Packaged Snacks

Snowescapee

Am I safe to assume its ok to bring some packaged snacks on board? Sailing on Silhoutte Feb 17 and am gluten free along with other allergens. Always worry about eating in port...and on NCL and RCCL I've always just brought packaged snacks to take with. (we're talking cookies here folks...nothing major).

Ya, I know meat and fruit ans such are likely to land you in hot water...never understood why people didn't get that (love those big bins when you get to customs in Australia and people who don't understand the signs saying "throw your stuff here!!!!")

Thanx for reassuring me though. NCL sends out a great package when you contact them about this stuff, Celeb insists all communication came from my TA.

We have even brought none packaged candy and nuts, in zip lock baggies. They don't seem to have any problem with snack foods.

I hope you ask if anyone is allergic to nuts before you open them on a bus or a boat. Some others may not react well.

As for baggies, factory sealed does not mean baggies from home.

It would never occur to me to ask everyone on a boat or bus if they had nut allergies before I proceeded to eat my own nuts. Seriously, you do this or have you seen anyone do this?

And I will say again, we have brought snacks of various types on cruises with us that are not in their original packages, but packaged ourselves in zip lock bags and we have never had an issue.

It would never occur to me to ask everyone on a boat or bus if they had nut allergies before I proceeded to eat my own nuts. Seriously, you do this or have you seen anyone do this?

And I will say again, we have brought snacks of various types on cruises with us that are not in their original packages, but packaged ourselves in zip lock bags and we have never had an issue.

FYI it is ILLEGAL to bring nuts into many countries without declaring them to local authorities.

FYI it is ILLEGAL to bring nuts into many countries without declaring them to local authorities.

I would like to know what countries don't allow nuts to be brought in for personal consumption. I would NEVER knowingly bring any food or snack into a country illegally and we never bring cruise food with us in ports. So I am not sure why you felt a need to even say this to me.

The OP was talking about bringing snack foods because of dietary restrictions with him on a cruise, not sure how the thread took this swing into international laws against bringing in nuts???

I just checked the US requirements at https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use You will see that there aren't many things you can't bring in for personal usage.

This is the section on nuts: -Nuts- All nuts are allowed if they have been boiled, cooked, ground, oven dried, pureed, roasted, or steamed. Other nuts may be allowed if they are free from their husks (the shell remains), such as almonds, betel nuts, Brazil nuts, cashews, coquilla nuts, filberts (hazelnuts), Java olives, kara nuts, gingko nuts, macadamias, pecans, pili nuts, pine nuts (pinon nuts), pistachios, and walnuts. (USDA Miscellaneous and Processed Products Manual, Table 3-105, 3-106)

To the OP, bring your snacks, it's OK.

So, are some people allergic to other people eating nuts? I think that sounds kind of nuts.

I carry trail mix in zip lock bags and no one has ever seemed to mind. I don't force anyone else to eat it.

Tom

I hope you ask if anyone is allergic to nuts before you open them on a bus or a boat. Some others may not react well.

As for baggies, factory sealed does not mean baggies from home.

The concern is contact between the person who has eaten them (person 1) and the one who has the allergy (person 2).

Lets say that person 1 ate some peanuts on the bus with bare hands. He/she then, on exiting the bus, placed those bare hands on the back of the seats. Person 2, upon leaving the bus, please his/her hands on same seat, and thus has an allergic reaction.

On my last plane trip, there was a person who had a peanut allergy. The flight attendants made sure everbody was aware and didn't serve anything with peanuts in the many seats around this person. This person did offer everybody bags of almonds instead :)

WoW - how quickly an innocent thread can turn. I am utterly shocked! :eek::eek:

To the OP - the easiest answer for you was Yes, take your pre-packaged cookies along.

I do not think that text is the best conveyor of a message, often it can be misinterpreted.

When I said bringing nuts may be an issue, I was referring to customs 9some countries) not allergies. But yeah, sometimes people's posts may be taken differently to what was meant.:D

Thanx for all the great info. Interestingly nuts wouldn't be something that we'd take as that's one allergy that affects one of us traveling and I am pretty careful about exposing other people to allergens anyways. As for food laws, Everytime I cross the Canada/US border we get hammered with questions about whether we have food (nuts, fruit, meat) in the car...it's a pretty serious issue.

Thanx for all the great info. Interestingly nuts wouldn't be something that we'd take as that's one allergy that affects one of us traveling and I am pretty careful about exposing other people to allergens anyways. As for food laws, Everytime I cross the Canada/US border we get hammered with questions about whether we have food (nuts, fruit, meat) in the car...it's a pretty serious issue.

And cheese! We had a car turned inside out when we took some cheese from BC to Washington State.

When we drove through from Vancouver to Seattle going over the Canadian border they asked if I had any apples. I said, no I only use PCs. The guard LOL'd and said, "Thanks I needed that..." Of course, I then had to say that I really didn't have any apples. Not sure why the hate apples so much. Maybe it has something to do with the apple a day keeping the doctor away and the Canadian healthcare system :rolleyes:

Tom

And cheese! We had a car turned inside out when we took some cheese from BC to Washington State.

I do not think that text is the best conveyor of a message, often it can be misinterpreted.

When I said bringing nuts may be an issue, I was referring to customs 9some countries) not allergies. But yeah, sometimes people's posts may be taken differently to what was meant.:D

Sweetheart, I knew exactly what you meant and I never took any offense to it. I do not believe you were in anyway the cause of the twist. :)

Archived