Horizon Court

Italy52

I've never been a fan of buffets, in general, and rarely enjoy this type of meal. When I dine away from home, I prefer to be served rather than serve myself.

That said, I like the set-up of Horizon Court. DH and I never eat lunch in the dining room on a ship but will sometimes have a little something to tide us over between breakfast and dinner (or before Afternoon Tea some days). DH will eat pizza or a burger, but I prefer to have cheese, a piece of fruit, yogurt, etc. I don't want to get into a long line, nor do I wish to appear to be "taking cuts" for these few items. I get a small plate, take the items I want, leave the buffet area quickly, and usually take the plate to my stateroom.

I agree with those who feel that the food service area is too small for the number of passengers who dine here, especially during breakfast and lunch - another reason why DH and I avoid it as much as possible.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

I certainly agree that trays would be helpful. I enjoy eating my salad with my entree. Maybe along with the duct tape we should pack a tray in our luggage for the buffet???? The serving area in Horizon can get a bit congested at busy times. However, I do like the different stations. We always use the dinning room for breakfast, much more relaxing.

Diane

I think the biggest issue with the Horizon Court is that people can enter from the left or right, and in the lines this can create a few organizational issues with people going in different directions. I think things would move a little smoother if everyone had to enter from one side. You could still go right to the Station of your choice but wouldn't end up running into people head on.

Actually last year on the Sapphire this is how it worked for about the first 3 days. After that there was no organization and it became a free for all.

I don't typcally eat full meals at the buffet though. Usually it's just a snack for between meals so there's never the issue of trying to handle multiple plates. On the rare days I do eat meals there I get 1 plate at a time and when that plate is gone I go back and get another. That way my hot foods don't get cold while I'm having salad or appetizers. As far as holding a plate and getting a drink, I put my plate down at a table and then walk over to the drink station. It makes things go a little faster over there than trying to juggle multiple plates and drinks.

I would hate to be caught up in the line with those entering for the first time and those (including some on this thread) who would get the impression that I am cutting in! Unlike many buffets, Horizon Court does not REQUIRE one to get a new plate each time and also there are some small plates available for deserts and other items. So IMO, the current system works best for those who observe how the system works. Maybe those who live in "cities" are accustomed to "pedestrian" traffic!/Sultan

Partial Quote:

I think the biggest issue with the Horizon Court is that people can enter from the left or right, and in the lines this can create a few organizational issues with people going in different directions.

Personally I didn't care for the setup only because most people don't watch where they are going and bump into others - potential slip hazard on the floor.

I agree it would be nice to have trays to go from station to station.

CORIAN - It is rather difficult for a person in a wheelchair to make numerous trips back and forth between the buffet and seating area - I'm sure they would get it "right" if they were able ;)

CRUISE FOR LIFE - I would imagine that every one of us will be a "blue hair" some day except those that will have 'no' hair. :D

Archived