new to msc

keeser

Hi everyone. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids 7 and 13. We have only been on one cruise and that was 5 days royal carribbean liberty of the seas to europe which was faantastic. We loved it and so did the kids. Now we would like to do a 7 night cruise in Europe - ish area this summer. However we find prices with royal and norwegian very high and have been advised that msc would be better value.

So my question is - would we find a big difference on msc. I do not know anything about their ships or how they cater for families or kids. I have had davina ship recommended to me by a travel agent. So what do you cruisers think. What would you do?????

Tks for reading

I haven't sailed RCI but my sister has a few times. MSC certainly cater for families as they let kids sharing with 2 fare paying adults sail free. They don't however have as much "stuff" onboard like rock climbing wLls, skating rinks etc that the RCI ships do.

The Fantasia class ships (Fantasia, Splendida, Divina and the soon to be launched Preziosa) are the biggest and have the most extra features although some carry an

additional charge.

Biggest difference you'll encounter is one is very American and the other (MSC) is very Italian. They cater for English speaking passengers but you will be in the minority not the majority as you would on RCI

Hi everyone. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids 7 and 13. We have only been on one cruise and that was 5 days royal carribbean liberty of the seas to europe which was faantastic. We loved it and so did the kids. Now we would like to do a 7 night cruise in Europe - ish area this summer. However we find prices with royal and norwegian very high and have been advised that msc would be better value.

So my question is - would we find a big difference on msc. I do not know anything about their ships or how they cater for families or kids. I have had davina ship recommended to me by a travel agent. So what do you cruisers think. What would you do?????

Tks for reading

First off kids under 18 years of age sharing the same cabin as 2 adults get the cruise for free, only paying airfares, port taxes and half price gratuities. A significant saving.

MSC are very different from RCI.

1) There will be only a small minority of english spesking guest on board, unless you sail from Southampton.

2) Any announcements, including the introdutions to shows will be in 5 or 6 languages

3) food is heavily italian influenced and varies , in my experience of 8 cruises with MSC, from 6 out of 10 to 9 out of ten. The main dinner will be 6 or 7 courses, and you arr unlikely to get many vegatbles with your meat course.

Typically you get

Starters

Salad

Soup

Pasta

Main course

Cheese

Desserts

4) Entertainment is mostly visual and westend show type song,dance and gymnastic/acrobatic displays lasting about 20 - 25 minutes

There are usually a lot of different types of music in and around the bars and lounges.

5) Excursions tend to be a bit pricey and you may have two languages used on your trip, but that isn't necassarily a bad thing.

6) Drinks packages can be quite reasonable (particularly popular right now is the £20 pp per day AI package called Allegrissimo), but all your party must have them, unless they are the voucher type pavkages eg 12 beers / cocktails.

Wine starts at 16 euros per bottle or 7 euros for a 500ml carrafe of house wine

All drinks not bought through a package incur a 15% gratuuity charge

7) Patience may need to be exersied when talking to front of house staff as they are using English as their 2nd or 3rd language but I've always got there in the end.

8) There is a 7 euro pp per day gratuties charge added to your account daily, this can be removed, i've never done so myslf, but may be difficult to do.

9) they do have kids/teens clubs but they are multilingual and i have no personal experience of using them

10) All the ships i've been on are absolutely stunning and spotlessly clean.

11) certain ports have priority boarding with on line checkin. Boarding can be a bit of a nightmare otherwise

I think they are well worth a go if you go with an open mind and realise it will be a cosmopolitan experience.

here is a typical menu

P1000534-1.jpg

Any other questions please feel free to ask and i'l do my best to answer them or provide an image of any relevant info i have

Pete

Tks for reading

I have spent 38 nights aboard Royal Caribbean and, more recently, 16 aboard MSC.

Firstly, I will start with what I am least-qualified to answer. I don't have kids and have never cruised with any. However, from reading around this forum, as in all things the differences in the lines reflect differences in the cultures. Brits, Irish & North Americans expect to be able to dump their kids in some facility and pick them up later fully entertained (& tired). The Mediterranean expectation is that kids stay with their parents and extended family all the time even till late at night/early in the morning. I know there are activities and facilities there on MSC ships for different age ranges but many seem to think they are not as good as on other lines. There that over with....

I think in many ways you will find the MSC experience very similar to that of Royal Caribbean. The ships are equally beautiful and well thought out. If I were pushed, I would say there is a little more public space per guest on Royal Caribbean, noticeable in the main dining rooms and around the pools but that MSC ships have the edge in style and decor.

Other differences are:

1) There is much greater mix of nationalities aboard MSC and English speakers will be in a minority

2) Service is not anything like as hard sell on MSC - you won't get waiters asking if you want anything (every 20 minutes on RCI!!) unless you signal them

3) MSC is proudly Italian and everything on board has a deliberately Italian theme to it

4) Information in English can be limited and poor and you may feel you never really know what is going on or what you have ordered from the menu!

5) MSC don't provide water and coffee free of charge at lunch and dinner in the MDRs

6) Prices for extras aboard MSC are a tad lower on average than Royal Caribbean

7) Organised activities on sea days aboard MSC are mostly animation team led affairs ('Butlins-style') compared to lower key activities - classical duet playing in the atrium - aboard RCI

8) Comparable grades of inside, outside and cheaper balcony cabins are a little more spacious and slightly better equipped on MSC.

9) The sheets are polycotton on MSC as opposed to cotton on RCI.

10) There is all the Italian classical music, including opera, aboard MSC that is a signature of the line.

That is my personal summary. I hope it may help.

Tim.

Thankk you both very much for your replies. Do they have kids dinner menus i wonder. On RCI they had a leaflet that was left in your room each night outlining what was on the following day. Do MSC have that. The most trouble was trying to fit everything in. I think it was called the Compass. Also they had a lot of tribute nights which were great. I would be very grateful to see a compass sheet if anyone has it. I suppose I am afraid the kids will keep on about RCI if we were on it but really we could not justify or afford twice the price perhaps for RCI. Anyone out there who did RCI and then MCI.

Thanks for taking the time to respond:)

Thankk you both very much for your replies. Do they have kids dinner menus i wonder. On RCI they had a leaflet that was left in your room each night outlining what was on the following day. Do MSC have that. The most trouble was trying to fit everything in. I think it was called the Compass. Also they had a lot of tribute nights which were great. I would be very grateful to see a compass sheet if anyone has it. I suppose I am afraid the kids will keep on about RCI if we were on it but really we could not justify or afford twice the price perhaps for RCI. Anyone out there who did RCI and then MCI.

They don't have kids dinners as such but they do have an "always available" selection on the menu, see photgraph which in combinatiioon with the main menu can usually satisfy kids.

they have a daily MSC programme put on your bed every night with the following days events etc. and most of the info you require.

I'll scan one and upload it in the next coule of days

Always available menu

P1000636-1.jpg

Pete

Thank you all again for your replies.

We wouldn,t be using the child entertainment facilities as such. Our children prefer to stay with us, go to a show together etc. They are not interested in the drop off - collect facilities. They never got used to us using these facilities on any type of holiday - they just stay with us - we are Irish!

So I suppose i was wondering what sort of nightly family entertainment is available.

I will look closely now at the planner and tks to everyone. If you think of any things else please let me know. We probably would be embarking and disembarding in Venice. Is it far from airport to cruise and how have you found it getting from one to the other.

Tks Guys

Hi Kesser,

I agree above all. As you see we sail both RCCL and MSC. If you go to Europe, in my opinion, take MSC because these are port intensive and kids are almost free, we pay US$159 for our 2 kids ages 15 & 17 + around $20 each for taxes. (Kids less than 11 YO, sail free, just pay tax). With MSC, there isn't any thing like RCCL, like rock climbing wall, ice skating or wander around the Royal Promenade etc. My DS tried to join the MSC teenager group but most of them English is not their first language so your kids may find a little different or may be boring. My DD not even bother to join after all, she ended up staying with us all the time. The reason we chose MSC again for our NE is the price, MSC price can't be beat for a family of 4 if you are on a budget like us. You will notice the price difference big time.

For Venice, there is a shuttle bus cost 6 euro each that run to/from airport to Piazzale Roma, then MSC offer free shuttle to the cruise port.

http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35&view_pc=!

Hi Kesser,

I agree above all. As you see we sail both RCCL and MSC. If you go to Europe, in my opinion, take MSC because these are port intensive and kids are almost free, we pay US$159 for our 2 kids ages 15 & 17 + around $20 each for taxes. (Kids less than 11 YO, sail free, just pay tax). With MSC, there isn't any thing like RCCL, like rock climbing wall, ice skating or wander around the Royal Promenade etc. My DS tried to join the MSC teenager group but most of them English is not their first language so your kids may find a little different or may be boring. My DD not even bother to join after all, she ended up staying with us all the time. The reason we chose MSC again for our NE is the price, MSC price can't be beat for a family of 4 if you are on a budget like us. You will notice the price difference big time.

For Venice, there is a shuttle bus cost 6 euro each that run to/from airport to Piazzale Roma, then MSC offer free shuttle to the cruise port.

http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35&view_pc=!

I have to correct you there, it's kids under 18 years that get the cruise fare free, they pay airfares and relevant taxes and a proportion ,either half or zero, dependant on age of the gratuities

here is a cut and paste from their web brochure showing the facts.

undr18_zps4ab4fb15.jpg

Gratuities

servce_zps8b10e874.jpg

Pete

Thank you all again for your replies.

We wouldn,t be using the child entertainment facilities as such. Our children prefer to stay with us, go to a show together etc. They are not interested in the drop off - collect facilities. They never got used to us using these facilities on any type of holiday - they just stay with us - we are Irish!

So I suppose i was wondering what sort of nightly family entertainment is available.

I will look closely now at the planner and tks to everyone. If you think of any things else please let me know. We probably would be embarking and disembarding in Venice. Is it far from airport to cruise and how have you found it getting from one to the other.

Tks Guys

There are TWO airports in Venice,

Marco Polo and Treviso, If you have MSC book your flights they also use Verona.

If you are travelling independantly then Marco Polo is best.

Four ways from the airport to the ship, dependant on your time available.

Options 3 and 4 involve moving your cases about 500 yards to the bus/taxi stop

1) land taxi cost 40 -50 euros , time 25 - 30 minutes

2) Airport bus and people mover 7 euros total per person (6 euros BUS + 1 euro People mover) 45 minutes - 1.5 hours

3) water bus (BLUE LINE) 16 euros pp , 2 hour trip past most of the sights

4) water taxi 110 euros for up to 5 people + 10 cases, trip 35 - 40 minutes.

YOu can get really good info on this site

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-transport.htm

I've done options 1,2 and 3 and would do option 3 every time if i have the required 3 hours + total time. I travelled BA and landed at 12.00 which is plenty of time for the water bus option.

Pete

Hi Skier52,

I believe every country has different rule from MSC, In US/Canada, kids less than 11 sail free and kids 17 & under between 12 and 17 are paying reduce fare, that is why I am taking my DS for his last time for just paying $159 + tax. Usually they pay between $99 and $159. Having said that, MSC changed this 2 years ago, my children were free before except paying about $30 tax. Can't get away with those taxes. Port charges are free for 3rd & 4th person in the same cabin.

I don't know about MSC Ireland. May be they have different rules for children.

Cheers,

Hi Skier52,

I believe every country has different rule from MSC, In US/Canada, kids less than 11 sail free and kids 17 & under between 12 and 17 are paying reduce fare, that is why I am taking my DS for his last time for just paying $159 + tax. Usually they pay between $99 and $159. Having said that, MSC changed this 2 years ago, my children were free before except paying about $30 tax. Can't get away with those taxes. Port charges are free for 3rd & 4th person in the same cabin.

I don't know about MSC Ireland. May be they have different rules for children.

Cheers,

Apologies for my post, but I only have access to the european brochures and was unaware that things are different over the pond

Sorry once again

Pete

Apologies for my post, but I only have access to the european brochures and was unaware that things are different over the pond

Sorry once again

Pete

It is no wonder you are surprised and it is not just 'over the pond' where things differ. Have a look at MSC's various European web sites to discover that the choice and price of cruises is totally different, the special offers are different and their terms and conditions are different. It is as if the core business of MSC Cruises is ... well cruises, but they devolve to the office in each country on how to market and sell them. It is common to have a five-times fare differential between different markets. It is then that one realises that the cost of water at dinner is insignificant.

Sorry once again

Pete

Don't worry.

Happy new year.

It is no wonder you are surprised and it is not just 'over the pond' where things differ. Have a look at MSC's various European web sites to discover that the choice and price of cruises is totally different, the special offers are different and their terms and conditions are different. It is as if the core business of MSC Cruises is ... well cruises, but they devolve to the office in each country on how to market and sell them. It is common to have a five-times fare differential between different markets. It is then that one realises that the cost of water at dinner is insignificant.

I agree Skipper Tim. Some people from here find out that if they book with a US TA, fares are cheaper where as if they book in their country, fares are higher, but again you have to show them your residence address or mailing address when booking. We know for a fact that cost of living in Europe is alot higher than North America. Especially northern europe. Sometimes I see MSC offers a 7 day caribbean for $300ish per person. This is cheaper than cooking at home!

I agree Skipper Tim. Some people from here find out that if they book with a US TA, fares are cheaper where as if they book in their country, fares are higher, but again you have to show them your residence address or mailing address when booking. We know for a fact that cost of living in Europe is alot higher than North America. Especially northern europe. Sometimes I see MSC offers a 7 day caribbean for $300ish per person. This is cheaper than cooking at home!

Thank you for that last quote, "This is cheaper than cooking at home!". I have friend who has always said, since being 18, that old people say things like "it is a meal in itself", "it's a death-trap" and "you couldn't do it at home for that" :-) He was, and still is, looking for something that applies to all three.

MSC offer their repositioning cruises from a flat £25/£35/£45 per night in the UK market (inside/outside/balcony) with no solo occupancy supplement. As far as I know, no other cruise line can even compete with that.

And yes, use a TA if you need to live somewhere else for booking purposes.

Here's the cheapest cruise I've ever found

MSC Lirica repositionng from Dubai to Southampton On March 10 th 2012

£199 for 21 nights, less than £10 per night. I also costed up a flight to Dubai at £304 which made the total cost per night less than £25.

wwwcruise118cropcopy.jpg

Pete

Here's the cheapest cruise I've ever found

MSC Lirica repositionng from Dubai to Southampton On March 10 th 2012

£199 for 21 nights, less than £10 per night. I also costed up a flight to Dubai at £304 which made the total cost per night less than £25.

wwwcruise118cropcopy.jpg

Pete

I think that may be too good to be true. The UK MSC website has the MSC Lirica in Antigua on 18th February departing on a 20 night re-positioning to Genoa ending 10th March (best available price £829). Mysteriously, there is a gap in Lirica's available itineraries until 25th March when she starts her regular Black Sea tour from Genoa. The Co-op however lists a 15 night cruise from 10th March where the Lirica doesn't leave Genoa! (No price is given).

What site were you using?

I think that may be too good to be true. The UK MSC website has the MSC Lirica in Antigua on 18th February departing on a 20 night re-positioning to Genoa ending 10th March (best available price £829). Mysteriously, there is a gap in Lirica's available itineraries until 25th March when she starts her regular Black Sea tour from Genoa. The Co-op however lists a 15 night cruise from 10th March where the Lirica doesn't leave Genoa! (No price is given).

What site were you using?

SORRY, I think i've misled you a bit as this was 10th March 2012,

I just put it up as an example of the cheap repositioning cruises that MSC sometimes do, and you can pick up a bargain if you keep a look out.

Pete

I have found this menu like which may be useful as it has examples of the children's menus. My children like the fact they can order from adult menus if they want or can mix and match so I'm sure it will be the same on MSC.

http://www.msccruisesagent.com/menus.aspx

We are cruising MSC for the first time with children too. My children's first experience cruising was on Independence of the Seas so they had the climbing wall, ice rink, mini golf etc but we have cruised with many different ships and companies who don't have all the extras and they have always had an excellent time. They see every new ship as a different experience to be enjoyed. My children always join the kids clubs (but only go when they want to and use the info delivered to the cabin to decide). Cruising Europe on MSC will have many different nationalities, when we sailed on Costa from Venice the children loved the club and made many friends from lots of different countries.

The price for families on MSC is too good to be true and cruising is a great way of seeing the world in style! (Costa is the only other company I know of where children sail for free) Europe is quite port intensive so you may find you spend less time on board than some other destinations particularly as cities like Rome are a fair distance from the port.

SORRY, I think i've misled you a bit as this was 10th March 2012,

I just put it up as an example of the cheap repositioning cruises that MSC sometimes do, and you can pick up a bargain if you keep a look out.

Pete

I was offered an unbeatable deal 2 weeks ago on the Lirica in 2 weeks time...it was only available one day fro gold members or higher...sail for free! Wish I'd could have gone, although return flights from UK to Martinique are not cheap. Guess they'd have rather had the onboard spend as an empty cabin.

A week ago, got another offer of doubling my club discount on a repo cruise which would have given me 40% off and no solo supplements. Alas I already have other cruises booked for this year, so dates didn't suit.as you say well worth keeping an eye out for offers.

Pete, ah yes, the 2012 changes the meaning of your post quite a bit. I didn't notice that.

I was offered an unbeatable deal 2 weeks ago on the Lirica in 2 weeks time...it was only available one day fro gold members or higher...sail for free! Wish I'd could have gone, although return flights from UK to Martinique are not cheap. Guess they'd have rather had the onboard spend as an empty cabin.

Wow, stunning! Dohop.com is a useful site for putting multiple flights together on separate tickets for the lowest fare. It is not as flexible as Skyscanner.net but turns up some surprises from time to time.

A week ago, got another offer of doubling my club discount on a repo cruise which would have given me 40% off and no solo supplements. Alas I already have other cruises booked for this year, so dates didn't suit.as you say well worth keeping an eye out for offers.

So, there are other benefits of being in the club. I will be lowly 'Classic' this time, but 'Silver' after that and just 8 or 9 nights away from 'Gold', depending upon how much I spend on board. Still, the laundry discount is 20% even on Classic and could well be valuable.

Archived