Tipping in addition to added gratuity

Smitheroo

... tip more to the waiter than the assistant waiter, and remember that the sommelier gets less than the waiter but more than the assistant waiter.

And also remember that only the sommelier shares in that 15% that's added to every drink and bottle that you order at your table.

let's do the maths;

2 pax in stateroom,therefore gratuity x 2,for stateroom steward and assistant.$20.00 per diem?

QG dining,2 waiters.1 wine/drinks waiter.Head waiter, more than helpful in resolving an issue,should he receive a little something?

Room service ,per tray or per person?$?

Therefore,percentages, allocations,please

Q?Any one else?

No Jealous comments needed

Obviously having a laugh. :D ......

I think bar waiters' tips are pooled. Are the sommelier's tips pooled, too?
I think that they are, but only among the wine wallahs. I don't know for certain. One reason I mentioned it here was the hope of hearing from someone who does; however, considering the diverse certainties posted about how auto and direct tips are and aren't pooled, I'm not holding my breath.

happytravelbunnies, I admire the courage of your convictions in removing Hotel and Dining Charge immediately upon boarding. Why others wait until the last possible moment to do so is beyond my understanding.

But, as MadScientics asked - how will you find those who provided great service to reward them? My understanding is that it has long been the practice on ships that cabin stewards and servers in the restaurant share their tips with behind the scenes workers, one way or another to insure that they are able to provide good service to passengers.

A steward might not find linens arriving on time; a waiter might find he can't get his orders from the galley coordinated with the rest of his orders. Unless he or she shares/compensates the behind the scenes workers, there are repercussions. This has been the way for many years.

With that knowledge, I leave the H&D Charge in place, and thank those who provide excellent service with an added gratuity because I know it costs them to deliver that service, and they do pass it on.

Regards,

S.

Right on,Salacia!

You don't have to do any calculations, you can just leave the auto-tip on and take no further action.

If you would like to tip extra (over and above the auto-tip) you should tip both the butler and the steward (more to the butler), then a tip for the waiter and depending on what/how much the head waiter in your section did you, for you can tip him too. With the restaurant staff, hierarchy is important, so tip more to the waiter than the assistant waiter, and remember that the sommelier gets less than the waiter but more than the assistant waiter.

HMMMM.. We usually tip the Sommalier about $25(per 10 day voyage)as we don't use him all that often(for drinks, that is!)

I presume by this comment, that you must be first time cruisers or having a laugh. :eek:

Anyway here is USA today's Cruise Ship Etiquette article about tipping so you do not get embarrassed whilst onboard in your QG,

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/cruise-ship-tipping-etiquette-14287.html

I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy your vacation :D

We use the "Berlitz Guide to Cruise Ships" to base our tipping.

let's do the maths;

2 pax in stateroom,therefore gratuity x 2,for stateroom steward and assistant.$20.00 per diem?

QG dining,2 waiters.1 wine/drinks waiter.Head waiter, more than helpful in resolving an issue,should he receive a little something?

Room service ,per tray or per person?$?

Therefore,percentages, allocations,please

Q?Any one else?

No Jealous comments needed

Ok, let's do the math...

the Auto Hotel and Dining charge in Grills is $13.50 per day per person ($27 for two)

Then there is the auto 15% surcharge on any bar/beverage order.

Regarding tips for Room Service, my opinion is that would depend on the size of the order and the service recieved.

What you tip your butler, steward, servers, and sommelier is discretional.

Only you know what you will spend in Bar/beverages orders, or room service orders. Until you experience the service on board, you will not know if an added gratuity is warranted. Ergo, no one but you can judge how much to budget for gratuties, but you are aware of the basic charges.

BTW, thanks - I got a good laugh over your statement "No Jealous comments needed".:D

Best wishes for your next voyage,

Salacia

Edited to add: My personal practice is to leave the H&D charge in place, and give a gratuity to stewards and servers who do their work well (which they most often do). Room Service I really appreciate, and tip accordingly - most often they are young people working their way up the ropes and deserve encouragement.

Thanks,we left the auto tip on but found it difficult to decide who and how much to tip as extras.Only saw our butler once and he was so superior I felt I should enquire if there was any thing I could do for him!

The cabin staff were both excellent and we gave them,each, $10 per day extra.

Wait staff the same rate but didn't tip the Head Waiter and thought we should but by then had run out of cash.Hope he is there on our next cruise[circumnavigation of Australia,February 2014]

I know this has been asked before but with the length of the tipping threads, rather than sort through them, I'm going to ask again. Are you given anything to give the steward/wait staff to show you are using auto tipping? On Disney we got this sheet that gave the name of the server and the auto-tip. They were perforated and we had envelopes to put them in.

8677594886_86054700aa_q.jpg

I know this has been asked before but with the length of the tipping threads, rather than sort through them, I'm going to ask again. Are you given anything to give the steward/wait staff to show you are using auto tipping? On Disney we got this sheet that gave the name of the server and the auto-tip. They were perforated and we had envelopes to put them in.

8677594886_86054700aa_q.jpg

We can't view the pic you posted, but I can answer your question. The answer is no, you're not given anything to give the staff to show them that you're keeping the auto-tip on. If you remove it however, they do know, as in they are made aware.

If there are, say, 2,500 passengers on a ship and they all auto-tip (or staff surrender individual tip if auto-tip removed as is alleged), then the ship will collect say 2,500 x $12 (say) per person = $30,000 per day. If passengers don't auto-tip and don't give individually I understand there is an agreement with the crew that the auto-tip kitty will be topped up by the company.

If there are 1,850 or so crew and you remove officers, the large pursers department, the large entertainment department, the large engineering department, the shop staff, librarians, gym staff, hairdressers, bar staff (who get the 15% drinks levy) etc you are probably left with about 700 crew who benefit from the auto-tip. If the $30,000 a day is divided between 700 crew they average over $40 a day each. Do they really need any more?!

Does anyone have more accurate figures over the guesstimates I have used?

ok, let's do the math...

The auto hotel and dining charge in grills is $13.50 per day per person ($27 for two)

then there is the auto 15% surcharge on any bar/beverage order.

Regarding tips for room service, my opinion is that would depend on the size of the order and the service recieved.

What you tip your butler, steward, servers, and sommelier is discretional.

Only you know what you will spend in bar/beverages orders, or room service orders. Until you experience the service on board, you will not know if an added gratuity is warranted. Ergo, no one but you can judge how much to budget for gratuties, but you are aware of the basic charges.

Btw, thanks - i got a good laugh over your statement "no jealous comments needed".:d

best wishes for your next voyage,

salacia

edited to add: My personal practice is to leave the h&d charge in place, and give a gratuity to stewards and servers who do their work well (which they most often do). Room service i really appreciate, and tip accordingly - most often they are young people working their way up the ropes and deserve encouragement.

lmao....

If there are, say, 2,500 passengers on a ship and they all auto-tip (or staff surrender individual tip if auto-tip removed as is alleged), then the ship will collect say 2,500 x $12 (say) per person = $30,000 per day. If passengers don't auto-tip and don't give individually I understand there is an agreement with the crew that the auto-tip kitty will be topped up by the company.

If there are 1,850 or so crew and you remove officers, the large pursers department, the large entertainment department, the large engineering department, the shop staff, librarians, gym staff, hairdressers, bar staff (who get the 15% drinks levy) etc you are probably left with about 700 crew who benefit from the auto-tip. If the $30,000 a day is divided between 700 crew they average over $40 a day each. Do they really need any more?!

Interesting math, and just slightly less than a substitute school teacher earns in my community. That is with a degree and teaching license.

"you are probably left with about 700 crew who benefit from the auto-tip. If the $30,000 a day is divided between 700 crew they average over $40 a day each. Do they really need any more?!"

And even if it was $400 a day each, they will still be discussing tipping extra.

Why? I have no idea.

HI RJChadworth. You asked two questions: "do they really need any more" and "does anyone have more accurate figures..."

I have no answer to either question. But any passenger who objects to the Hotel and Dining charge can have it removed. Furthermore, any passenger who does now wish to offer a gratuity of any sort, other than the mandatory 15% added to beverage purchases, is not required to do so.

But not to worry; there are others who will pull up the slack - but it won't be the cruise line, it will be those passengers who appreciate the work of the crew. And what happens when most passengers decide otherwise? Perhaps this might be of interest http://crew-center.com/protesting-and-consequences-cruise-ship

12 hour shifts...months away from home, living in confined quarters. Smiling while putting up with the general public. Being trained to put their lives on the line for passengers in an emergency. $40 dollars a day in tips as you suggested (and I question that amount) plus salary. Pension? Job security? Health care? Man, they got it rich.

Salacia

An interesting bit of info,whilst Australian/New Zealander's are not tipping oriented,on a number of excursions, at the end of the day,part of the farewell spiel also included the words"I'm sure the crew would welcome any loose change you might have".

An interesting bit of info,whilst Australian/New Zealander's are not tipping oriented,on a number of excursions, at the end of the day,part of the farewell spiel also included the words"I'm sure the crew would welcome any loose change you might have".

Oh that is sad.

I have been reading some of these comments with amazement. It seems that Americans in particular are almost obsessive about tipping. Is this because in your country people working in the catering business receive such poor wages and you feel duty bound to help out? There is not such a history of tipping in Europe, particularly in Britain where we mostly find it frankly embarrassing. Of course, we now have minimum wage structures in EU countries, so the necessity for tipping is lessened (I do accept that the minimum wage is still low in many places).

As a soon to be first time cruiser, my view of this topic relating to cruising is that as Cunard are applying a fixed daily service charge I will not be adding anything else unless I receive exemplary service somewhere. It's going to cost us $11 each per day, i.e. $300 dollars in tips which is an additional £200 or around 5% of the total cruise cost. Bearing in mind that British people tend to tip around 10% anyway, that seems extremely fair to me if it is only shared among a part of the crew as suggested elsewhere.

Neil

I have been reading some of these comments with amazement. It seems that Americans in particular are almost obsessive about tipping. Is this because in your country people working in the catering business receive such poor wages and you feel duty bound to help out? There is not such a history of tipping in Europe, particularly in Britain where we mostly find it frankly embarrassing. Of course, we now have minimum wage structures in EU countries, so the necessity for tipping is lessened (I do accept that the minimum wage is still low in many places).

As a soon to be first time cruiser, my view of this topic relating to cruising is that as Cunard are applying a fixed daily service charge I will not be adding anything else unless I receive exemplary service somewhere. It's going to cost us $11 each per day, i.e. $300 dollars in tips which is an additional £200 or around 5% of the total cruise cost. Bearing in mind that British people tend to tip around 10% anyway, that seems extremely fair to me if it is only shared among a part of the crew as suggested elsewhere.

Neil

Hi Neil. Just a couple of points:

The Hotel & Dining charge is $11.50 per day per person, not $11.

I think you will find that the majority of posts agree with your position: leave the H&D charge in place and tip additional where warranted. If you are embarassed by tipping, don't tip. I don't think anyone wants you to do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.

BTW, wages in the United States have nothing to do with the wages paid on Cunard. Tipping customs vary across the globe. Happily, while on board we are only dealing with that one place in time.

As to the history of tipping:

"The word "tip" started to be commonly used for a gratuity around the 1700s in England, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, although Cornell University professor Michael Lind found evidence of a craftsman asking a customer for trinkgeld or "drink money" in German, for an apprentice dating back to 1509, so the practice emerged before its current name.." copied from http://culinarytravel.about.com/od/planningculinarytravel/qt/History_of_Tipping.htm

Regards,

-S.

"12 hour shifts...months away from home, living in confined quarters. Smiling while putting up with the general public. Being trained to put their lives on the line for passengers in an emergency. "

Do you tip police officers? Firemen?

And one more if I may:

Is there a limit? I cruised before tip were included (I know it's not mandatory, but 99% of the passengers pay it) and the standard was around 4-5% tipping.

Now this amount is "included" and the discussion still goes on.

Re my post #88, I have just looked up the facts for QM-2. I used 2,500 for the numbers of passengers whereas it is 2,600 and there is a crew of 1,250 and I used 1,850. On the basis the actual crew figure includes spa and shop staff etc then the auto-tip may go to roughly 500 and not the 700 I guessed before. This means the daily tip to appropriate staff could be in excess of $60 per person per day.

I think UK people possibly feel that if American companies won't pay the going rate to waiters etc why should the rest of the World pay it when places like the UK have a minimum wage. Also, $11.50 to US passengers is £11.50 , is $11.50, whereas for Brits it can range from £6.00 to £8.00 depending on the exchange rate and at the moment it is towards the higher end.

This is not meant to upset anyone. It is difficult to make comparisons between countries because wages/salaries vary from country to country and that will colour peoples' judgements. An interesting topic though!

This is not meant to upset anyone. It is difficult to make comparisons between countries because wages/salaries vary from country to country and that will colour peoples' judgements. An interesting topic though!

I am firmly in the corner that believes only in tipping when someone does something above and beyond what they are paid to do and what they do is for my benefit or the benefit of my family.

BUT.......

To me this attitude can only apply in Great Britain where the employee has a minimum wage which is an adequate rate for the task that person performs.

My personal opinion (who am I to judge others)

Is that when aboard a foreign flagged ship I have to ignore my beliefs and accept the staff rely on so called tips or gratuities for their livelihoods.

Would I work those exceedingly long hours for nothing??

Would you?

I have read posts where folks try to pretend we do not know what the staff earn, or the money they earn is sufficient because their country of residence has a lower standard of living than what it is over here. The latter is worthy of debate as I need to hear more regarding that argument but my first thoughts are that this type of employment should be open to all and as such the staff needs to be re-numerated accordingly.

As far as I am concerned those gratuities make up a substantial and significant part of their income and it saddens me when we try to dodge paying this charge. Do we know what these folk earn? Again those that want to pretend they are well paid simply refuse to accept the evidence put before us when we had journalists working under cover for a reputable, large cruise line. Those that poo hoo that documentary will readily believe something that they agree with but when they see the pay slip of this waiter, when they hear taped\recorded conversations between the waiter and their pay office (was it the pursuers office) they refuse to accept it and try to pretend those employees are well paid and do not need us to subsidise them??

If folks want to opt out of paying gratuity charges then they should only be allowed to do this on the day they board. I fully accept that there might be individuals that opt out and actually hand over far more money than is required, that is their choice but opt out the day you board.

I will just kid myself that these gratuities are a percentage of the total cost of the cruise and I don't look at it as being a tip. If on the cruise I have staff members that perform in an exemplary manner then I will no doubt ensure that devotion is recognised.

Carnival please make the cruise 'all inclusive' and allow passengers to then tip whoever they want.

Archived