Suite early boarding

sailorgirl

Experienced cruiser here but a newby on Oceania. Sailing 23 Jan on Riviera. We're in a Penthouse and I notice that our documents show a 12 pm boarding time. The brochures all indicate that suites have priority boarding at 11 am and early baggage delivery as well. What is your experience with this, and need I call T/A or Oceania? Thanks for input.

Experienced cruiser here but a newby on Oceania. Sailing 23 Jan on Riviera. We're in a Penthouse and I notice that our documents show a 12 pm boarding time. The brochures all indicate that suites have priority boarding at 11 am and early baggage delivery as well. What is your experience with this, and need I call T/A or Oceania? Thanks for input.

As an experienced cruiser, you will know that it all depends on where the ship is coming from and how quickly she gets through Customs, debarks her passengers and gets cleaned up for your cruise.

Once all of that is accomplished the Suites are embarked first, but the exact timing is NEVER written in stone, because the cruise line does not control all of the elements.

121319.jpg

The pier building is air conditioned and there is seating available near the gangway.

Jim is right (as always) but I have to say that we are almost always in a PH, and the time we've been given has almost always been 11 (but sometimes 1pm). And when we get there at 11, we've had no problems. (We've also had no problems if we don't get there until 4, but that is to be expected. Of course, if we didn't have lunch we are unhappy until dinner!)

I'm not sure what your question is, though. Do you have an early morning arrival and want to board as soon as possible? As Jim says, boarding time can be affected by what time the ship was actually cleared, got rid of the departing passengers, and is ready to board the new passengers.

Our experience is that whether we arrive at 11am or sometime after noon, our room will NOT be ready. Suites are indeed ready first, but you may well have to wait. If you have things you would want to do in town on that morning (assuming you came in early), then I would suggest that's a good idea.

If you are arriving on an early morning flight, well I would just go to the ship and see. The odds are you will board early, be sent to Terrace Cafe for lunch, and they will call you when your suite is ready.

Mura

JimandStan - I appreciate your comments and, because I've been lurking on this board recently, I know that you offer expert advice on Oceania. I guess I was actually wondering if there was no point in my showing up for an 11 am embarkation since my docs indicate 12 pm even if things are running on schedule. Do your documents normally show 12 pm departing out of Miami?

Also want to thank you for the many great photos you post!

Thank you also, Mura. We're North Florida residents, spending the night in Ft. Lauderdale and then parking the car at one of the nearby garages. We have no problem waiting but I'm just excited and can't wait to get on the ship. As simple as that! We love to board early, have lunch and explore the ship, unpack and feel all settled in by departure.

Then I would say just go to the ship as soon as you can. We have never had a problem doing so ... and she is a lovely ship (although we haven't been on her yet -- we've been on Marina once and have two more booked, but no Riviera as yet).

I happen to enjoy getting on board early and going to Terrace for lunch until our room is ready. And if you finish lunch early, pile your hand luggage in the corner (as many do) and take a tour of the ship.

On our first Renaissance cruise on the R2 (now Regatta) we boarded relatively early and they gave us an option of an official tour of the ship, which took us into lots of areas we normally don't see. I particularly remember the kitchens. (This was back in October 1999.) Later on these tours were discontinued but I do wish they'd return!

Get on board early if that's what you want to do. The odds are there won't be a problem.

Mura

Are you in a PH suite or one of the upper suites?

Maybe they stagger the boarding so not all the PH suite people show up at once

In any case have a nice breakfast & a leisurely drive to the port maybe split the difference & come at 11:30pm

Enjoy

Lyn

Thank you also, Mura. We're North Florida residents, spending the night in Ft. Lauderdale and then parking the car at one of the nearby garages. We have no problem waiting but I'm just excited and can't wait to get on the ship. As simple as that! We love to board early, have lunch and explore the ship, unpack and feel all settled in by departure.

Im concerned as to why you are spending the night in FLL when the ship leaves from Port of Miami..??

Jancruz1

Im concerned as to why you are spending the night in FLL when the ship leaves from Port of Miami..??

Jancruz1

We do the same thing when we fly into FLL instead of MIA. Much prefer the Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale. We get a limo to take us to the ship and back to FLL for the flight home.

Jancruz1

Jan, I've spent the morning trying to find a hotel in Miami for the March 4th cruise. We are arriving in Miami on the 2nd and all of the nearby hotels with the exception of the Marriott are sold out. Shari gave me the info on the Marriott and we are now booked with them!!!

Jan, I've spent the morning trying to find a hotel in Miami for the March 4th cruise. We are arriving in Miami on the 2nd and all of the nearby hotels with the exception of the Marriott are sold out. Shari gave me the info on the Marriott and we are now booked with them!!!

Nice hotel, I have stayed there!!

Jancruz1

We do the same thing when we fly into FLL instead of MIA. Much prefer the Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale. We get a limo to take us to the ship and back to FLL for the flight home.

Leonoid, I completely understand but the way sailorgirl worded her post, I was concerned she thought the ship left from FLL

Jancruz1

Archived