Backpack or small purse?

akeasley

Hi,

I have always used a backpack while on shore excursions but now that I'm reading about safety issues, I'm wondering if that is a smart idea...maybe use a small purse or even fanny pack :eek:

Did anyone ever feel unsafe while in Cartagena? I'm also wondering about Colon, Panama as well. Unsafe as in, you felt someone might come along and take your things?

Maybe a silly question but I'm a 31 year old female traveling with my 64 year old mother and I would rather stay safe and protect my mom too.

When we were in Cartagena I wore cargo shorts with pockets that zipped. That kept my hands free. Had my cards in a small case tied to a beltloop and that inside a pocket. Kept cash in a couple of other pockets since knew I'd end up buying an item or two from vendors and didn't want to pull out much at once.

I'd suggest you go with a tour rather than off on your own with your mom. We were pleased with Dora but there are several tour guides as well as the ship-arranged ones. Also suggest a hat for there and fabric that breathes since very humid. Enjoy the trip; it's a fascinating city.

i took a straw purse, my husband brought a backpack. we never felt like someone was going to take anything. the vendors were a little aggressive, but that's about it. we were with a group and a tour guide.

when we were in colon, the port building had two small stores: a shoe store and a duty free store with alcohol and perfume. if you venture out to the nearby shopping, it's a shopping center. there's a couple touristy restaurants and stores, but it's also a shopping center for the locals with a grocery store and other necessities.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I have always used a backpack while on shore excursions but now that I'm reading about safety issues, I'm wondering if that is a smart idea...maybe use a small purse or even fanny pack :eek:

Did anyone ever feel unsafe while in Cartagena? I'm also wondering about Colon, Panama as well. Unsafe as in, you felt someone might come along and take your things?

Maybe a silly question but I'm a 31 year old female traveling with my 64 year old mother and I would rather stay safe and protect my mom too.

We were at both ports in 2010 - at no time did we feel unsafe. I have a medium sized cross-body purse that I use. I do not recommend wearing flashy jewelry, and always keep your money separated.

In Cartagena a bunch of us from the ship bartered with a cab/van driver. It cost us $15 pp for the day - well worth it. Our tour guide was knowledgeable and very fun. If you are looking for a great review, my husband wrote on the Norwegian Sun Roll Call for Oct. 9 - look for the review by Speeddyy628.

In Panama, the same group of us bartered again and our driver took us everywhere - we all want to go to non-touristy areas and he obliged. While it is true that these drivers all get a stipend from certain vendors along the way, you can always ask to go other places that you want to see. The canal was really interesting to see.

Have a wonderful trip!

Risa

• 3 weeks later...

We use a backpack in places including Cartagena to carry water and some other items.

I keep wallet in Cargo pants and also used an expensive camera at Cartagena.

Contrast that with say Buenos Aries where I didn't take the expensive camera off the ship but use a mid range price camera and also used a travel wallet which goes underneath my shirt.

Keith

• 1 month later...

I am a 23 year old women living and volunteering in Cartagena. I never 'feel like someone might come along and take my things', and in general I feel very safe in Cartagena. However, like any other tourist city especially in Latin America, there is a high occurrence of pick pocketing and petty theft. If I can avoid it I do not carry a backpack on my back simply because it is out of my field of vision. I frequently go across town carrying my laptop, kindle, camera, and iphone....but I carry a purse that zips and keep it under my arm at all times. Cartagena is as safe as any other port...if you are smart about safety.

Archived