Awkward Solo Moments

adaymerced

Thank you so much! I just wasn't sure about dining room manners, and hadn't spotted any other solos on my 1st cruise alone. I'll be content as long as it's ok to read in the dining room!

Just wondering - I've booked my 2nd solo cruise on RCL Freedom (convenient port, and reaching Diamond this trip). I was put into MyTime dining again. Last time I was told that I'd have to sit alone at a table for 2 in the dining room. I chose to enjoy the Windjammer and my Kindle all week. Just wondering - if you eat alone in the dining room for dinner, do you read?

I would read in the MDR, but I am probably going to request a seat near a window and go between people watching and staring at the sea. Can't beat that :D

• 1 month later...
I have been cruising for a while now, only 2 were with someone. I prefer the solo trip. I can go where I want, when I want, and do not have to take in to consideration another person's feelings. I know this is a bit callous. If you stayed any amount of time with my family you would relish your "me" time as well. I spent a week down in Florida in a condo with my sister and her family - seven people in all. I could not wait for them to head to the theme parks for the day. I even volunteered to do their daily laundry to get them moving sooner. I would rather travel with friends then with any of my siblings. I like my siblings just cannot stand to be around them very long.

Anyway cruising with Cruise Critic I have instant friends to travel with where ever I sail.

I knew a coworker who was going on a cruise with her girlfriend. The coworker really wanted to go cave tubing but that day was her girlfriend's birthday and she didn't want to do that. The coworker didn't get to do what she wanted so badly. I couldn't stand hearing it!

When my last kid left home for college I figured I'd be in for a case of empty nesting. That lasted a day and a half. Have loved being alone since.

Hmmm....have you noticed that on the forms at doctors' offices, they ask for both your birth date and your age? There is a reason for this -- they are checking for your mental state. If you know your birth date but don't know how old you are, you may be experiencing early onset alzheimer's or other memory issues. It's a little test...

It's also so they don't have to do the math.

I would read in the MDR, but I am probably going to request a seat near a window and go between people watching and staring at the sea. Can't beat that

People watching is the best on a cruise. :)

I remember one cruise where I had some nice solos, and a mom/daughter team at my dining table. They were all great and sociable, but man, after the mom would finish eating, the sucking noises would start as she was cleaning out her dentures. :eek::eek:

• 10 months later...

I loved reading all the experiences of the solos cruisers. I wonder if some of the people here already got married, or divorced, since this post started few years ago, it's a lot of time and things happen in life.

I'll do my first solo cruise in 60 days, and this post helped a lot. Thanks everyone for sharing, and hope to hear from you guys soon.

This is a wonderful thread! I stumbled across it today and have enjoyed reading through all the posts.

I did my first solo cruise by accident. Truly, as my travelling companion, a friend from work had an injury that kept her from travelling with me. I did a week long cruise and had several moments of discomfort and loneliness. Of course, it was only my second or third cruise so I wasn't certain of myself.

The awkward moment came when I ran into a couple in the library the first day. The wife had an armful of books, and he turned to me and said something like "I guess I won't be getting lucky on this cruise, she's going to be busy reading". I laughed a little and walked away. It turned out to be even funnier, when we were seated together that evening at dinner. He obviously didn't recall who I was, but I reminded him of his comment, and we three had a good chuckle.

Since then, I've traveled alone several times. I've learned to avoid the photographers (which I generally do even if I'm travelling with others) and to attend sessions where I can meet others. I love to knit so find like minded people there, and most cruises have a solo get together. If no one shows for the first one, don't be hesitant to go to the next night...sometimes it takes a day or two. For those who want to be certain of a solo group, try NCL. The solo lounge is a good place to meet, and the solo concierge will arrange for the group to meet for dinner.

Have fun!

This is a wonderful thread! I stumbled across it today and have enjoyed reading through all the posts.

I did my first solo cruise by accident. Truly, as my travelling companion, a friend from work had an injury that kept her from travelling with me. I did a week long cruise and had several moments of discomfort and loneliness. Of course, it was only my second or third cruise so I wasn't certain of myself.

The awkward moment came when I ran into a couple in the library the first day. The wife had an armful of books, and he turned to me and said something like "I guess I won't be getting lucky on this cruise, she's going to be busy reading". I laughed a little and walked away. It turned out to be even funnier, when we were seated together that evening at dinner. He obviously didn't recall who I was, but I reminded him of his comment, and we three had a good chuckle.

Since then, I've traveled alone several times. I've learned to avoid the photographers (which I generally do even if I'm travelling with others) and to attend sessions where I can meet others. I love to knit so find like minded people there, and most cruises have a solo get together. If no one shows for the first one, don't be hesitant to go to the next night...sometimes it takes a day or two. For those who want to be certain of a solo group, try NCL. The solo lounge is a good place to meet, and the solo concierge will arrange for the group to meet for dinner.

Have fun!

NCL is definitely the most solo friendly of the Cruise Lines. Done half dozen of them and there's always a group that shows up for the meeting in the Studio Lounge and group dinners for some of the nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk