First time in San Francisco

We are spending one half day and evening in Fisherman's Wharf area, then three days in central San Francisco after a Hawaii cruise. Never been to San Francisco before. Did research and we are overwhelmed. Could someone recommend what to do and see and how to get there with an itinerary? We are going to do Alcatraz, and the Wharf area on the first day before the cruise as our hotel is in that area that night.should we do the hop on hop off? Which line, or doesn't it matter? The park looks so interesting, but it is huge.we cannot see it all and are interested in what the "must sees" are from those who know.

Just got back from San Francisco. (Getting kid to college.)

Boudin's on the wharf for the best sourdough bread. The chocolate raisin bread isn't bad either. The Mother is from the Gold Rush. Museum upstairs.

Dungeness Crab from any restaurant or the food stalls. We like ours steamed with butter.

Near Boudin's is the Musee Mecanique. Fun place to waste 30 minutes and $5. Mechanical toys and arcade games.

Hidden behind the Musee Mecanique are a couple of ships to explore.

China Town

Dim Sum- We found New Asia on Pacific. Huge place. Been there three times since Thanksgiving and have been one of the few (less than 3) tables of non-Chinese.

This is walking distance from the Wharf.

Be sure and get your tickets for Alcatraz in advance. It is very often sold out. It's a very interesting place to visit!

I like the views from Coit Tower. But with your limited time, I wouldn't go out of my way to get there.

The San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park is also fascinating. Many old ships moored that you can tour. It's at the west end of Fisherman's Wharf area.

The last time I was in SF, we had an afternoon free so we took the HOHO Bus. We saw so much! It's also incredible to go over the Golden Gate Bridge in an open topped bus.

If you are like me, you'll definitely want to go back to San Francisco!

Joe

We are spending one half day and evening in Fisherman's Wharf area, then three days in central San Francisco after a Hawaii cruise. Never been to San Francisco before. Did research and we are overwhelmed. Could someone recommend what to do and see and how to get there with an itinerary? We are going to do Alcatraz, and the Wharf area on the first day before the cruise as our hotel is in that area that night.should we do the hop on hop off? Which line, or doesn't it matter? The park looks so interesting, but it is huge.we cannot see it all and are interested in what the "must sees" are from those who know.

Must see will vary depending on your interest, activity level, etc. But here goes my version:

• Cable car ride
  • Hot fudge Sundae at Ghirardelli Square (once you get off cable car)
  • Irish Coffee at Buena Vista Cafe (great breakfast too!)
    • Ferry Building - nice place to shop and sample foods and wine. Even better during Farmers Market!
    • Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 - you just have to check out our sea lions! Maybe some fresh sourdough bread too!
    • oh dear ... too many options to continue!

And the rest really depends ... it is fun to take a tour of some sort. Check TripAdvisor for the various tour buses and find one that suits your needs. I know folks love Alcatraz - but it is a time commitment and well, an old grey prison. I prefer Angel Island and Fort Story.

It is a foodie city - so check OpenTable and make reservations.

Walking through Chinatown is a fabulous experience, as is North Beach. I could go on and on ... not sure if I've helped at all. But it is a very small city 6 miles x 7 miles - very negotiable, very easy to get around on public transit. Bring good walking shoes and just looking at a map may be deceiving, it is close, but might be straight up hill ... google Nob Hill!

San Francisco is my favorite U.S. city and have been there many times. Here are some ideas:

Have dinner at Aliotos on Fisherman's Wharf. (It helps to have reservations.)

Ride a cable car from Fisherman's Wharf to downtown or vice versa. (The drivers are natural comedians who love to engage the tourists. Be sure and hang on to the handles on the outside--cheap thrill.)

Sample and buy chocolate (and shop) at Ghiradelli Square.

Visit Golden Gate Park (the Japanese Garden has a lovely tea; the CA Academy of Science has a great historical and interactive exhibit on the big 1906 earthquake; and the Conservatory is good for plant lovers or to warm up if it's cold.)

If you are art lovers, there are wonderful museums, including the MoMA near downtown.

See a play or other live performance in the theatre district downtown.

Walk around Chinatown for quirky souvenirs and dumplings.

Rent a car and drive over the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset, and if you have time, get over to Sausalito for the art galleries, and perhaps, head out of town to Muir Woods or Sonoma for wine tasting. But drive a car in SF as a last resort because traffic is heavy and parking is worse.

San Francisco is my favorite U.S. city and have been there many times. Here are some ideas:

Have dinner at Aliotos on Fisherman's Wharf. (It helps to have reservations.)

Ride a cable car from Fisherman's Wharf to downtown or vice versa. (The drivers are natural comedians who love to engage the tourists. Be sure and hang on to the handles on the outside--cheap thrill.)

Sample and buy chocolate (and shop) at Ghiradelli Square.

Visit Golden Gate Park (the Japanese Garden has a lovely tea; the CA Academy of Science has a great historical and interactive exhibit on the big 1906 earthquake; and the Conservatory is good for plant lovers or to warm up if it's cold.)

If you are art lovers, there are wonderful museums, including the MoMA near downtown.

See a play or other live performance in the theatre district downtown.

Walk around Chinatown for quirky souvenirs and dumplings.

Rent a car and drive over the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset, and if you have time, get over to Sausalito for the art galleries, and perhaps, head out of town to Muir Woods or Sonoma for wine tasting. But drive a car in SF as a last resort because traffic is heavy and parking is worse.

...with Chloe1500. When you visit Golden Gate Park, you can also visit the wonderful "Haight/Ashbury" district just outside the park...or visit the beach on Great Highway. Don't forget to go up the Coit Tower...giving you stunning panoramic views of the city. If you have time, drive down the "crookedest street" in the world...Lombard. There's also the Mission District, Japan Town (or Japanese Center as it was called when I attended grade school there), Clement Street (the new Chinatown), downtown, Twin Peaks,......ok, I better stop...I'm getting homesick..."I left my heart, in San Francisco"

frankly, living 10 minutes from the haight...I think it is touristy/creepy. lots of kids from out of town hang out on the street, drug deals in the park and not much to really "see" cole valley nearby has a some great places to eat, clement street is more a typical sf scene...

the flower children left in 1967....

my kids and I never go there. maybe go to irving and 9th..that also has great places to eat.

frankly, living 10 minutes from the haight...I think it is touristy/creepy. lots of kids from out of town hang out on the street, drug deals in the park and not much to really "see" cole valley nearby has a some great places to eat, clement street is more a typical sf scene...

the flower children left in 1967....

my kids and I never go there. maybe go to irving and 9th..that also has great places to eat.

As I stated previously, it just depends :) It is often a matter of personal taste, interest, activity level, etc.

Here is a link to TripAdvisor ... I suggest you find reviewers that mirror your point of view/interests and that might be a good way to know what areas you will most enjoy. I don't believe there is any one right answer ...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60713-d103856-Reviews-Haight_Ashbury-San_Francisco_California.html

In addition to all of the great suggestions, I might add a couple....

If you have time and enjoy bicycling, rent bikes and ride across the Golden Gate Bridge (we used bike the bridge but there are several).

Go to Tcho Chocolate for a less "commercial" chocolate experience. Tasting, tours, and wonderful chocolate!

I think someone did mention Muir Woods, but I will mention as well. Especially if you enjoy hiking.....it is a beautiful hike....not difficult....and the view is breathtaking!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We live a few miles out of the city. We go into the city a couple of times a month to eat, visit museum, and hang out...

San Francisco is really a small place. Fisherman's Wharf is only a mile away from central SF... Public transport is good. Mostly it is a safe place. It is reasonable to start walking, exploring, then when tired grab a cab or a bus and head back.

The museums are wonderful, the food across the City, beyond belief.

Walk about pier 39 and Fisherman's wharf, enjoy, but understand that is not the City... Someone suggested a bicycle to the Golden Gate Bridge... If you only make Ft Point under the bridge (no hills) it would be worth it... over the bridge, maybe ferry back would be great...

Some planning or a rental car will allow you to explore Muir Woods, Napa or Sonoma Wine country, or the San Mateo Coast.

We have the regular tourist stuff... Duck Boats, hop on hop off buses, Segway tours and such. But it is an easy city to do on your own...

Randy, questions welcome

If you want to enjoy the best focaccia bread on earth (yes better than in Liguria Italy) go to the Liguria Bakery on Washington Square in the heart of North Beach. It is on the North East corner of the park with a blue awning. They only sell focaccia. That's it. Buy your slabs and then walk across the street to the park, open your treasure and let the aroma take you over as your taste buds dance and try to comprehend what you're tasting. I recommend the tomato flavor and the onion. They also have olive, plain, jalapeno, raisin and rosemary.

After that you can stroll around North Beach or get back on a city bus or tour bus and continue on your journey.

OH, make sure you get there before 11:00 AM. They will sell out and once they do, the close up shop.

You'll thank me later.

If you want to enjoy the best focaccia bread on earth (yes better than in Liguria Italy) go to the Liguria Bakery on Washington Square in the heart of North Beach. It is on the North East corner of the park with a blue awning. They only sell focaccia. That's it. Buy your slabs and then walk across the street to the park, open your treasure and let the aroma take you over as your taste buds dance and try to comprehend what you're tasting. I recommend the tomato flavor and the onion. They also have olive, plain, jalapeno, raisin and rosemary.

After that you can stroll around North Beach or get back on a city bus or tour bus and continue on your journey.

OH, make sure you get there before 11:00 AM. They will sell out and once they do, the close up shop.

You'll thank me later.

Quite possibly ... the best advice I've ever seen on this board. I have not tried this focaccia. Yet! :D Thank you!!

One of the most memorable things we did in SF was to walk across the golden gate bridge. We took the tour to Muir Woods then had the driver drop us off on the Sausalito side of the bridge and we walked across to the SF side. It took maybe 30 minutes to cross - stopping for photo ops. A great memory!

• 2 weeks later...

All good advice so far. My favorites in San Francisco are Japantown on Geary, the Exploritorium, and Golden Gate Park with its Japanese Tea Garden and California Academy of Science. But, like others, I could go on and on... Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been to the Walt Disney Family Museum in SF? My sister is a raving Disney fan and I would love to go with her, but am unsure how close it is to whichever pier# Princess docks at. Pier 35 isn't found on google, so maybe I have the wrong pier# in my memory? Our ship is supposed to dock from 1pm to 1pm the following day so I am trying to plan appropriately for travel and hope we won't be too rushed at the museum? It opens at 10am and closes at 6pm.

I haven't been in the museum, but it is made by the disney family and should be worth a visit. I would take a cab from the pier, then catch the presidio shuttle after your visit...to ft point or the golden gate bridge (5 minute drive), then, if you want, take the muni 28 bus at the toll plaza back to ft mason, next to fisherman's wharf, or take it south and transfer at geary to the 38 geary that goes downtown to union square. or to the park museums or whatever. the museum is on the main parade ground of the presidio.

The first day when we went last fall (for my first time), we had a martini at the Top of the Mark when we were getting tired late in the afternoon and then on the last day we had another cocktail at another hotel with a slightly different top floor view. We normally do not do this but it was a nice break in the day. We walked over the Golden Gate Bridge which was great and walking, biking or renting a car so you can also see Muir Woods is worth it (we met someone who took us and you do need a car or a tour). I also loved the Ferry Building for food and other things. Also, as recommended, get tickets for Alcatraz ahead of time and try to go as early as you can as it gets really crowded as the day goes on.

You might consider a tour to Napa's wine country. It is now quite commercial but still many of the buildings are very interesting. The Culinary IA is in the old Christian Bros winery, Coppola has beautiful glass sculptures, I think (Sterling) has one of the sky gondolas that take you to the winery - great views of the vineyards. If you do go - do so on a weekday as the weekends are a zoo. You would need to find an organized tour, hire a car or rent one for the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, all of you, for the suggestions! We have, as advised, purchased our Alcatraz tickets online. We are going to see the wharf and sea lions, eat crab, get foccocia , see Chinatown and Japtown, take a trolley, go to Sausalito. We will use the public transportation. You are all wonderful resources,my CC friends. This is what travelers do for each other...I love it!

Archived