Awkward Solo Moments

adaymerced

I just got off a solo cruise on Royal where I was seated with 5 couples. I know that sounds like it would be really awkward but I had to best time! I am mid-30's and two couples were younger than me, one my age, one slightly older and one old enough to be my parents. But it was very awkward when the photographer took pics of each couple and then got to me and tried to pair me with someone next to me. For me, it was fantastic to have the same dinner companions every night. But I had lunch in the dining room room with more than one group I wouldn't want to eat with again!

Last year on Vision OTS transatlantic, I was seated at a table for 10 with 2 delightful couples (from Boston and England) and a shy solo man (German). We always had 4 empty seats.

Several nights I brought various solo friends I'd made onboard to dine with us, who were always welcomed by my tablemates.

This had varying degrees of success. If I saw my guests didn't warm to the group, I wouldn't ask them back.

At the end of the voyage, I apologized to the table for messing with the vibe and was sincerely assured, "No problem. We loved it! We'd wonder all day what interesting new person Karen would find for us! We never would have met them otherwise."

So it was all good. :)

I've read this whole thread with interest. I've sailed solo many times and haven't experienced any of these situations. I've noticed that most posters are women - I happen to be a guy.

Guess our civilization hasn't come very far when a whole class of people can be made to feel out of place, targeted, belittled, different, less than and otherwise objectified or stereotyped.

I tried bringing my daughter up so that she would instill in herself self respect and dignity, and even as she has broken glass ceilings in her business, she still relates stories to me about not being part of the Boardroom Buddy system endemic in her industry. I'm trying again with my grand daughter - but I wonder how many generations will pass before women are truly treated as equal to men?

I tried bringing my daughter up so that she would instill in herself self respect and dignity, and even as she has broken glass ceilings in her business, she still relates stories to me about not being part of the Boardroom Buddy system endemic in her industry. I'm trying again with my grand daughter - but I wonder how many generations will pass before women are truly treated as equal to men?

When you can yell "Aw, you run like a girl!" at an 8-year-old boy and he just looks at you as if he realizes you meant *some* sort of insult but can't figure out what type of insult it is. THAT is when women are truly treated as equal to men.

When you can yell "Aw, you run like a girl!" at an 8-year-old boy and he just looks at you as if he realizes you meant *some* sort of insult but can't figure out what type of insult it is. THAT is when women are truly treated as equal to men.

When I was a Cub Scout (more than 50 years ago) the Leader often said "My Daughter's Brownie Pack can run faster than you guys". Few years later as a teenager I was friends with (dated) his daughter. I found out he was right. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

Nope. If men and women are truly equal, then a boy being told that he runs like a girl should not see it as some sort of insult. Either he should ask, "What do you mean?" or he should say, "Thank you!"

Why should anyone feel insulted if he is told he does something just like someone who is his true equal does?

I have travelled solo and with friends. Both were wonderful and each had drawbacks.

I have had wonderful ship staff of each solo trip, who kept an eye on me, groom time to get to know me and if I didn't want to be alone, I could As,ways find an activity to do.

I am about to hop on the crown princess in a few days for another solo run. I am looking forward to eating when I want...seeing what I want....,sleeping when I want. I have done a good deal of solo travels in the last 2 years . I learned very quickly, smile and be kind to everyone, they will be to you too. You are only as solo as you allow yourself to be. Sometimes you have to do something daring alone to find yourself again.

I have travelled solo and with friends. Both were wonderful and each had drawbacks.

I have had wonderful ship staff of each solo trip, who kept an eye on me, groom time to get to know me and if I didn't want to be alone, I could As,ways find an activity to do.

I am about to hop on the crown princess in a few days for another solo run. I am looking forward to eating when I want...seeing what I want....,sleeping when I want. I have done a good deal of solo travels in the last 2 years . I learned very quickly, smile and be kind to everyone, they will be to you too. You are only as solo as you allow yourself to be. Sometimes you have to do something daring alone to find yourself again.

Very well said.....Been Single for many years and enjoyed most of it

Yes, I think being friendly and kind to everyone you meet goes a long way.

Whenever I see people trying to take pictures of each other I always ask if they'd like a picture together and take the shot for them. They are always gratified. Maybe it's the best pic of the cruise!

Small things matter.

Nope. If men and women are truly equal, then a boy being told that he runs like a girl should not see it as some sort of insult. Either he should ask, "What do you mean?" or he should say, "Thank you!"

Why should anyone feel insulted if he is told he does something just like someone who is his true equal does?

The tone alone would convey "insult", but the content would not. The 8 year old would not understand why being compared to a girl should be considered insulting. That is why I think it's a good example. Plus the kid is running -- why would he want to stop and talk to someone?

Glad to know that you see the basic concept is there -- that women won't be considered equal to men for as long as men insult each other by calling each other women or womanly.

I couldn't agree more! Thank you for saying that so well!

I have done about 30 cruises solo, and have never experienced an "awkward moment."

I have made many friends on ships over the years, and sometimes now we arrange to go on the same cruise again, just to play trivia together.

It's always nice to see a familiar face, to nod and say hello, and maybe even have a drink together.

I cannot think of a better way to vacation, even if I'm travelling alone.

Marc

Toronto

I have done about 30 cruises solo, and have never experienced an "awkward moment."

I have made many friends on ships over the years, and sometimes now we arrange to go on the same cruise again, just to play trivia together.

It's always nice to see a familiar face, to nod and say hello, and maybe even have a drink together.

I cannot think of a better way to vacation, even if I'm travelling alone.

Marc

Toronto

Now that you mention it, on my last solo cruise, a 13-night transatlantic on Vision OTS, you made me just realize I had ZERO awkward solo moments.

I think with age and cruising experience we grow more comfortable, know the ropes, and feel more confident doing our own thing.

My most awkward solo cruises were among the first, when I was unsure of myself and how things worked on a ship. I also used to let couples who expressed surprise that a woman would ever cruise alone (isn't it LONELY? aren't you SCARED?) get to me and even make me feel sorry for myself. :(

Now I feel sorry for THEM, having to share a cabin and negotiate all the time on what to do next, where to go, when to eat, etc. :D

Doing my first solo cruise tomorrow on Carnival Splendor, 5 day Canada.

My sister was going to come but did not get her passport renewal back in time. She didn't know I was planning this or she would have waited to renew. I switched to this from a different cruise so it was pretty much a last minute decision.

Reading through the thread has been encouraging and funny at times.! This will be my 4th time on Splendor since February so I am familiar with the ship and the things I like to do. I've been on the same deck on every cruise so I will probably have the same cabin steward again!

I'm waiting to see what table I'm assigned and will check it out before dinner the first night. I have no problem dining alone. I LOVE meeting new people and chatting but prefer meeting at pools, bars, clubs etc. rather than "eating with strangers" initially and being trapped if it doesn't go well. I had one bad experience at a large table years ago and never did it again. I'm going with an open mind!

I had a great time sailing solo.

I tried to keep an open mind with the dining but being seated at a large table, late seating, did not work out and I know I will never do that again. The company and conversation (or lack of it) was unbearable! After the second night I decided not to go back there. I met another single traveler who knew my dilemma. He was very nice and invited me to switch to Any Time Dining with him. It was perfect after that. We had a table for two. The tables however are so close that they might as well be joined but we did enjoy conversation with the others next to us. It was also my first time doing AnyTime Dining and I'm hooked on that now. I would not have had a problem being seated alone or at a different table every night or eating at different times. As a single traveler, I thought this was great.

Seas were calm and the weather was perfect and there were countless conversations with others throughout the trip. I don't think I ever met so many wonderful, friendly people on a cruise and was very surprised that so many were traveling solo due to so many different reasons.(husband won't cruise, needs a break from the kids, short cruise combined with business)etc.

It was great and so freeing to do whatever I wanted. I'll absolutely do it again.!

Sailing again on the Carnival Splendor on 10/24 (repo cruise). Just booked it last night.

I will now feel like a veteran of solo cruises! I booked the Anytime Dining and have checked out the roll call for that sailing and once again, keeping an open mind to the journey.

It's a completely different itinerary than Canada but I've been to all the Caribbean ports before so it will feel familiar!

Hoping it's as good as the first solo!!

Now that you mention it, on my last solo cruise, a 13-night transatlantic on Vision OTS, you made me just realize I had ZERO awkward solo moments.

I think with age and cruising experience we grow more comfortable, know the ropes, and feel more confident doing our own thing.

My most awkward solo cruises were among the first, when I was unsure of myself and how things worked on a ship. I also used to let couples who expressed surprise that a woman would ever cruise alone (isn't it LONELY? aren't you SCARED?) get to me and even make me feel sorry for myself. :(

Now I feel sorry for THEM, having to share a cabin and negotiate all the time on what to do next, where to go, when to eat, etc. :D

I get it completely. I now TURN DOWN offers from friends to share a cabin to reduce my cost. In my 50's, I refuse to sleep in a single bed!

I don't like eating alone, i prefer to meet people over dinner and usually there is good conversation. only once did i share a table where i could not wolf down my food fast enough. it was so bad that i skipped dessert!

my awkward moment came when i realized i needed help to do up my formal dress. it occurred to me i may need help to undo it as well. i contemplated asking my steward. i ended up doing some crazy aerobic, yoga, contortionist moves. i could have pulled something! i don't pack that dress anymore. :)

my awkward moment came when i realized i needed help to do up my formal dress. it occurred to me i may need help to undo it as well. i contemplated asking my steward. i ended up doing some crazy aerobic, yoga, contortionist moves. i could have pulled something! i don't pack that dress anymore. :)

I understand that completely - been there!!

Definitely ease of dress is crucial! If it was a zipper, a tip I learned was to use a wire coat hanger (unwound if need be) to hook in and zip it up.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be going in my third solo November 15th. I've never had an awkward moment. My first solo was a year ago, I've always met great people on the ship and CC roll calls. I am 27 and a lot of cruisers express envy instead of pity, when they find out I'm solo. I've never sat at a large dining table. Cruising solo is what you make of it, my first solo I was reserved but still met nice people, on my second cruise I partied like a rock star the first night and it seemed like the whole ship knew me the next day. Either way solo is a blast!

Sent from my PantechP8010 using Forums mobile app

HI... traveling solo on the Jewell Nov 29th and not worried a bit....usually travel with one or two others, but didn't work out this time, so its just me... I know I will meet others onboard. and do not mind dinning alone if necessary. and right now, don't have any plans for tours because have been to most of the places several times before....Nov 29...hurry up and get here...

jus' me......jim.....the velvet teddy bear.....:cool:

Cruising solo is what you make of it, my first solo I was reserved but still met nice people, on my second cruise I partied like a rock star the first night and it seemed like the whole ship knew me the next day. Either way solo is a blast!

Indeed! What's even better is that when you cruise solo, there is none of that "that guy by himself" stigma, which is common for other types of vacations. You're there for the same reason as families, couples, and groups: to have fun. And people understand that. (I wonder what specifically makes cruises different from other types of vacations in this regard.)

One useful tip I'd recommend to solos is to take a few dance classes before going on a cruise. I've done that. It can help tremendously in meeting people, considering that many nighttime activities on the ship revolve around dancing.