Leaving out of Miami - Fly to MIA or FLL

Dave08

So we are leaving out of the port of Miami next December. We can fly nonstop and pretty cheap out of Raleigh on Southwest or Jet Blue to FLL. We can also fly nonstop on American to Miami.

It would be cheaper to fly to FLL but I wanted to see what the pros and cons are for each? Thanks!

So we are leaving out of the port of Miami next December. We can fly nonstop and pretty cheap out of Raleigh on Southwest or Jet Blue to FLL. We can also fly nonstop on American to Miami.

It would be cheaper to fly to FLL but I wanted to see what the pros and cons are for each? Thanks!

Taxi fares from FLL to POM is about $60 - 70. Shuttles are cheaper, run about $15 or so per person, but these are shuttles so they go all over the place to pick up pax before going to Miami. Unless you have pre-crusie activities planned (such as visiting the canals in FLL), or if there is a big difference in airfare, there aren't too many reasons to fly to FLL instead of MIA.

Remember a taxi ride from MIA to POM is gonna run you about $30 as well. FLL to POM around $70.

It really depends on how much cheaper the flight is. Remember that JetBlue and Southwest both give you free checked bags (1 for JetBlue and 2 for Southwest) so that would pretty much cover the cab ride difference coming and going so whatever the flight difference is would be profit for spending on the cruise.

I hate MIA, the only real advantages it has over FLL is the amount of international options and the food options in the terminals . . . mostly everything else favors FLL.

For POM cruises we prefer to be SMART cruisers and fly cheap and non-stop to FLL arriving the day before our ship sails (just in case there is a flight delay, weather event, mechanical issue, etc. :eek:). We usually spend the night in the FLL area and then either shuttle to POM the next morning or use a one-way car rental to get to Miami. :cool:

Good luck! :)

I live in Ft Lauderdale and have used both airports several times. I will normally pay extra to stay out of Miami and it has nothing to do with travel distance. Ft Lauderdale is cleaner, easier and just more pleasant to get in and out of. Less people to deal with and it just seems to be a better place to be.

Now if you are stuck at an airport and like to people watch, than Miami is your place----the people you see at that airport, well walmart has nothing on this place.

Good luck

If you do the one way car rental plan...are there rental companies at POM? If so, which ones?

There are no car rentals "at" POM, but Hertz in downtown Miami offers free POM shuttles, Avis in downtown Miami is very close ($10 cab ride), and National/Alamo/Thrifty offer free POM shuttles from their MIA airport location.

Good luck! :)

We too are cruising out of MIA but flying into FLL. The 4 of us got a great rate from Indy to FLL- non-stop - on AirTran. We will not arrive until early evening and did want want to rent a car, so decided to stay at a FLL hotel that has both restaurants and shopping ( for wine, pop and water) all within walking distance. We made sure to find a hotel with a free airport shuttle to help add to the savings. Not a deal breaker, but the hotel offers a free breakfast, and with my dh and 2 big boys, that is a real PLUS.

We went with QLS shuttle as they offer a 9 am pick-up from FLL hotels. We are also using them for our return trip from the port back to FLL airport. They are very easy to work with.

I suppose it would all depend what time your flight arrives and if you want to do any sight seeing, or, like us, just want a place to sleep, have dinner and perhaps take a late evening swim.

Good luck to you.

:)

We have flown into FLL for Miami cruises quite a few times. (It's always been less expensive plus Jet Blue and Southwest only fly to FLL from my area.)

We book SAS shuttle for $15 pp to get us from the airport to our hotel in Miami.

We have flown into FLL for Miami cruises quite a few times. (It's always been less expensive plus Jet Blue and Southwest only fly to FLL from my area.)

We book SAS shuttle for $15 pp to get us from the airport to our hotel in Miami.

That was exactly what we had planned to do. I would like to fly in the same day of the cruise to elimate the hotel cost, but would that be too risky?

We're flying from Indy to FLL as well, but the boat leaves out of Miami. I'm looking for a hotel that can shuttle me from FLL to the hotel - and then from the hotel to the cruise port. I'll post what I find (I believe one exists) or please post if you've already found a great pre-cruise place to stay.

Archived