iIs Rail Europe the website to use to buy a Paris to London ticket?

stipmom

Is there really a compelling reason (convenience is not compelling) to buy tickets for UK/European trains in the US?

Our experience is that doing so is unnecessarily expensive (RailEurope) compared to doing so in Europe (or the UK).

Americans are used to making reservations in order to have a seat on the precious few forms of public transit that exists in the US. Our experience in Europe is that there is ample capacity on trains....if they fill up, a car or two may be added to accomodate the demand.

Hence, our approach is to wait to buy train tickets until we are in Europe (and UK).

It depends on the train :)

This thread was about Eurostar, which operates a pricing policy similar to airlines - you need to book as soon as possible to get the cheapest prices. Tickets are sold at various price points and once the number in one band has gone, that's it. Reservations are compulsory for Eurostar.

On many routes in the UK (but not all) 'Advance fare' tickets are available to book and very often offer significant price savings over the walk-up fare, but will be inflexible and require reservations and travel on particular trains. Again, generally the further ahead you book the greater availability of cheaper tickets.

Rail ticket pricing in the UK is an opaque art - I was looking at a journey the other day from Newcastle to London and fares were varying from around £28 to about £175.... But if there are no advance fares available for your journey, yes you'll get the same (Anytime or Off-Peak) fare on the day as in advance. However, on busy services you may not get a seat for some or all of the journey without a reservation.

Is there really a compelling reason (convenience is not compelling) to buy tickets for UK/European trains in the US?

Our experience is that doing so is unnecessarily expensive (RailEurope) compared to doing so in Europe (or the UK).

Americans are used to making reservations in order to have a seat on the precious few forms of public transit that exists in the US. Our experience in Europe is that there is ample capacity on trains....if they fill up, a car or two may be added to accomodate the demand.

Hence, our approach is to wait to buy train tickets until we are in Europe (and UK).

If you wait, the cheapest fares may all be gobbled up. If you're pretty sure of your plans, you will want to book in advance, at least in my humble opinion. And thanks to the internet and modern technology, you can book online as if you were physically present in Europe!

I booked our tickets and am happy with the $130 RT for 2 from Paris to London with assigned seats with a view from the window. It was easy to do and one more thing I can check off my pre-cruise land trip list. :)

Great deal. Have a fabulous trip!

If you wait, the cheapest fares may all be gobbled up. If you're pretty sure of your plans, you will want to book in advance, at least in my humble opinion. And thanks to the internet and modern technology, you can book online as if you were physically present in Europe!

We booked paris to London this AM and there were only 10 seats left on a couple trains. Only cheap are the first in the AM and the last train at night!

We are cruising the British Isles in August and coming to London early to do some sightseeing. I'm thinking about taking one day and going to Paris early morning returning on the last train. Since Eurostar only offers tickets 3 months out, can anyone tell me what I should expect to pay for tickets from London to Paris round trip (or two one-way). What time would the first train be and the last train return?

We are cruising the British Isles in August and coming to London early to do some sightseeing. I'm thinking about taking one day and going to Paris early morning returning on the last train. Since Eurostar only offers tickets 3 months out, can anyone tell me what I should expect to pay for tickets from London to Paris round trip (or two one-way). What time would the first train be and the last train return?

Check Eurostar. ..$65 one way about 7 in the AM and after 10 at night.

Thanks!

Any opinion on whether it would be better to go to Paris on Saturday or Sunday?

To do what? :)

Although the old cliche that France is closed on Sundays is not so true anymore in Paris, many businesses, shops and restaurants will be closed - not as much (certainly for shops) in the tourist areas, but something to be aware of. That said, Sunday is some people's favourite day for that reason - Paris feels different.

To do what? :)

Although the old cliche that France is closed on Sundays is not so true anymore in Paris, many businesses, shops and restaurants will be closed - not as much (certainly for shops) in the tourist areas, but something to be aware of. That said, Sunday is some people's favourite day for that reason - Paris feels different.

Thank you!

Add another car to an Amtrak train - HAH - that'll be the day!

Another advantage to making these reservations ahead of time is peace of mind. I've been booking transportation and tours for the past three months, bit by bit, all is now finished and the trip is paid for. Just meals and shopping to pay for during trip, and very little to pay for post holiday.

Archived