Cancellation policy for shore excursions?

cruiseluv

Hello,

Could somebody clarify what's the cancellation policy for shore excursions? A Seabourn representative on the phone told me they're refundable if canceled up to 48 hrs before tour, but in reading the "terms and conditions" on the website prior to purchasing, it says if canceled later than 3 days before embarkation they "may be subject" to a cancellation fee.

Thanks for any clarification.

I am not sure if the cancellation policy is set in stone. When we were on the Sojourn, there was really rough seas for a day or two. A couple we got to know became very seasick and missed an excursion. There were other circumstances related to missing the excursion, but I don't remember what they were. I do know they argued with the purser for several days before they were refunded.

Our experience was completely different. I forget which stop, but we were not enthralled by the excursion we pre-booked. We had become very friendly with a few couples and we got completely smashed in the observation lounge the night before. We made an executive decision to skip the excursion before going to bed. We never said anything, and I really don't know why, but we were credited for the excursion. Maybe they were trying to make it up to us for the hot water not working for two days or the toilet only working on the first and last day of the cruise.

cruiseluv, I think that it might depend upon the shore excursion. Some of our shore excursions did have a three day cancellation deadline. You will receive a "Shore Excursion Request Form" when you board the ship. It will give you the deadlines for each port. Under General Information it states: "Tours may be cancelled for a full refund provided the tickets are returned prior to the cancellation deadlines published onboard." As well, any private arrangements that you make through Seabourn have this disclaimer, "Private arrangements are non-refundable."

• 2 weeks later...
cruiseluv, I think that it might depend upon the shore excursion. Some of our shore excursions did have a three day cancellation deadline. You will receive a "Shore Excursion Request Form" when you board the ship. It will give you the deadlines for each port. Under General Information it states: "Tours may be cancelled for a full refund provided the tickets are returned prior to the cancellation deadlines published onboard." As well, any private arrangements that you make through Seabourn have this disclaimer, "Private arrangements are non-refundable."
Interesting. We just wanted to book a Seabourn excursion on the Pride in March. In the book it says with prebooking, no cancellation. We called and they said, that is right. You book it, you own it. Only exception is World Cruise. I think I would wait until I got on also to see what policy is because last year we did it and cancelled several times and changed while on ship. I wonder if it has anything to do with the area of the world or is it a Seabourn thing that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing?

redheadednancy, that's disturbing as the Seabourn agent categorically told me 48 hrs. I dont have plans to cancel either of the two excursions we prebooked but nonetheless would be upset at being given wrong information. This should be one of those things were there shouldnt be grey areas.

Nancy, is the excursion the 3-day excursion to visit Angkor Wat? There is much red tape, etc., on the part of Cambodia and the accomodations need to be scheduled far in advance. That tour must not only be prepaid but also in non-cancellable. It is an unusual event for Seabourn requiring unusual restrictions.

Nancy, is the excursion the 3-day excursion to visit Angkor Wat? There is much red tape, etc., on the part of Cambodia and the accomodations need to be scheduled far in advance. That tour must not only be prepaid but also in non-cancellable. It is an unusual event for Seabourn requiring unusual restrictions.
No, it was ALL shipboard excursions through Indonesia, India, Egypt, Oman, etc. We had gotten our Seabourn book in mail with all the excursions. My husband went on internet to book with Seabourn and it popped up. Once you give your credit card you cannot cancel. We called guest relations and I wish I had gotten the man's name but he was emphatic that they had to have an accurate count and the right number of guides so a commitment was not refundable.

I agree this was not the way it was this same time last year on about the same length cruise from Polynesia to NZ to Sydney. We booked on ship and changed and cancelled at will. I hope someone else will call from here and verify. I may try calling again to see if I can get the same response twice. We have done Angkor Wat and I understand. Maybe because this is Egypt and India, etc. it makes a difference. That is all I can think of. It is not the place to grab a taxi and go. Also, maybe other ships in ports for guides, and it is competitive.

Anyone have a different experienc I would love to know. It has pretty much made us book independent tours with arrival times back to ship on the early side. Many people said to book Petra independently. The buses from Seabourn leave much too early and spend too much time having lunch when you could be seeing things. That is a long day trip and many have done it, and all say they have made the ship with no problem.

We have sailed many times with Seabourn and have never seen them leave anybody. I have seen the ship either track people down or the captain call and when he heard the reason..he said see you in next port. However, that was the Med, much easier. On the sisters with such a small group and many old-timers, everyone seems to be very responsible and conscious of getting back.

I also think there is quite an industry in many of these places to compete with the ships. When we were in Vietnam...Saigon, we did an independent to the Mekong Delta. It was a long day trip also but the funny thing was we stopped at same stops the Seabourn vehicles did and and even waved to them a couple of times on the road. It was half the price, much more comfortable and they spoke better English....plus we had flexibillity.

Archived