Formal dinner - tie but no jacket?

Newcruiser35

How out of place would I be if I don't bring a jacket for formal night? and just do dress shirt tie and of course pants.

People dress up more on MSC, especially on formal night, you will be out of place without a jacket and tie. Tux not necessary, only a few will be seen. Even on non-formal nights, a jacket without tie would be recommended.

• 1 month later...

With the airlines allowing one 50 lb. checked bag per person and charging for anything more than that, we need to carefully plan what we take for our med cruise. (We are flying from another city in Europe, hence the one bag limit.)

I have read that there are three levels of dress for dinner, ranging from casual to formal, and I have also read that people don't really follow the dress code. What have others' experiences been?

I am not asking "what's the minimum we can get away with?" and we don't necessarily object to dressing up. My husband and boys all own tuxes and have worn them on previous cruises with Celebrity, but if no one wears a tux for formal night on MSC, and my guys would look overdressed in them, then I don't want to waste the suitcase space. Same goes for long gowns.

So, can someone give me some examples of what would be typical for men and women on med cruises for the three levels of dress? Not what the MSC website says, but what you have actually seen is the norm.

Many thanks.

I'm wondering if the dress code depends on the season. O our cruises in summer and fall we had two formal nights and 5 / 6 casual nights. Over New Year's though, we had three formal nights, two elegat and two casual.

A tux might be slightly overdressed but not out of place. Most men will wear a dark suit on formal nights, most with a tie. On elegant nights a long sleeve shirt and no jeans will be appropriate.

Italians are very fashion conscientious and you will see this reflected in the clothing.

I'd say around10% will wear tuxes andmaybea little higher percentage for ladies in long gowns.you won't be out of place if you dress very formally but you won't be in the majority either. It's true that some do completely ignore the dress code but not the majority by any means.

I like the opportunity to wear my long gowns and the crew always seem to respond very favourably to me making the effort with better service!

With theexvess baggage rates on some airlines, I'd leave the tuxes behind though.

"A gentleman should always wear a jacket" without one he is in his underwear. It is permissible on the tropics to wear a linen jacket - that is about as laid back as it gets!

Well said!:D

For MSC Cruise, you can keep the tuxedo at home. But it is really a good idea to have a jacket, (to rush outside/inside) and for one night a tie if you like it. If not, noone will say a word. It's up to you how you probably feel! And the baggage cost.

The Gala-Night is not the same like on Cunard Grill Class....

But in jeans and shirt, i would feel a little disrespectful.

Did Splendida last winter in the Med and the dress code was " suggested" and generally ignored by many, dressed in my tuxedo with bow tie and dress shirt felt decidedly overdressed when following Italian into the restaurant wearing a shell suit and trainers.

Did Splendida last winter in the Med and the dress code was " suggested" and generally ignored by many, dressed in my tuxedo with bow tie and dress shirt felt decidedly overdressed when following Italian into the restaurant wearing a shell suit and trainers.

That's true.

But MSC is just not typical "gala" (for ex. like Cunard, Transocean, there is no "real" Captainsdinner or -Table etc.) , often loosely italian free style, (partially embarrassing). Dresscode is truely suggested. More easily, relaxed. But you have also russian guest in Fendi and Armani.

However, you can not generalize it.

December 12, Divina: minimum 75% gala audience. 85% of women in Gala, 75% men. 50% Guests from germany, switzerland, austria.

I was amazed and surprised.

Edited by cruising-tom

I saw no enforcement of the dress code on my MSC Mediterranean cruise. I wore a black shirt without tie and black jeans to formal night and no one questioned me. Most men wore jackets so if you are the sort of person who likes to fit in then I would suggest you wear one.

• 10 months later...
I saw no enforcement of the dress code on my MSC Mediterranean cruise. I wore a black shirt without tie and black jeans to formal night and no one questioned me. Most men wore jackets so if you are the sort of person who likes to fit in then I would suggest you wear one.

Thanx for your valuable comment gek. It really solves my problem since I just cannot bring a jacket with the airlines 0 (NO) bags policy. :)

The solution if you don't want to dress up is the cafeteria.

And that's not a slam. I have days when I feel like staying in my slippers. And that could occur even on a formal night on a cruise ship.

If you're not into dress up and it's too warm, just slide up to the cafeteria and have a great time.

Thanx for your valuable comment gek. It really solves my problem since I just cannot bring a jacket with the airlines 0 (NO) bags policy. :)

I always travel in a suit jacket as I usually travel hand-baggage only. I am currently on holiday in Turkey for over three weeks and I travelled here in two jackets! Suit trousers are light so they were packed. Travelling hand-luggage only means wearing heavy clothes and using pockets to their maximum effect.

Don't understand the jacket problem, I wear a Navy Blue Blazer as my travel coat. Pockets contain my tickets, passport, glasses, etc. No fumbling though carryon's as I observe when people are "surprised" that airline and custom attendants want to see their tickets and/or passports....it's hilarious at times along with the woman with 8 necklaces and 6 bracelets asking why she has to take them off.

On formal nights, I match my handsome Blazer with Charcoal Grey lightweight slacks, nice white shirt, a tie and feel very comfortable however others dress at my table. As I pack only 5 to 6 days of underwear, socks, casual shirts, windbreaker, sweater and utilize the ships laundry, I have never been close to being overweight.

This Formal Dress Code question comes up on EVERY roll call and becomes ridiculous when some cruisers say they don't want or can't spend $100 on a J C Penny blazer when they are spending $3,000 or more on the cruise.

Oh, and if you can't afford $50 for laundry, you probably should stay home !

Forgot to mention will be sailing in the caribbean seems alittle more laid- back over here.

Approaching our fifth MSC Carib sailing. It seems Divina is a bit less dressy than Poesia out of Florida, but I think that is due to the fact that more Americans seem to have discovered MSC. Nonetheless, bring a jacket for the MDR, even without a tie. Or, as another said, there is always the buffet. btw, the aft seating in the buffet is fantastic. The floor to ceiling fantail glass is even better than in Villa Rossa MDR.