Mitsugirlys STAR end of the world/pre-Christmas cruise detailed review & pictorial

mitsugirly

...walking right along the water, past all of the animals and I dead stop in my tracks. Um, are those monkeys in the trees just hanging out? With no cage? Nothing separating them from us other than a small little stream? Do they not like water at all? What do they do when it rains? They all go inside the little house on the land there? It was kind of a different experience for sure. I believe they were howlers monkeys...although I don't recall ever hearing a "howl" the entire day. I guess they were pretty content then right?

PC190502-M.jpg

I guess this is their oceanfront property:

PC190501-M.jpg

PC190500-M.jpg

PC190503-M.jpg

Right past that is the pier that you walk out to snorkel on.

PC190507-M.jpg

PC190506-M.jpg

It was time to finally pick our spot for the day. We grabbed some chairs from a stack and put them where we wanted them under the tree. Plenty of shade or sun for whatever your little heart desires. I prefer the sun, but the hubby had some red shoulders (not as red as they normally get on most of our cruises, but a little red) and decided the shade was going to be "our spot" for the day. It's ok, I stayed out in the water 99% of the time anyhow...which I always do.

PC190508-M.jpg

Of course Sakari couldn't wait to let us settle in before she was off and in to the water.

PC190509-M.jpg

The water felt great and it was crystal clear as you can tell from this picture...you can see her entire body in the water.

PC190511-M.jpg

One of the Maya Key employees was walking around with one of the monkeys on his shoulder. He was letting everyone know that in 1/2 hour he would be over in front of the "Monkey Land" aka running free on their own prime beachfront property area...and that he would give the kids a chance to hold the monkey if they wanted.

Well, last year we did the zip lining with Victor Bodden and afterwards you get to hold the monkeys. Sakari was bitten by one of them. Yep, she still remembers that and said the monkeys are mean. She decided not to go over to hold the monkey.

PC190510-M.jpg

PC190512-M.jpg

PC190513-M.jpg

If you think you are going to see anything from the beach area water...think again. All you will find are little itty bitty fish:

PC190515-M.jpg

Wait...what is that sound? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it, no wait, back up...yes, it's a plane!!! It was flying low too! I loved it. It was almost a mini-Maho Beach from St Marteen. WOO HOO. I could deal with this. There was a landing strip right "next door" to this island so the planes fly in real low. I never really heard them coming until they were right up on us and I tried all day long to get a video I believe with no success. I guess that gives me another excuse to go back. :D

PC190514-M.jpg

PC190518-M.jpg

PC190519-M.jpg

Sorry, at this point I did not realize that my camera came with a setting for "planes moving fast" on it. I would discover that setting later in the cruise.

Edited by mitsugirly

Just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying your fabulous review. I know how time consuming it is to upload the pics (at least it was for me when I did one of my cruise to Bermuda on the Pride).

Thanks for all your hard work!:)

Just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying your fabulous review. I know how time consuming it is to upload the pics (at least it was for me when I did one of my cruise to Bermuda on the Pride).

Thanks for all your hard work!:)

Thank you so much. It means a lot to me to know that people are enjoying the review. I have spent most of my "should be asleep" hours working on it. I will need a vacation when I'm done with this review. :p

After this, we decided to go snorkeling. This was the moment I had been waiting for, talking about prior to the cruise, read about, and hurried my family around the grounds for...the moment had come.

However, I'm going to make you guys wait until tomorrow (which is officially today since once again it's after 2am in the morning) to get the AWESOME snorkeling pictures that I took at this AWESOME snorkeling site. :DWOW! That's the only way to describe it...it's that FINDING NEMO WOW.

I am going to share with you some more pictures from around the grounds there. I actually took these toward the end of the day before we left as some "last minute in case I didn't get them 10 times before this one" shots. So, they may be random. You guys like random right? It keeps you on your toes.

PC190593-M.jpg

PC190594-M.jpg

PC190595-M.jpg

PC190598-M.jpg

Can you see the big black bird? They were everywhere making noise. What is it about the Caribbean birds and the way they sound? Why don't we have birds like that? You hear this sound and you know you're in the Caribbean.

PC190599-M.jpg

Thank you so much. It means a lot to me to know that people are enjoying the review. I have spent most of my "should be asleep" hours working on it. I will need a vacation when I'm done with this review. :p

Your quite welcome:). Can I go to sleep now, or is there more to come tonight, er this morning:p?

In this building you will find a HUGE gift shop/store and also the restrooms:

PC190609-M.jpg

When you first walk in to the restroom part, it is all open and you will find the lockers here. I did not see anyone using them. Then from there, you go in to either the men or womens restroom:

PC190766-M.jpg

The restrooms are really nice, very spacious, and very clean:

PC190767-M.jpg

PC190613-M.jpg

PC190610-M.jpg

PC190614-M.jpg

I am going to leave you tonight with my little creation that I made that day for everyone back home...in the cold, some with snow...this one's for you. :p :D

Meet Sandy the sandwoman:

PC190633-L.jpg

As Fergie always says "my humps, my humps, my lovely lady lumps"

Edited by mitsugirly

When I woke up this morning, my second thought (first being "where's my coffee") was "I can't wait to see what's in store on the island." We've booked this for our 1/20 cruise and are so excited to visit first hand. Thanks for the terrific review thus far!

?...As Fergie always says "my humps, my humps, my lovely lady lumps"

Really loving your review. Makes me want to visit the Carribbean. I look forward to your daily updates. Your daughter is gorgeous. She will break a lot of hearts some day. Keep the updates coming. Ken

Ps..I don't get the quote above..I mean I think I know what it says but who is Fergie? Sarah Ferguson?:D....oh, oh, is it Black Eyed Peas? Seriously, that is how my train of thought went!:D

I did do a lot of reading up on Goff and was almost going to go there until I found out about the Starfish at Bannister. So, I thought I would give it a try and I'm glad that I did.

Yea, I have read people say they "do the snorkeling tour" with you and you pretty much can't go off on your own, except right there in front of the beach, which there wasn't anything to see from what I had heard. If we went there, it would just have to be a "lazy beach day" and I'm fine with that. Did you have to pay extra for the snorkel "tour"? Just wondering. I don't recall if people ever said.

I just went and read your review and it looks so pretty there and VERY small of course (which I already knew). But it definitely looks like a place I would love to visit. I just can't imagine 100 people being on the island as small as it is. :confused: How far off the shore is the actual reef for snorkeling?

Sorry... I just saw this. Things got busy her :)

When we went on the Carnival excursion everything was included. At the time it was around $50. They split the snorkeling into two groups, one who left from shore and one who went around the other side of the island by boat. My wife wanted to go with the shore group so I stuck with her. We were never more than 50 yards from shore and when we reach the end of the island we saw the boat group and they were about 75 - 100 yards from shore.

As far as the crowd, it really didn't feel crowded. Even when we went to eat we didn't have to wait. It's small, but people were doing different things. We enjoyed the finger of sand that is in our pictures and there were a few other couples walking there, but most were in the water or on other parts of the island.

Thanks for the great pictures at Maya Cay! We were there in 2009 when it was still Fins and Flippers and loved it! I was very happy when I read that you can stay all day! I was disappointed when I read the NCL description that showed a duration of 4 hours!

I know that you haven't gotten to the snorkeling part yet, but I'm jumping the gun :D Do they still rent fins at the gift shop? We normally bring our own masks and snorkels but not the fins.

We did this exact same itinerary last year and did Maya Key, and booked the SAME CRUISE for this year JUST BECAUSE OF MAYA KEY... it was THAT GREAT. So glad you enjoyed it... my kids were 4 and 6 last year, and they loved the snorkeling- it was so easy for kids to do too. My 6 year old was out there for at least 2 hours solid... I can't wait to see your pictures! We are headed there for our second time in March....

We did this exact same itinerary last year and did Maya Key, and booked the SAME CRUISE for this year JUST BECAUSE OF MAYA KEY... it was THAT GREAT. So glad you enjoyed it... my kids were 4 and 6 last year, and they loved the snorkeling- it was so easy for kids to do too. My 6 year old was out there for at least 2 hours solid... I can't wait to see your pictures! We are headed there for our second time in March....

what were other excursions that your kids loved, if you don;t mind sharing? we are doing this itinerary in feb, 1'st time, with kids around yours, so wondering what would be appropriate & fun.

Thank you so much for such detailed review, loving it. we are doing this itinerary in feb. what are your experiences regarding Dolphin encounters, or Mayan ruins, have you done any of those with your little girl? We've 2 little ones, and were wondering if we can do anything different than going to the beach.

When I woke up this morning, my second thought (first being "where's my coffee") was "I can't wait to see what's in store on the island." We've booked this for our 1/20 cruise and are so excited to visit first hand. Thanks for the terrific review thus far!

I woke up this morning and thought "I need to get this snorkeling portion of my review" but my first thought was "where's my caffiene". :D You will love this place if you like animals, replica ruins, snorkeling, swimming in the pool, and beautiful grounds. ;)

Really loving your review. Makes me want to visit the Carribbean. I look forward to your daily updates. Your daughter is gorgeous. She will break a lot of hearts some day. Keep the updates coming. Ken

Ps..I don't get the quote above..I mean I think I know what it says but who is Fergie? Sarah Ferguson?:D....oh, oh, is it Black Eyed Peas? Seriously, that is how my train of thought went!:D

Thanks so much for the comments. I really appreciate it.

Yes, Fergie from Black Eyed Peas and her song My hump....referring to the snowwomans "humps". Sorry, it was late and it just popped in to my head when I posted that picture. :o

Sorry... I just saw this. Things got busy her :)

When we went on the Carnival excursion everything was included. At the time it was around $50. They split the snorkeling into two groups, one who left from shore and one who went around the other side of the island by boat. My wife wanted to go with the shore group so I stuck with her. We were never more than 50 yards from shore and when we reach the end of the island we saw the boat group and they were about 75 - 100 yards from shore.

As far as the crowd, it really didn't feel crowded. Even when we went to eat we didn't have to wait. It's small, but people were doing different things. We enjoyed the finger of sand that is in our pictures and there were a few other couples walking there, but most were in the water or on other parts of the island.

Thanks for the info. I think we my try this out next time we are here. I know it looks really primative. I was just worried about the amount of people on such a small island.

Thanks for the great pictures at Maya Cay! We were there in 2009 when it was still Fins and Flippers and loved it! I was very happy when I read that you can stay all day! I was disappointed when I read the NCL description that showed a duration of 4 hours!

I know that you haven't gotten to the snorkeling part yet, but I'm jumping the gun :D Do they still rent fins at the gift shop? We normally bring our own masks and snorkels but not the fins.

I know it's too bad you can't do this on your own anymore. Especially since it's so close to the cruise ship. (Well at least for NCL) But now, you can only get here by cruise ship. They say on their website: "Direct bookings are not available, as space is limited and our capacity is reserved for the cruise excursions. “Maya Key Private Island Retreat” can conveniently be reserved through your cruise line’s website or at the shore excursions desks onboard your ship." I wonder what kind of strings the cruiselines had to pull for that one.

As for the snorkeling rental...someone else will have to chime in for that one. We have our own equipment, including snorkeling vest. So I don't know about rentals. Sorry.

Absolutely gorgeous, beautiful pictures! Kim - you have really outdone yourself this time. Keep it coming. Cruise Critic should feature your review. You certainly get my vote. :D

Awww, now I'm blushing. :o Thank you so much.

Roatan is becoming one of my favorite places to visit now. Zip lining and snorkeling at West Bay last time, Maya Key this time, winning!!!!!

what were other excursions that your kids loved, if you don;t mind sharing? we are doing this itinerary in feb, 1'st time, with kids around yours, so wondering what would be appropriate & fun.

In Costa Maya, we booked day passes with Maya Chan, and all-inclusive resort. It was also fantastic, and we are doing it again this year. Beach was beautiful, and service was outstanding. Food was excellent. They had all the beach toys kids could want- buckets, shovels, rafts, floating chairs, see-thru kayaks, snorkeling stuff, etc. Each family gets their own palapa right on the beach with chairs, a bed, a hammock, and table. Their website is easy to find online.

In Belize we did the Bannister Island beach break (like mitsugirly). It was very convenient to just go right there from the ship (if you book it through NCL- it's called Beach Break or something). This year we are also going back to Bannister Island but with Coral Breeze because they include a stop at a reef first, and the kids are more into snorkeling now (not great snorkeling right at Bannister, but beach is lovely).

In Cozumel last year we did the Atlantis submarine tour- it was fantastic. Every seat is in front of a big window, and you can see the whole reef. They go over 100 feet down. We saw turtles, rays, sharks, and the whole reef system very easily. Kids loved it, but since it's pricey (about $100 per person) we decided not to do it again this year. This year I'm thinking about either Chakannab or just taking a taxi to one of the beaches- possibly Playa Palancar. But I haven't decided yet.

Good luck with planning- it is a fantastic itinerary!