed about 2yrs ago.

If he ingests a little bit of gluten, from cross contamination or some other "small" way- he gets very moody, tired, his legs hurt (joints, but he just complains with a vague "leg pain), and he is just out of sorts for a few days. Doesn't want to play, cries easily, very emotional.

If he actually get full on "glutened"- as in accidently eating a whole portion of something that contains gluten- it looks much different. All of the above happen- but add to that: Within a few hours he will become very very nauseous, start to vomit, have diareah, and get a rash on his neck/ torso. The vomiting and naseua are pretty short lived, a few hours. But the rash and other symptoms stick around for about 3 days.

Thankfully- we have been able to avoid him being "glutened" very much, but it has happened.

I agree, with what others have said. For People who cannot have gluten it's much more, than "avoid the bread". Bc gluten is in most sauces, and even things your would normally think we're safe. BBQ? Im betting NOT. I think in this case- id return to the ship for lunch. I know- a PITA but better than having a sick child.

Archived