Is it walking distance?

shofer

We have booked an earlier Wilderness Tour which leaves @ 5 AM from Mt. McKinley Chalet. Staying at Princess Wilderness Lodge Denali. The reservations clerk at Denali told me it was across the street but Google Maps shows something different.

Anyone been there and can give me some guidance?

Sue

Hello Sue:

To give you an idea of the layout of the area, if you drove down from Fairbanks the McKinley Chalets is the first hotel complex on the right of the Parks Hwy. as you enter the canyon (which contains the area referred to as "Glitter Gulch"). You would pass several business and and then reach the Princess complex, which is also on the right side of the Parks Hwy. The little strip mall is on the other side of the Parks Hwy.

Both the McKinley Chalets and Princess are hotel complexes, with a main lodge building (where you check in and find guest relations) and a number of separate buildings housing the hotel rooms. Both of these complexes are bordered by the Parks Hwy. and the Nenana River. The Chalets' main lodge faces the Parks, and will be easy to find as you walk from the Princess complex. I estimate that it would take approximately ten to fifteen minutes to walk from the main Princess building (ie, guest relations) to the Chalets' main building (assuming no mobility problems).

Someone posted the other day that the Princess site previously showed the excursion was booked but then it opened up. Perhaps it would be worthwhile for you to keep checking with them.

The Tundra Wilderness Tour is still Sold Out and the Teklanika Tour is listed as Not Available for our time frame.

Thanks,

Sue

Hello Sue:

To give you an idea of the layout of the area, if you drove down from Fairbanks the McKinley Chalets is the first hotel complex on the right of the Parks Hwy. as you enter the canyon (which contains the area referred to as "Glitter Gulch"). You would pass several business and and then reach the Princess complex, which is also on the right side of the Parks Hwy. The little strip mall is on the other side of the Parks Hwy.

Both the McKinley Chalets and Princess are hotel complexes, with a main lodge building (where you check in and find guest relations) and a number of separate buildings housing the hotel rooms. Both of these complexes are bordered by the Parks Hwy. and the Nenana River. The Chalets' main lodge faces the Parks, and will be easy to find as you walk from the Princess complex. I estimate that it would take approximately ten to fifteen minutes to walk from the main Princess building (ie, guest relations) to the Chalets' main building (assuming no mobility problems).

Thank you for relieving my mind about this. I am hoping it will be daylight at that time of the morning in May.

Sue

Archived