KaoKao Chocolate Factory

msstatemom

While in Cozumel, we thought we would enjoy touring the KaoKao Chocolate Factory. I also want to shop at Los Cinco Soles and eat at Panchos Backyard. Does anyone know how close these locations are to each other. I just wonder about taxi fares. I know Los Cinco Soles and Panchos are next to each other but have no idea about the chocolate factory. Thanks.

We went to the Chocolate Factory last Sept. I emailed the owners and reserved it for 2 but our tablemates decided to join us when we got to the port. The taxi driver had trouble finding it because it was still a new location for the tourist. The owner welcomed us and didn't mind the extra company. We purchaed lots of candy bars there. When we shopped later at Los Cinco Soles in the downtown area, the candy was there, at a higher price.

It was well worth the trip and experience. The owner told the driver what time our tour would wrap up and he was there waiting. It was a very short taxi ride back to the downtown area. The 4 of us paid maybe 12 bucks total going there and maybe 7 when we were dropped off.

Hope this helps.

We were ther in November and as stated our taxi driver had never heard of it & had some diffoculty finding it and it was 12 dollars for up to 4 people from Punta Maya Pier. The tour takes just over an hour so you will have plenty of time to do other activities if you wish.

Make sure to buy enough to last you awhile because even though its pricey.... its very good! I say this as I am eating my last little square of it :(

Steven

• 1 month later...
Per the website the milk chocolate is 30% and the dark is 50%.

Can anyone give me an approximate cost for the bars?

I can give you the exact price for the bars. Was just there last week. They have large (3.5oz) and small (1oz). The large bars are $6 and the small $3. Don't get caught up in the hype. The chocolate is ok, but not great and is way overpriced. The factory tour is more of a presentation than a tour. It's a tiny one room operation. For $10/person it's a reasonable price but having purchased a couple bars I would never buy any more. Just not that great tasting and too much money. Even the milk chocolate was not that sweet and the dark chocolate was very bitter.

P.S. Don't buy the overpriced ship excursion, book it online for the $10/person.

• 6 months later...
While in Cozumel, we thought we would enjoy touring the KaoKao Chocolate Factory. I also want to shop at Los Cinco Soles and eat at Panchos Backyard. Does anyone know how close these locations are to each other. I just wonder about taxi fares. I know Los Cinco Soles and Panchos are next to each other but have no idea about the chocolate factory. Thanks.

We did KaoKao earlier this month. After we exited the ship we just grabbed a taxi driver & told him we wanted to go to KaoKao,Forum Shops,Pancho's & Casa Mission for a tequila tasting. Our KaoKao tour was at 11 a.m. so he timed it so we could do that & also see the other spots. This was very pleasant & we kinda planned our own tour. I don't think we spent over $20 on taxi fees.

There's a cenote we want to go to in Jan. so will probably just grab a taxi & do the same. Plus will have to make a stop at KaoKao for some more chocolate. It is good ! You will enjoy the tour.

• 3 months later...
Can you go to the factory without actually taking the tour?

Is it necessary to book the tour in advance?

Thanks - !

You could just go buy chocolate items in the shop without a tour.

Check their website for tour times. We did book in advance online but if the tour wasn't booked full you could be a walk in.

Can you go to the factory without actually taking the tour?

Is it necessary to book the tour in advance?

Thanks - !

You can go to the factory to visit the small gift shop and buy chocolate at slightly reduced prices from the shops in town, which are listed on the chocolate website. You can join a tour if there is room, (only runs at certain times) but the premises are very small and numbers for each tour are limited so it depends on the time of year and how booked up they are. You could always phone in advance.

I have answered your other question on your other thread but the factory is quite a way from the main shopping area, not easily found on your own, but if you are doing a circular tour of the island with a driver,the factory is not far off the road crossing the island.

I can give you the exact price for the bars. Was just there last week. They have large (3.5oz) and small (1oz). The large bars are $6 and the small $3. Don't get caught up in the hype. The chocolate is ok, but not great and is way overpriced. The factory tour is more of a presentation than a tour. It's a tiny one room operation. For $10/person it's a reasonable price but having purchased a couple bars I would never buy any more. Just not that great tasting and too much money. Even the milk chocolate was not that sweet and the dark chocolate was very bitter.

P.S. Don't buy the overpriced ship excursion, book it online for the $10/person.

I think its a matter of taste. We loved the chocolate and can't wait to buy more on our next cruise. I won't go to the factory and just buy at Los Cinco though.

Oh and you do get a small bar of your choice with the tour.

Edited by MichelleChell

Been to Cozumel many times........may do this as something different(with no beaches or drinking involved;))........my question is,can we walk back to downtown after......really looks like a just a few blocks as I look at the map.

Thanks

Been to Cozumel many times........may do this as something different(with no beaches or drinking involved;))........my question is,can we walk back to downtown after......really looks like a just a few blocks as I look at the map.

Thanks

Our cab ride was a little over 10 minutes each way and $10. I personally wouldn't walk it.

I hope you have a chance to visit! It's a great tour, and we loved making our own chocolate. It's only $10 per person for a reservation, and they only have tours at certain times; our cab driver knew exactly where to go but did ask us if we had a reservation. So I'd definitely book ahead to guarantee your spot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Twin A

Thanks

The factory is about 2 miles, 30 minutes walking from downtown. We have walked back while staying on the island without any problems but there is nothing significant to see and I wouldn't recommend it while visiting on a cruise ship. It is beyond Avenida 65, off the transversal road. We used the time and route to check out some restaurant, bar locations and B&B.