St. Maarten what to do

Dukesmith95

My family is going to St. Maarten on our upcoming cruise, not booking an excursion for this stop. Anyone have any ideas as to what would be something we could do on our own, and feel secure doing so. We have never been there so don't know what to expect. Traveling with a 12 and 13 yr old.

You could take a taxi to Maho Beach and watch the huge planes fly in right over your head!! Also, there are plenty of taxi tours that could take you to Orient Beach or other beaches in the area.

I would not recommend the southern end of Orient Beach as it is clothing optional...not the things you want your kids to see probably. There are signs to warn you when you get to that section....that being said, may be some people's thing. It is a beautiful beach though....it was a lot nicer than any of the others we visited when we went for our honeymoon many moons ago.

You could take a taxi to Maho Beach and watch the huge planes fly in right over your head!! Also, there are plenty of taxi tours that could take you to Orient Beach or other beaches in the area.

That's what we did, we had a blast doing it. The beach was great and the food was to. It was pretty cool watching the planes land so close to you, some no more than 50 ft above you when they fly over. And if a big one takes off while you are there, even better trying to hold on to the fence :eek: You can check it out on YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maho Beach to watch the planes are a must not miss event...especially with 2 children. They will love it.

IMG_1642-M.jpg

IMG_1644-M.jpg

IMG_1648-M.jpg

IMG_1650-M.jpg

IMG_1664-M.jpg

IMG_1662-M.jpg

Just a few of my pictures from Maho Beach the day we were there. I hope to make it back again some day to show our daughter. She loves planes.

You said you have been watching some of the videos on youtube from Maho. If you haven't seen this video...it is the grand video of them all (IMO)...check out how close it comes to the red car on the street!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc2t2OefhbY

We didn't think it was a big place at all. They seem to drop everyone off right in front of Sunset Bar & Grill, which is right there at Maho. That is also where they call you a cab. Sunset has great food and you can eat there on the deck that is right beside the beach. They have restrooms and even a hose to wash the sand off of your feet.

http://www.sunsetsxm.com/

This seems to be the only picture I took that day facing Sunset. I was standing on the beach where the planes are going over you. You can see the steps leading up to the deck and also the people standing there using the hose to wash off the sand in this pic:

IMG_1660-L.jpg

We spent a week there for our honeymoon. Traffic does get bad. I would allow 1 1/2 hours to get back to the ship just to be on the safe side. It seemed like the main road always got backed up even though it isn't a very big island.

• 2 months later...

Archived