Child falls from cruise ship

ceetee

Well, you wouldn't see a leashed dog falling through a railing and down a deck on his face, right? So I guess yes, leashed like a dog. We wore them at the zoo because there were 4 of us and we were fast and adventurous. I don't recall feeling demeaned as a baby or toddler because I was safe. :rolleyes:

I was raised with one also and i am a healthy adult today. However, my mother did get odd stares as to why she was walking around with a empty leash! Yep I would still escape and go hide. Accidents happen, I feel for those parents.

When will I ever learn not to be surprised at all the perfect people who inhabit message boards? :o

There's quite a distance from perfect to letting your toddler fall through a railing on a cruise ship.

I'm not perfect (despite what you may have heard) but I'm 100% sure that would not have happened to my son when we cruised at that age.

I did not let him near the railing unless I had hold of him or was carrying him.

I was terrified of what mom would do to me if she saw our boy near the railing!!!

There's quite a distance form perfect to leting your toddler fall through a railing on a cruise ship.

I'm not perfect (despite what you may have heard) but I'm 100% sure that would not have happened to my son when we cruised at that age.

I did not let him near the railing unless I had hold of him or was carrying him.

I was terrified of what mom would do to me if she saw our boy near the railing!!!

Agreed...

I managed to raise 4 kids to adulthood. Was it without incident? Helz no! My youngest was Harry Houdini! Those flimsy little seatbelts in shopping carts? HA! I ended up making a vest that went over his head with straps that ended in large lobster-claw hooks that hooked to the farthest end of the cart, just to keep him from standing up in the seat as soon as he could stand. Even so, I was turned away for 30 seconds to peruse the margerine and by the time I turned back, he had managed to twist himself around, open the vacuum-sealed ice cream container and started eating it with his fingers.

I was in the bank one day, at the desk opening an account, with 3 kids (the eldest 2, ages 10 & 7, and "Harry Houdini" at age 2. Before I knew it, he had jetted away from the pack, made it through 2, count em, 2, sets of heavy double doors (not automatic) and was finally caught by eldest DD after having run nearly all the way around the building to the drive-through. Blink of an eye.

If I had been able to find the nicely tooled leather child harness that my mother-in-law had used years before, he would have been the perfect candidate.

Another time, same child - not a Harry Houdini move, but a dumb luck move: at the ice rink, dad has just finished playing hockey. Little Harry is running to greet dad at the same time dad is bending down to scoop up child. Child jumps up and somehow OVER dad who, with the true reflexes of a goalie, catches him by one leg. Had he not caught him, it would have been head-first onto the concrete floor. Blink of an eye.

If it were possible to predict accidents, there would be none.

[quote name='ceetee']On the Orlando news just now: A child fell from Monarch OTS last night after leaving Port Canaveral. The ship returned to port and the child was taken to Arnold Palmer Hospital for children in Orlando.[/QUOTE]

Haven't heard a word....

[COLOR=darkred]I used the harnesses on my now 20 and 13 yr old sons. Neither of my boys ever had any fear of getting hurt or of danger. They could unfasten and crawl out of things faster than you could ever imagine. If the dad had been reported as leaving the child to go to the bar and grab a drink then yep he needs everything he gets BUT come on accidents happen and we do not need to add to the guilt he is already feeling by adding fuel to the fire.[/COLOR]

[quote name='cruzincurt']I'm not a parent but I guess you can't use the wireless shock collar?:eek:

Just kidding, accidents happen in the blink of an eye.[/quote]
This comment reminded me of when I was young mom and dad had us convinced that they had electric shock wire installed down the center of the back seat in the car and if we got to fighting they would turn it on to shock us if we crossed it, LOL:p

[quote name='Riggy84']I think we should all perhaps stop jumping to conclusions. Do we not remember ever so recently the lady who was involved in the medivac who was accused of riding the zip wire?
We don't know what happened with the toddler, and we may never know. But imagine what the father must be thinking if he reads this??
Thankfully the baby is fine, that's all we need to know![/QUOTE]

I agree 100 percent.

[quote name='temple1']When will I ever learn not to be surprised at all the perfect people who inhabit message boards? :o

If even half the population was as perfect as our friends on the boards there would be so many fewer evergency rooms, almost no one in a cast and never a sprained ankle or broken bone. If I were as perfect as the people I read on the boards I would have no dings in my car, I would not have received a speeding ticket last year and I would not need to make New Year resolutions because how can you improve on perfect?

Sorry the little one was injured. I am sure the parents feel awful and it will be a lonnngg time before the little one is turned loose again.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it any better.

[quote name='DrD']There's quite a distance from perfect to letting your toddler fall through a railing on a cruise ship.

I was terrified of what mom would do to me if she saw our boy near the railing!!![/quote]

Unless you held him all the time, you could never be 100% sure of this not happening.

Archived