The Brilliant Reflection - A Review of 1-12-2013 Sailing with Photos (Very Long)

librarylady19

Well, it's definitely $8.50 at the Porch. If you are a wine lover, you won't find much under $8 a glass...even over that the selection is fairly limited by the glass, as compared to by the bottle. It was fine for our needs as we tend to drink wine only with meals. The Malbec in the Porch menu was also available at the Lawn Club Grill and went nicely with the grilled meats.

There is a spreadsheet that is published here on CC that is being used by many to determine what package that people what to purchase per cruise. And it has the lower price on the KJ pinot noir. If there are lots of differneces in prices (wine, beers, liquors, etc). People may be making bad decisions.

I do agree that if you really are into wines that that the bottles do provide a better selection.

I am currently leaning toward deciding once I am onboard and can see the lists and make sure that they have what is on the list (had that be a problem in the past, no wine available at the price or variety listed).

That would be great. Looking forward to seeing the bracelet and necklace. :)

Here you go....

This is the free bracelet:

baab6e3f7951f0f4c37c5f9a6dc1f978.jpg

And this set cost $20:

48bdaf779139fad40f3df454eb960f37.jpg

There was a choice of beads for the $20 bracelet; others were more creative than me!!

Edited by librarylady19

Here you go....

This is the free bracelet:

baab6e3f7951f0f4c37c5f9a6dc1f978.jpg

And this set cost $20:

There was a choice of beads for the $20 bracelet; others were more creative than me!!

Good job...beautiful pieces!!

Thanks so much for posting these. You never know about shipboard crafts but I would definitely wear these. Again, thanks for posting!

Here you go....

And this set cost $20:

Thank you for posting. I think the ladies we are traveling with might ask what metal (the part that goes in your ear) is used for the earrings?

Ok Sandi

You are my hero. I am guided by you. In fact we are gong to be a B2B on Summit 6145, follwing your advice.

So now for a big question.

I see Scott wore a suit with open shirt on formal night. My husband is the same build as Scott and he hates wearing a tie! He will happily wear a smart suit( grey silk) and open neck smart shirt (like the blue one in your pic) but no tie!

Reassure me Sandie, my oracle. Will this be ok? Will my marriage survive?

Will this be smart enough as formal?

Love your reviews, your pics, the way you write. Why don't you do a travel book?

xx

Ok Sandi

You are my hero. I am guided by you. In fact we are gong to be a B2B on Summit 6145, follwing your advice.

So now for a big question.

I see Scott wore a suit with open shirt on formal night. My husband is the same build as Scott and he hates wearing a tie! He will happily wear a smart suit( grey silk) and open neck smart shirt (like the blue one in your pic) but no tie!

Reassure me Sandie, my oracle. Will this be ok? Will my marriage survive?

Will this be smart enough as formal?

Love your reviews, your pics, the way you write. Why don't you do a travel book?

xx

So kind...You really made my day!! I will have to consider travel writing in my retirement (which is many years off yet).

I would tell your DH to skip the tie - its his vacation too. no sense being miserable! The requirement in MDR is jacket with slacks doesn't specify tie as well (but if I'm incorrect, someone will surely let us know).

Blu and the specialty restaurants are always smart casual, meaning jacket and tie are never required. We saw plenty of men without ties, even on formal night.

Tell your hubby to relax and enjoy his vacation!

Enjoy SS 6145 - would love to sail in that suite again some day.

Edited by librarylady19

Yes, I remember!! Will be interested to hear how you like Silhouette as we are booked for our next cruise (unless I can convince Scott to book another cruise before that....I'm working on it).

Yes, it was fun that day. Dont think I have drank that much since. We were just trying out the drink package and my wife was ordering real expensive tequila. We are getting pumped for vacation, less than 3 weeks away. We are gonna take all of our teens this summer on a carnival cruise out of Galveston, since it is not far. Should be fun as well.

I really like all of your jewelry but especially the muted tones of the wood beads. I can imagine you will get a lot of compliments when you wear them! My DH asks me every night now what else is "posted" and we both especially enjoy your thread. Looking forward to our " honeymoon" (16 months post-wedding) cruise on 2/16. Thanks for all your thoughtful and thorough descriptions!

Hi Sandi - I am just repeating what everyone else has said, the best review I have ever read. Loved all the pictures and now I know what to check out when we cruise in March. I have already picked out some awesome drinks I just have to try.:D Thanks again for such a great review.

Thanks, I know I like to look at food AND drink open too!!! Biggest problem will be trying to test out all the drinks that appeal to you. We never made it to the Martini Bar as we liked the Molecular Bar drinks so much. Yummit also find that you prefer the ambience (and the bartenders) at one bar more than others. That's why it's awesome there are so many venues to choose from.

I do wish they would open Michaels earlier as beer is more appealing as an afternoon and predinner drink.

PS - I'd be really interested in hearing how you like Azamara

Edited by librarylady19

Thanks, I know I like to look at food AND drink open too!!! Biggest problem will be trying to test out all the drinks that appeal to you. We never made it to the Martini Bar as we liked the Molecular Bar drinks so much. Yummit also find that you prefer the ambience (and the bartenders) at one bar more than others. That's why it's awesome there are so many venues to choose from.

I do wish they would open Michaels earlier as beer is more appealing as an afternoon and predinner drink.

PS - I'd be really interested in hearing how you like Azamara

I'm really excited about going on Azamara, gosh two new ships for us in the month of March. We are staying two days in Miami at the Intercontinental Hotel between cruises. :)

Hi Sandi,

First, wonderful review! Thank you! We were on Reflection before you and really enjoyed it.

Second, educate me please!:D I saw a few posts and even pictures of fabric boxes/containers you brought with you on a cruise. What do you use them for and is it worth bringing them (luggage weight issue)?

Thanks!

Thanks again everyone! I am glad this review has been enjoyed by so many of you. Inspires me to take another cruise (Scott says writing a review is not a reason to take a cruise, however;)

You could always join us on the Equinox transatlantic, you know. I counted all the drink concoctions at the Molecular Bar and there are as many of them to try as there are nights on board. Cosmic coincidence? I think not! :D

Edited by dln929

Hi Sandi,

First, wonderful review! Thank you! We were on Reflection before you and really enjoyed it.

Second, educate me please!:D I saw a few posts and even pictures of fabric boxes/containers you brought with you on a cruise. What do you use them for and is it worth bringing them (luggage weight issue)?

Thanks!

The fabric cubes fit perfectly in the overhead storage compartments. I had 3 but the space could have accommodated 4. It allowed me to better organize my folded clothes and take down what I needed easily. I had one bin for gym clothes - never went to the gym tho:); I for T shirts and another for smaller items, ie socks, undies. If you have the room/weight allowance in your luggage they are fantastic.

Edited by librarylady19

I hurried up to the Lawn Club to join Scott for the Concert on the Lawn.This was superlative entertainment - the best of the cruise!!

Blankets were placed on the lawn on front of the Lawn Club Grill and folding seats were provided to rest our back on. (You do have to sit on the ground tho) Complimentary cheese plates were also provided and wine service was available. Matt and Riley gave a wonderful performance under the stars. What a treat ...relaxing, sipping wine and enjoying their music. Wish this had been offered more than once its definitely a not to be missed event!!!

These photos aren't that great, but hopefully you can get the idea.

3ad7943e9b28e03f234162b2c8c9cad6.jpg

183c630f09c94b9d368b8bba190f3b37.jpg

a99cb8ea7b57146d370e7522d61c68e0.jpg

The pictures are gone and the lawn club is the main thing I wanted to see. Did you move them somewhere out of photobucket? Could you post them again later in your review?

Thanks,

Sorry about that. I am not that happy with Photobucket. Trying to reorganize photos results in a lost link.

Here are the photos in question - I will try to restore the other missing photos later....

ad9b5f84be6f4a947078592ad4d67983.jpg

79dce24eabe74ed3401831200ac0f235.jpg

3ad7943e9b28e03f234162b2c8c9cad6.jpg

a99cb8ea7b57146d370e7522d61c68e0.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

I appreciated your time in putting those out there for me.

We were to go on this cruise as part of a larger group but could not quite get it together so we missed it.

I was very interested in the Lawn Club and the fact there is grass on the ship. Looks like the grass is a high maintenance item and not used often which is a waste of deck space as far as I am concerned. The cabanas do cut off the view. Why go to sea if you can't see the sea?

I did enjoy your review and thanks for the time you spent putting it together.

The fabric cubes fit perfectly in the overhead storage compartments. I had 3 but the space could have accommodated 4. It allowed me to better organize my folded clothes and take down what I needed easily. I had one bin for gym clothes - never went to the gym tho:); I for T shirts and another for smaller items, ie socks, undies. If you have the room/weight allowance in your luggage they are fantastic.

Thanks, Sandi! Now we need to solve weight allowance problem! :D:D:D

Hi Sandi,

Thanks!

I wanted to let everyone know that I just found the 10 x 10 cubes at Target in the special "Dollar Aisle". They are Knock Offs of the Closet Maid Cubes and guess what..............THEY ARE ONLY THREE WHOLE U.S. DOLLARS A PIECE. They come in Grey, Natural, Lime, Purple and Hot Pink. Perfect for the cruise and weigh practically nothing!

WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA!

The Original Closet Maid Cubes are around $9.00 a piece but.....there is a great 7" x 7" pair for 7 bucks that will fit into the cubby holes on the nightstands by the bed.

The collapsible hanging shoe rack is $13.95 and has two hangers (not Velcro) to clip to the closet rod. Also does not weigh more than a pound.

Thank you so much for your review..............LOVE IT!

Edited by cruiseguys2009