Dress shorts

diverjen

So I have two pair of dress shorts that I usually pair with heels and a cute top. They reach to about the knees. Actually a few extra inches or on someone shorter, they might almost be capris. Anyway, my question is if they would be acceptable on Princess in the MDR. Not on a formal night, but on of their smart casual nights.

According to their dress code, no. However, you could almost definitely wear them in there without being turned away. Heck, there was a girl in the dining room in cutoff hoochie jean shorts on our recent sailing. I do think that dress shorts are nicer and along the same line as a casual dress, so personally, I don't think you'd be violating any sort of formality by doing so. Go ahead!

Anyway, my question is if they would be acceptable on Princess in the MDR...

It depends on if you want to respect the suggested dress code that Princess has outlined. What some people wear to the MDR is sometimes appalling - I have seen it all but that doesn't mean it is acceptable. You say on you they are shorts; to me that is enough information to know that they do not respect the dress code.

You've asked for advice - I would not wear them to the MDR. I would wear them to the buffet and around the ship, but not to dinner in the MDR.

Have fun. :)

Guess that is why I was asking, they are much nicer than cargo pants and jeans, which according the the dress code are acceptable, heck I wear them to work. I was just asking a question, no need to yell by pitting responses in bold.

Funny, I would never think of wearing anything less than a cocktail dress into the MDR on formal night, but there have been so many posts where people have been told that a pair black pants and a dressy top are fine.

I absolutely understand what you are saying. I'm willing to bet that your dress shorts are nicer than a knit dress, cargo pants, and jeans which is why I suggested that it would be fine to wear them. The dress code was written a long time ago, and when most people think of shorts, they envision very casual shorts - the dress short for women trend is fairly recent.

I take advice on here with a grain of salt. Everyone has a different opinion as to what is appropriate. Some people think that any dress is fancy and don't understand the difference between a sundress and a cocktail dress, but shorts? Oh, no - those are too casual.

I wouldn't dream to tell you what you should wear but I would not wear the 'dress shorts' to MDR for dinner.

Guess that is why I was asking, they are much nicer than cargo pants and jeans, which according the the dress code are acceptable, heck I wear them to work. I was just asking a question, no need to yell by pitting responses in bold.

Funny, I would never think of wearing anything less than a cocktail dress into the MDR on formal night, but there have been so many posts where people have been told that a pair black pants and a dressy top are fine.

Sail only posts in bold.

For me, I don't see how a dressy pair of knee-length shorts with dressy top and cute heels is any worse than a dressy knee-length skirt, especially on a Caribbean cruise. So a dressy skirt is dressy and dressy shorts aren't dressy?

That said, I am not a maitre d' of a Princess ship MDR, so I don't know what his thinking would be on the matter. I remember the day when women couldn't wear the nicest pant suits in fine restaurants. I was turned away from the MDR of a South African resort back in the 1970s for that very thing.

I thought restaurants were more enlightened now, but that is just me. It sounds like the majority here are opposed to wearing dressy shorts to the MDR. I would think nothing of it if a well-dressed woman in dressy shorts, dressy top, nice accessories and shoes came to the MDR.

Archived