How to book "Behind the Fun" tour?

BeautifulPlumage

We're taking my parents on the Magic in June to celebrate their 50th anniversary. My dad holds a degree in mechanical engineering from the California Maritime Academy and spent some time in the Merchant Marines. This will be his first pleasure cruise. I would love to send him on the "Behind the Fun" tour to see how an enormous cruise ship runs. I know he would be fascinated.

Does anyone know how I book that?

Thanks!

The Behind the Fun tour is really great. As previously posted, go straight to the Excursions desk upon boarding to sign up--it is limited and fills up quickly. They will send tickets to your cabin during your cruise. The tour is on the last sea day and lasts about 2.5 to 3.0 hours. Cameras nor cell phones are permitted and wear comfortable shoes for walking and climbing crew stairs. The will take you backstage at the main lounge and explain how the shows operate. You will go thru the MDR kitchen where they will explaiin how the meals are prepared and delivered. Below deck, you will visit the laundry, food freezers and refrigerators and see how they store and dispose of trash and recylced materials. You will also visit several crew areas including the crew mess and crew lounges. You will go into the Engine control room (not the actual engine rooms) and get an explanation of the propulsion, electrical, and water systems. You will also visit the bridge and have your picture made with the captain. At then end of the tour, you get a Behind the Fun cap and lanyard and complementary chocolate-covered strawberries are sent to your cabin along with the complementary pictures. The tour is well worth the money.

Here's the precise description from Carnival's FAQs...

Carnival’s “BEHIND THE FUN” Tour Unique Insight into the Line’s Shipboard Operations

For those who want an insider’s look at the inner-workings of a Carnival “Fun Ship,” we’ve created Behind the Fun, a guided tour that provides guests with a unique insight into Carnival’s shipboard operations.

Behind the Fun is offered fleetwide. On cruises 6 days or longer, a 3.5-hour tour offers participants an extensive behind-the-scenes look at a wide range of shipboard venues that are normally off limits to guests. During the tour, key shipboard personnel, including the captain, chief engineer, chef de cuisine and other department heads, share their vast knowledge in their particular area of expertise. (On 3, 4 or 5 day cruises, a shortened version of the tour may be offered, running approximately 2 hours.)

Behind the Fun begins with a stop backstage in the main show lounge where participants can see exactly what goes into creating Carnival’s award-winning revues. The tour then moves on to normally restricted areas such as the laundry room, crew galley and dining room, crew gym and crew training center.

Next it’s on to the expansive main galley where talented culinary artists prepare upwards of 12,000 meals and snacks per day for Carnival’s guests. The tour also includes a visit to the ship’s bridge and engine control room, and informative Q&A sessions with the captain and chief engineer, respectively.

In addition to a comprehensive overview of Carnival’s shipboard operations, Behind the Fun participants receive a number of commemorative gifts, including a custom-made Behind the Fun baseball cap and lanyard, a Team Carnival “Picture Perfect” book with stunning photographs of Carnival ships and destinations taken by the line’s employees, and even complimentary photos with the captain on the bridge.

Behind the Fun tours can only be booked onboard, through the ships’ Shore Excursion Desk. The cost is $95 USD per person and capacity is limited to 16 guests per tour. Guests must be 8 years old or older to participate; anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.

General Information

• Tours are conducted on the last sea day of each cruise.

• Guests are not permitted to have cameras, cell phones or video recording equipment on the tour.

• Guests must be 8 or older to participate; anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.

• The tour is approximately 3.5 hours for cruises 6 days or longer, with shorter versions possible, approximately 2 hours, for 3, 4 or 5 day cruises.

• The tour can only be purchased during your cruise through the Shore Excursion Desk, please stop by once onboard for specific date/time and exact pricing.

Is this available on all ships and what is the cost? Thank you!

I'm pretty sure it's available on all ships. It's $95 per person on the larger ships but I have heard that it's a little less on smaller ships and lasts a shorter time. It's well worth the money. As stated above, go directly to the shore excursion desk as soon as you get on the ship if you want to take the tour. They take only a small number of people. When I did the tour on the Spirit I believe there were 2 groups of 16, and once those booked up, that was "it."

The Behind the Fun tour is really great. As previously posted, go straight to the Excursions desk upon boarding to sign up--it is limited and fills up quickly. They will send tickets to your cabin during your cruise. The tour is on the last sea day and lasts about 2.5 to 3.0 hours. Cameras nor cell phones are permitted and wear comfortable shoes for walking and climbing crew stairs. The will take you backstage at the main lounge and explain how the shows operate. You will go thru the MDR kitchen where they will explaiin how the meals are prepared and delivered. Below deck, you will visit the laundry, food freezers and refrigerators and see how they store and dispose of trash and recylced materials. You will also visit several crew areas including the crew mess and crew lounges. You will go into the Engine control room (not the actual engine rooms) and get an explanation of the propulsion, electrical, and water systems. You will also visit the bridge and have your picture made with the captain. At then end of the tour, you get a Behind the Fun cap and lanyard and complementary chocolate-covered strawberries are sent to your cabin along with the complementary pictures. The tour is well worth the money.

it actually runs 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Ours ran about 4 due to all the questions I asked. Great tour

icon7.gif

Thank you SO much for all the great info. I just couldn't seem to find it myself, so I really appreciate your help.

The tour sounds awesome and I'm sure both my parents would love it. I will add it to the list of things to tend to immediately upon boarding.

Y'all are so nice!

Thank you SO much for all the great info. I just couldn't seem to find it myself, so I really appreciate your help.

The tour sounds awesome and I'm sure both my parents would love it. I will add it to the list of things to tend to immediately upon boarding.

Y'all are so nice!

Just make sure they can handle all the walking and steps. Best tour we have ever done with Carnival and well worth the money but sure tired afterward.

Just make sure they can handle all the walking and steps. Best tour we have ever done with Carnival and well worth the money but sure tired afterward.

Thanks for thinking of that. They're pretty mobile, still in their early 70's and no health problems. They expect a lot of walking on vacations because they love to explore. I'm sure they'll be able to handle it. And we'll be waiting with a DOD for them when they finish. ;)

I think your questions have been answered, just wanted to add- we loved this tour. I would highly recommend it for those who can handle the physical demands of walking & climbing steps. I especially loved the time spent on the bridge w/ our captain- very informative & fun.

DW and I did this tour on the Conquest. I had read about it here on Cruise Critic so I knew about it before we went on our cruise.

As soon as we got on board we signed up for it. Our group only had 18 so it's a good thing we signed up for it early!

Make sure you wear comfortable shoes. Lots of stairs on our tour and our guide walked extremely fast!

Archived