Which Christmas Market?

Cruise Junky

We are thinking of booking a Christmas Market cruise and I have a question for the ladies. I have two down jackets, one hot pink and one bright green. Will I feel out of place if I wore either one of these jackets or should I just go with the basic black?

I had a green coat... and my husband always said he could pick me out of crowd much easier with a bright colour!!! Lots of black/navy in the "swell" of people.

IMHO - I would suggest a) whatever is warm b) easy to pack c) a plan for "waterproof" if it rains - as the most important things to consider.

Fran

• 9 months later...

Just booked the Viking Freya for November 30, 2014, Romantic Danube tour to see the Christmas Markets!

We have done Viking cruises in China along with their land tour and it was fabulous! Hoping for the same experience!

Would love to hear from others booked on this tour, and some that take it in 2013 to know if anything new is happening...I love the idea of Cruise Critic publishing something about the market in each port...that would be great!

Bobbie

We are thinking of booking a Christmas Market cruise and I have a question for the ladies. I have two down jackets, one hot pink and one bright green. Will I feel out of place if I wore either one of these jackets or should I just go with the basic black?

There are lots of European visitors with brightly colored ski jackets. I would wear the one you like the best. I have an orange short down jacket and a black full length down coat. I like the longer length in really cold weather as it keeps my legs warm.

If you are doing a land tour, don't miss the beautiful medieval town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. A gorgeous quaint walled town that is perfectly preserved. Great christmas stores too. It's west of Nuremberg.

Do a google image search of Rothenburg ....it looks exactly like all the photos. Beautiful! Stay in the town and explore on foot.

We were there in the fall, but everyone told us it is magical at Christmas.

I definitely would make a side trip there.

Just booked the Viking Freya for November 30, 2014, Romantic Danube tour to see the Christmas Markets!

We have done Viking cruises in China along with their land tour and it was fabulous! Hoping for the same experience!

Would love to hear from others booked on this tour, and some that take it in 2013 to know if anything new is happening...I love the idea of Cruise Critic publishing something about the market in each port...that would be great!

Bobbie

We are also going on this cruise. My husband and I went from Vienna to Nurnberg in 2008 so we've been to many of these same stops. We'll be traveling with my sister and BIL who haven't done a river cruise before. I can't wait!

Hello cruisejunky,

having about 30 Christams markets to choose from within four weeks and within 50 miles of where I live I am biased towards the Rhine area. A land trip is a great chance to explore markets that are within reach of the river cruise lines. Therefore check out some along the Rhine or Moselle and go further inland. Having said that, Munich sounds a great option. You are more likely to get lots of snow in Bavaria than in the Rhine area.

A site to explore with tipps on markets in castles, palaces and short ones only opening on a specific weekend is this. Though beware of inaccuracies, no guarantees for the information contained.

http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/

Also perhaps have a look at the local cruise companies overing day trips or evening round trips with festive fare. One for the Rhine is:

http://www.k-d.com/en/home/

My favourite weekend market at the moment is Traben-Trarbach on the Moselle. The Christmas market is in the old wine cellars.

Enjoy the planning, lots of opportunities to chose from!

notamermaid