The GRAND TOUR of Celebrity Eclipse & S-Class Ships in Pictures and Video - Part 2

cruisetrail

Celebrity S-Class Promenade Deck - something that does not exist.

From the glorious era of luxury ocean liners a proper promenade deck has been a quintessence of classy sea travel.

Unfortunately, this is where Celebrity S-Class "modern luxury" almost hits the bottom of cruise ships hierarchy (there are worse examples but just a few).

A pomenade deck does not exist.

There are two dead end passages between lifeboats and the superstructure on both sides of the ship (with three small openings) that by no means can be considered a promenade deck.

24x0sud.jpg

Forward dead end:

55fshu.jpg

Aft dead end:

zlzned.jpg

This is something that should not have happened on a cruise ship:

303enmv.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by cruisetrail

Those three openings are like rays of sun in the kingdom of darkness.

dzfgnb.jpg

The larger one is located under the hump.

34ru2vb.jpg

Starboard side (near Cafe Al Bacio):

xga3qs.jpg

Port side is reserved for smokers.

A stale smell of cigarettes is quite unpleasant here.

2nbvibd.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by cruisetrail

xcsrbm.jpg

Be careful walking in this corridor...

Celebrity Eclipse

ff7cq1.jpg

This is a promenade deck on a proper cruise ship.

Enjoy staying in shadow, strolling, jogging, reading books, watching scenery...

ea1u0i.jpg

Promenade Deck Summary

The lack of promenade deck is a huge design flaw of Celebrity S-Class ship.

2416sfb.jpg

To be continued...

I have really enjoyed your fantastic pictures and in depth cabin information. Do you have any info on Silhouette cabins 7282 & 7284 on the hump? Since these cabins are right by the elevators I was wondering if noise is an issue. Are there lifeboats directly below? We will be sailing in 2 weeks.

Thank you very much.

I see by your signature that you have cruised on 9 different lines. Have you done any in depth analysis of any other lines, or say the Celebrity M class ships to the extent that you have done for the S class? And if so, can you share them, or provide links to them?

I have really enjoyed your fantastic pictures and in depth cabin information. Do you have any info on Silhouette cabins 7282 & 7284 on the hump? Since these cabins are right by the elevators I was wondering if noise is an issue. Are there lifeboats directly below? We will be sailing in 2 weeks.

Thank you very much.

We just got off of the Silhouette, first week in cabin 7286. It was the first angled one back side of the hump and right next to 7284. We didn't hear any noise from the elevators. I don't think it should be a problem for you either. I don't think the lifeboats should be a problem as you should be extending out past them.

We just got off of the Silhouette, first week in cabin 7286. It was the first angled one back side of the hump and right next to 7284. We didn't hear any noise from the elevators. I don't think it should be a problem for you either. I don't think the lifeboats should be a problem as you should be extending out past them.

Thank you Twosit. We are really looking forward to our upcoming cruise on the Silhouette. I hope you enjoyed your cruise!

I'm afraid to even ask after reading through all these pages....any info on Reflection cabin number 6192? TA and Celebrity rep said it was obstructed but nothing I should worry about. Now after looking at some pics I'm very concerned. Any thoughts? Thanks! :confused::confused: plus this is the first balcony experience for us

Edited by MCKC

I see by your signature that you have cruised on 9 different lines. Have you done any in depth analysis of any other lines, or say the Celebrity M class ships to the extent that you have done for the S class? And if so, can you share them, or provide links to them?

I will probably publish them.

Not sure in what form - here on in a blog.

That will be reviews of the leaders only, not M-Class.

Honestly, other reviews are much easier to do.

This is the conroversy and various design problems of S-Class ships that required so much "in depth" work.

What is purpose of this thread :confused:

There is a ton of great information, and most negative against the outside of the ship

Do you u think people should be traveling on other cruise lines ?

As mentioned above this is an in-depth review of Celebrity S-Class ships with a focus on the ship design.

You cannot blame a doctor if an X-ray shows a tumor.

The purpose of this thread is information, education and critical analysis.

This is Cruise Critic.

I think people will be traveling on ships they like. :)

Edited by cruisetrail

I will probably publish them.

Not sure in what form - here on in a blog.

That will be reviews of the leaders only, not M-Class.

Honestly, other reviews are much easier to do.

This is the conroversy and various design problems of S-Class ships that required so much "in depth" work.

What do you mean by "the leaders only"?

It seems to me that you are creating the controversy with your opinions of the perceived shortfalls of the design of the ships.... To the point that you seem to be obsessed with convincing people that the S class are just lousy ships. Dd you spend your entire vacation just photographing an S class ship?

I'm afraid to even ask after reading through all these pages....any info on Reflection cabin number 6192? TA and Celebrity rep said it was obstructed but nothing I should worry about. Now after looking at some pics I'm very concerned. Any thoughts? Thanks! :confused::confused: plus this is the first balcony experience for us

"I should worry about" - it depends.

TA and Celebrity Rep have nothing to worry about.

Consumers might have.

To be on the safe side I would carefully avoid balcony cabins on deck 6 except a few nice balconies on the front "hump" and possibly aft looking ones (as a kind of a special choice) or accept them as a free upgrade from an inside cabin.

6192 on the Reflection will have lifeboats in front of the balcony.

They won't obstruct the whole view completely but they will spoil the view completely.

Another bad thing is that 6192 on the Reflection overlooks the largest lifeboats - tenders that are about twice the size (volume) of the regular ones.

In the picture below: 6194 (on the Silhouette) that is located where 6192 is on the Reflection. The balcony will overlook the "cockpit" of the tender and a huge davit a bit forward.

Note that tenders on the Reflection are slightly larger (higher roof) than on the Silhouette.

The insert: tenders vs regular lifeboats on the Reflection.

23uo08k.jpg

Edited by cruisetrail

Wow! You certainly have a lot of information. Thank you for sharing it with us. Your photos are amazing, too.

We are sailing on the Reflection next month and have cabin #1614. I am hoping you might have some information on this cabin. It's like choosing a "pig in a poke" for me. Just give me a dart board with the cabin numbers and away I go.

We next sail on the Eclipse. I did not see any info on our cabin posted by you. We will be in #9306. Would you be able to give us any info on this one, also?

Thank you so much for all your time and expertise. We do appreciate it. Sorry there have to be some "naysayers" out there.

Happy Sailing!

GiGiAnn

Thank you for all the great pictures and information. We will be on the Soltice in May in an AQ for the first time. Cabin #1634. Can you provide any information or pictures? We are in a higher deck than I would like and more towards the aft. My husband is challenged by motion sickness so any thoughts on that would also be appreciated. Thanks again.

Hi - My wife and I sailed the Equinox last summer in the Mediterranean with our adult children. We were in cabins 1632 and 1634. There were absolutely no problems with these cabins. We would book either of them again. I personally like 1632 better as it has the bed by the balcony. Enjoy your cruise!

Wow! You certainly have a lot of information. Thank you for sharing it with us. Your photos are amazing, too.

We are sailing on the Reflection next month and have cabin #1614. I am hoping you might have some information on this cabin. It's like choosing a "pig in a poke" for me. Just give me a dart board with the cabin numbers and away I go.

We next sail on the Eclipse. I did not see any info on our cabin posted by you. We will be in #9306. Would you be able to give us any info on this one, also?

Thank you so much for all your time and expertise. We do appreciate it. Sorry there have to be some "naysayers" out there.

Happy Sailing!

GiGiAnn

1106 on the Silhouette (picture) is located in the same place as 1614 on the Reflection (in relation to the hump). You'll have a strut on your balcony.

1614 on the Reflection overlooks lifeboats the same way but it will be one deck higher (Reflection has one extra deck added).

9306 is far enough from the overhang.

9306 overlooks lifeboats (not too close though).

Enjoy your cruise.

2rmt8hw.jpg

1106 on the Silhouette (picture) is located in the same place as 1614 on the Reflection (in relation to the hump). You'll have a strut on your balcony.

1614 on the Reflection overlooks lifeboats the same way but it will be one deck higher (Reflection has one extra deck added).

9306 is far enough from the overhang.

9306 overlooks lifeboats (not too close though).

Enjoy your cruise.

2rmt8hw.jpg

Thanks so much for the info. Guess we'll make the best of it, as it is probably too late to change.

Take care.

GiGiAnn

We do appreciate it. Sorry there have to be some "naysayers" out there.

While the photos are very good, IMNSVHO, the OP is the naysayer on here. I'm still puzzled as to why so much effort has been expended to dis X.