Wonderful Copenhagen

Danish Viking, I too appreciate your detailed info!!! I'll be in CPH for a few days pre-cruise and also plan to take a day trip into Malmo. you say the ticket costs 88 DKK. (I assume that's each way, yes?) if I bought a transportation pass would that be covered?

If you could do one day trip from CPH would you choose Malmo? I am not sure seeing the "Hamlet" castle is interesting enough to invest that kind of time. What do you think? Is there a different location you would suggest for a day? It would be nice to see a different part of Denmark than just it's big city.

There is so much to plan! Thank you so much again.

Danish Viking, I understand May 16th is Prayer Day and a legal holiday in Denmark. Will the shops, banks, etc. be closed that day? Would that be a good day to take the train to Malmo or Lund? We've been to Copenhagen on several occasions.

We're on Legend of the Seas departing on May 17th. Do we know for sure where she'll dock?

TIA as always.

Danish Viking, I too appreciate your detailed info!!! I'll be in CPH for a few days pre-cruise and also plan to take a day trip into Malmo. you say the ticket costs 88 DKK. (I assume that's each way, yes?) if I bought a transportation pass would that be covered?

If you could do one day trip from CPH would you choose Malmo? I am not sure seeing the "Hamlet" castle is interesting enough to invest that kind of time. What do you think? Is there a different location you would suggest for a day? It would be nice to see a different part of Denmark than just it's big city.

I don't think a Copenhagen (?) travel pass is valid on the Öresund trains.

I have only been to Malmö once and found it to be nothing special.

Somewhere on this board I made a post about things to do in Malmö but the search function is disabled so I can't find it at the moment.

So I would suggest that you either go north to Helsingör (Elsinore) or continue east from Malmö to Ystad.

Train to Ystad is about $25-26USD (165SEK) ans 1 change is needed in Malmö.

Ystad is small town perhaps for foreigners mostly known as the town in which the television series Wallander is taking place in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ystad

East of Ystad there is a small and lovely fishing village called Kåseberga

famous for the historic remain called Ale Stenar.

However the public transport to Kåseberga is very limited and you probably would need to rent a car or going by taxi to get there..

From CPH the first possible departure is 10.30 and you will have to change trains in Malmö and change from train to bus in Ystad and you will arrive

about 2 hours later. Then there isn't any return trip until 17.30.

Those buses also needs to be ordered by phone* before going.

*Basically you have to call the bus company and tell them that you want to go to Kåseberga.

http://www.tripadvisor.se/Tourism-g667279-Ystad_Skane_County-Vacations.html

http://www.loderupturism.se/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=70

http://www.ystad.se/ystadweb.nsf/AllDocuments/D8C2D6D5F36BD117C125786B00364E3B

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Hovedbaneg%C3%A5rden,+K%C3%B6penhamn,+Danmark&daddr=Ales+v%C3%A4g&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&sll=55.52872,13.302176&sspn=0.715868,2.113495&geocode=FcKDUQMdDa6_ACnnE6DyDFNSRjE0koX45LcduA%3BFYcVTQMdIZTWAA&oq=K%C3%A5seberga&t=h&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=14%2F03%2F17&time=8:00am&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=prev&z=10&start=0

I have never been to Helsingör and I don't know much about it so I think Danish Viking will have to inform you more about it.

However I do know that there's more to see/do in Helsingör then just Kronoborg Castle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helsing%C3%B8r

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Hovedbaneg%C3%A5rden,+K%C3%B6penhamn,+Danmark&daddr=Helsing%C3%B6r,+Danmark&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=55.87454,12.686462&spn=0.70956,2.113495&sll=55.52872,13.302176&sspn=0.715868,2.113495&geocode=FcKDUQMdDa6_ACnnE6DyDFNSRjE0koX45LcduA%3BFUP2VgMd_yPAACmzC0AvETFSRjFn9xdYPG7j8w&oq=Helsin&t=h&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=14%2F03%2F17&time=8:00am&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ls&z=10&start=0

Edited by Desdichado62

Hi Danish Viking,

We will be arriving on Legend at the new Cruise Terminal C330 on 2 May (after 2 weeks at sea) and need to do laundry. I know that bus #26 stops nearby twice per hour.

Is there a laundry nearby that we could get to and back on the bus #26? If so, please help us with directions for both ways. If not, what is the location of the laundry and best way to get there?

Thank you,

Bill

Yes its 88 DKK oneway, is it only you because as I told the previous poster it will be cheaper to buy a Familie Øresund Billet because it includes 2 adults (and 3 childrens.)

The only transport pass that covers Malmö is the Øresund Rund ticket that is valid for 2 days but the only constrain is that you have to use the bridge the one way and the ferry from Helsingør to Helsingborg the other way or reverse.

One ticket costs 199 DKK.

I think Malmö is a lovely city, more cozy than Copenhagen or else the next stop on the line Lund should be something to but I have never been there unless a change of trains at the station counts.

Ystad is also a lovely Place and there are actually 5 direct trains to Lund very day in connection with the ferry to the Danish island of Bornholm.

But a ticket to Lund and Ystad would cost even more.

If you wan´t to stay in the Copenhagen area then a visit to Roskilde with the viking ship museum or the fishing village of Dragør could be something to do.

Edited by Danish viking

Danish Viking, I understand May 16th is Prayer Day and a legal holiday in Denmark. Will the shops, banks, etc. be closed that day? Would that be a good day to take the train to Malmo or Lund? We've been to Copenhagen on several occasions.

We're on Legend of the Seas departing on May 17th. Do we know for sure where she'll dock?

TIA as always.

Mosts shops and banks will be closed nut tourist sites and museums will be open.

Store Bededag is not a holiday in Sweden so maybe its an good excuse to take to Malmö that day.

And yes we know where the Legend will dock :D

Its C330 Oceankaj, its the new cruise terminal.

Hi Danish Viking,

We will be arriving on Legend at the new Cruise Terminal C330 on 2 May (after 2 weeks at sea) and need to do laundry. I know that bus #26 stops nearby twice per hour.

Is there a laundry nearby that we could get to and back on the bus #26? If so, please help us with directions for both ways. If not, what is the location of the laundry and best way to get there?

Thank you,

Bill

Møntvask

Livjægergade 28

2100 København Ø

Møntvask

Nordre Frihavnsgade 71

2100 København

35 42 31 90

I think the best way is to take a taxi because on both laundries the travel planner wants you to to take the bus and then walk 15 minutes from the nearest bus stop.

Or else you have to take bus 26 to Vesterbro Torv, here the laundry at Gasværksvej 2 is only 2 minutes away from Vesterbro Torv but its a 35 minute bus trip.

I found this one just before I was going to post this.

Quick Vask

Løgstørgade 9

2100 København Ø

You just take the bus to Kalkbrænderihavnsgade and walk from there, its only 650 metres and its a safe neighbourhood to walk in, Østerbro is were the posh people in Copenhagens lives.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=l%C3%B8gst%C3%B8rvej+9+k%C3%B8benhavn+%C3%B8&daddr=Kalkbr%C3%A6nderihavnsgade+%4055.709286,12.590886&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.70921,12.590697&sspn=0.000919,0.002411&geocode=FfoDUgMdQ_2_ACkfD1fJ8VJSRjGmvH8VCBWE6g%3BFWYOUgMdJh_AAA&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=17

I found this one just before I was going to post this.

Quick Vask

Løgstørgade 9

2100 København Ø

You just take the bus to Kalkbrænderihavnsgade and walk from there, its only 650 metres and its a safe neighbourhood to walk in, Østerbro is were the posh people in Copenhagens lives.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=l%C3%B8gst%C3%B8rvej+9+k%C3%B8benhavn+%C3%B8&daddr=Kalkbr%C3%A6nderihavnsgade+%4055.709286,12.590886&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.70921,12.590697&sspn=0.000919,0.002411&geocode=FfoDUgMdQ_2_ACkfD1fJ8VJSRjGmvH8VCBWE6g%3BFWYOUgMdJh_AAA&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=17

Thank you very much.

The Quick Vask looks like a great location. It is about 3.4 km from Oceanvej. How much do you think a taxi would cost? Do you know what hours it is open and if there is an ATM nearby to get cash?

I assume we could walk back to Kalkbrænderihavnsgade and take the bus #26 back to Oceanvej if we can't find a taxi back to the ship.

Bill

Thank you very much.

The Quick Vask looks like a great location. It is about 3.4 km from Oceanvej. How much do you think a taxi would cost? Do you know what hours it is open and if there is an ATM nearby to get cash?

I assume we could walk back to Kalkbrænderihavnsgade and take the bus #26 back to Oceanvej if we can't find a taxi back to the ship.

Bill

The opening times are 06:00 - 22:00 all days

The nearest bank is

Danske Bank

Nordhavn Afdeling

Strandboulevarden 59

2100 København Ø

But ask the driver to pick you up later on or get the telephone number.

I'm sure hotel recommendations is in this thread somewhere, but I don't readily see it. We will be flying to Copenhagen in May for a Baltic cruise. This will be our second trip and we have seen a lot of the touristy places. I would like recommendations for a hotel close to where we could do a canal ride (because that was fun!) and have a nice relaxing dinner and a short taxi ride to the dock. Any recommendations of a hotel and place for dinner would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

The list of Hotels around Nyhavn in decending order (ranked by tripadvisor´s users)

5. Hotel D´Angleterre

8. Sømandshjemmet Bethel

15. Admiral Hotel

26. Copenhagen Strand

27. Clarion Collection Hotel Neptun

42. Hotel Maritime

44. Scandic Front

47. 71 Nyhavn Hotel

48. Hotel Opera

Edited by Danish viking

My mother and I are staying at hotel Bethel (ranked #8 proper name is Somandshjemmet Bethel). There are two couples from our cruise staying at the hotel as well. We have booked the corner room on the second floor as it has a balcony and loads of windows. The hotel is right on the canal, the hop on hop off stop is around the corner and the boat cruise pick up point is a block away. It is not a plush hotel but the price also reflects that. The airport is 7 stops away and the metro stop is about 5 blocks away. This hotel is all about location.

as I posted on another thread, I am staying at Hotel Opera pre-cruise. $270 per night is more than I wanted to pay but the location is so good and it's super close to a metro station. post-cruise I am staying at Hotel Nebo. much lower-end and much cheaper! but next to Central Station and has decent ratings on TripAdvisor.

Thanks for the recommendations on hotel. It seems Somandshjemmet Bethel does not take online bookings(!) so I emailed to see if I get a response. I don't really want to have to call to book. If that doesn't work out, I'll book something else on Danish viking's list near the canal. Also, Danish viking, if you could recommend a good restaurant in that area for dinner, I would appreciate it!! Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for the recommendations on hotel. It seems Somandshjemmet Bethel does not take online bookings(!) so I emailed to see if I get a response. I don't really want to have to call to book. If that doesn't work out, I'll book something else on Danish viking's list near the canal. Also, Danish viking, if you could recommend a good restaurant in that area for dinner, I would appreciate it!! Thanks for all your help.

I sent them an email and they responded to me the next day. Very friendly helpful people and I booked in November for this coming August.

Wow, I am impressed, I received email back from Somandshjemmet Bethel within an hour, had some questions and they've responded back to those so we are booked there pre-cruise for May and got a corner room so should have awesome views of the canal! Now I just need name of a good restaurant in this location to have dinner - thanks!!

We are docked at Freeport pier and want to take the HOHO for the day. When I look on-line at their map, I can see they have stops for the Langelinie pier but can't see anything for Freeport. Anyone know if there is a stop?

http://en.thestandardcph.dk/

Or else one the many restaurants along the canal at Nyhavn.

Danish Viking, our favorite restaurant in Copenhagen has been The Black Raven; however, it has been five to six years since we have been there. We willl be back in Copenhagen in July and thought we would dine there. Do you know if it still gets great reviews since the daughter took it over? Many thanks, we have been to Copenhagen many times and have eaten at numerous restaurants, almost all good. Husband no longer works with Novo, so haven' t been back in a while.

Danish Viking,

So glad to have found you. We will be a party of 8, 5 adults and 3 pre teens. We are scheduled to land at 7 AM on July 14 and would like a touring transfer ( about 4 hours) with a drop off at the ship. Ideally we would like a pick up on July 28 directly to the airport. Any suggestions who to contact? Thanks for your help.

Caryll

Danish Viking, thank you for responding. We are sad that our favorite restaurant is no longer there, but we have friends at Hyttefadet and will enjoy spending more time there eating and drinking and taking in Nyhavn sights. We are so looking forward to returning to Copenhagen!