Let's talk about the pillows on NCL ships

herdingdogmom

Each balcony stateroom I have been in has had just terrible worn out pillows. I've asked for replacements and received pillows in the same condition as the ones I already had. The one time I was in a suite, the pillows were nice so I know there are decent pillows on board.

We sail Sunday in a mini suite on the Star and I am dreading the bad pillows. Has anyone had any luck getting new pillows when not in a suite? What about buying some and taking them on board at embarkation? Would the pillows be allowed on?

When I was on the Spirit TA last April, the pillows in my balcony cabin were horrible! They were flat as pancakes. I asked my room steward for better pillows and just got more flat pillows. I believe I had 8 flat pillows on my bed.

After I brought up the issue at the meet and greet with the Hotel Director, I did receive 2 brand new pillows. Those 2 new pillows equated to about 6 of the flat pillows.

I have to agree with you about the suite pillows. One of my fellow cruisers was in a suite and he had the most wonderful pillows. In fact, it was a great pickup line for him :). Instead of showing me his "etchings", he offered to show me his pillows. We are booked on the Star TA this April in a suite and I can't wait to make selections from the pillow menu.

Have a great cruise!

Lori

I was contemplating bring my own pillow. I am very fussy on my pillows. I just herniated a disc in my neck and a good pillow is very important now. I just bought a very expensive one today.

We are booked in a Suite on the Sun and I think we have a "pillow menu" Does anyone have any experience with those? Are the pillows offered of descent quality? Is there a way to see an example of what the pillow menue looks like for the Sun Penthouse suites?

We are sailing on the Gem this coming Sunday so I called to make some arrangements with concierge services.

I wanted to upgrade our liquor selection and add some wine so I am now awaiting a menu. During the same conversation she mentioned a "pillow menu"

Apparently I need to choose pillows which sounds fun but very odd.

Has anyone else heard of this?

My feling is that if the liquor does its job we won't care about pillows :)

On our recent Jewel cruise (Dec 9-16), I had an awful kink in my neck after the first 2 nights so I asked my room steward if they had a fluffier pillow...she brought me one and asked a couple of times in the following days if the pillow was still ok....:) My sore neck improved and I slept much better. It never hurts to ask....

One of my fellow cruisers was in a suite and he had the most wonderful pillows. In fact, it was a great pickup line for him :). Instead of showing me his "etchings", he offered to show me his pillows. We are booked on the Star TA this April in a suite and I can't wait to make selections from the pillow menu.

Lori

Now when you say "We are booked..." does that mean his pickup line worked.....?!.

:p

Great story!

-Pam

We are sailing on the Gem this coming Sunday so I called to make some arrangements with concierge services.

I wanted to upgrade our liquor selection and add some wine so I am now awaiting a menu. During the same conversation she mentioned a "pillow menu"

Apparently I need to choose pillows which sounds fun but very odd.

Has anyone else heard of this?

My feling is that if the liquor does its job we won't care about pillows :)

Yes, you can pick from the "Pillow Menu" if you are in a suite. I have never done it, but we always have the option.

And to the OP: I have never had flat pillows on NCL.. However I often find I get pillows that are too high and hurt my neck..

Every time we travel - I bring a mini version of my pillow that

"cradles your neck" - it rolls up in it's own case and packs easily.

I have about 4 different things wrong with my 50 yr old neck -- so this is the type I HAVE to have :)

Problem is must remember to put BRIGHT pillowcase on it - or I leave it in another country or on a ship - don't want it to blend into their bedding as we scan the room to leave :eek:

Ok either i need to upgrade to a suite or pack my pillows! Hubby is fussy about pillows and really hates the tiny hotel pillows that hotels have switched too. They look like kid sized pillows. I use a body pillow (but i could make do with 2 good full sized bed pillows) and i was trying to decided if i wanted to pack an entire bag just for these pillows or not. I guess i will be :rolleyes:

Each balcony stateroom I have been in has had just terrible worn out pillows. I've asked for replacements and received pillows in the same condition as the ones I already had. The one time I was in a suite, the pillows were nice so I know there are decent pillows on board.

We sail Sunday in a mini suite on the Star and I am dreading the bad pillows. Has anyone had any luck getting new pillows when not in a suite? What about buying some and taking them on board at embarkation? Would the pillows be allowed on?

Im not bothered by them. Ive always had terrible pillows as I cant find a good one to save my life, so the ships pillows are just like home! :p

KCD

I bring a mini version of my pillow that

"cradles your neck" - it rolls up in it's own case and packs easily

can you tell us the name of this pillow and where you got it? Sounds like something I could use.

I have been in suites and never have seen a pillow menu. The pillows that have been there have been nice. The pillows that were in the suite this past November were so amazing that I wrote down all the information I could find on the tags and figured out where to get them for myself! They were THAT good.

I have found the pillows to be very soft to the touch but when you lay down on them you sink right in and almost suffocate yourself. Luckily after a shore excursion, a bucket of beer, a couple of the drink of the days, the hot sun, and the rocking motion of the ship I don't notice it and get the best sleep of the year. :)

KCD

I bring a mini version of my pillow that

"cradles your neck" - it rolls up in it's own case and packs easily

can you tell us the name of this pillow and where you got it? Sounds like something I could use.

I just googled travel sized memory foam pillow and there it was - it rolls up nice in a velour case--3rd trip I used it and well worth $30 bucks :)

http://www.stlmedical.com/store/bed-wedges-cushions-pillows/DU55479234321.html?gclid=CIHbl4acgLUCFQmmPAodSTkArQ

I was contemplating bring my own pillow. I am very fussy on my pillows. I just herniated a disc in my neck and a good pillow is very important now. I just bought a very expensive one today.

We are booked in a Suite on the Sun and I think we have a "pillow menu" Does anyone have any experience with those? Are the pillows offered of descent quality? Is there a way to see an example of what the pillow menue looks like for the Sun Penthouse suites?

My next time I cruise with NCL will be my first time in a suite. I was told that the menu is of high quality. Therefore, I don't think you will have a problem. As for me, I love feather pillows (cannot stand foam of any kind). I am sure that feather pillows will be on the menu.:D

Archived