Autumn sightseeing: To 138East or anyone who wishes to help

twobuckbear

To 138East because you are so thoughtful, helpful and well written;

Asking for help in planning post cruise fall colors trip. We are 59 & 60, adventurous, and travel fairly light; one suitcase, one carry on each. We are from Joshua Tree, CA

· Details: Arriving New York the AM of Sept. 12, 2012JFK (red eye using Delta miles)

· Car service (Dial 7) to Sheraton NY Time Square (SPG points)

· Explore NY until cruise; Breakaway to Bermuda Sept. 15-22

· Fly out of JFK on Sept. 26, 8:30 AM

· I think we are doing pretty good so far using points and miles.

When we return from the cruise, we have a few days to fill. Having done our NYC exploring for 3 days prior, we are looking to get out of NYC, if needed, to see fall colors. Any autumn colors to see around the area? This is where we need help.

Thinking of the train (really don’t want to rent a car) somewhere for a few days, possibly Boston?

Is the train a good option? Bus tour OK, too.

Where do we stay at a good rate? We are flexible. Around $ 200.00 or so.

What should we see in Boston as new comers?

We have some Hilton points to use, and more SPG, too.

Upon our return from the cruise, thought about getting a hotel room near Penn Station and heading out on Monday morning Sept. 23. That is if we take a train somewhere. We are open to most anywhere, any direction and anything mode of transportation (except rental car).

We have been to DC and Niagara is too far away.

We don’t have to go far….if there are fall colors around NY.

Concerns;

Need to be back for the early flight on Sept. 26, JFK. So thinking that we need to be back and stay somewhere close to JFK on evening of 25th. Need suggestions.

Having said all of this, what we need is:

• Destination for Sept. 23-24th for fall colors.
  • Hotel and transportation options.
  • Get back to JFK for Sept.26 early flight.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Regards, Judy

Judy,

Late September is often early for fall colors in Southern New England. I usually think of peak about mid-October (but of course it does vary.)

One option is to take the train up to Vermont. Maybe say Brattleboro?

I think that if you are near downtown Brattleboro, there should be enough to do for a couple of days.

I'm just guessing about where peak colors might be in late September. I heard that Yankee Magazine tries to predict it, but have never looked at their website.

Just looked into Brattleboro, VT. Train fee on the Vermonter is very reasonable, however, it is a 5 1/2 hour ride. That would allow a lot of shightseeing but how would a 5 hour train trip be? I have never ridden a train before! It sounds relaxing.

Brattleboro lookes amazing and offers hiking and biking. Also 75 cent bus fare. I think this is a great option. Vermont in the early fall....fabulous!

Judy

Five and a half hours on a train is not a long trip - in my opinion. We've gone from Rochester to Boston and that's about 10 hours. We find it extremely relaxing.

The trains are quite nice these days - also, my opinion. Seats are large and comfortable. Plenty of room for storage of bags. There will be a snack car - at the very least - although some trains have true dining cars and we find the food very good.

Take a look at Amtrak's website - there is a lot of useful information there.

You should consider taking the bus up to the West Point or Bear Mountain or Lake George area, there is not need to leave NY to see some beautiful fall colors if they are around that early. Google them and see if it interests you. We love to take the ride up towards upstate NY in the fall.

The end of September is not prime fall foliage viewing time in the NY tri state area. It's not to say you won't be able to find the pretty colors you seek close to NYC during the 4 days post cruise it just means you may need to travel further north or west to see a more dramatic palette.

I would suggest in addition to Vermont or Hew Hampshire mountain areas the Western Poconos in Pennsylvania. The only draw back on all of these is you're looking at a 3.5 to 6 hour bus or train ride, unless you rent a car. The advantage is some times you can get really decent deals at the ski resorts looking for the fall foliage enthusiasts to fill rooms pre-season.

The best advice I can give you though is to have a plan A, B, & C, then watch the fall color forecast reports as you get closer to your cruise date. This way you can have alternates in case your first choice area is not turning in it's normal time frame. Remember we had some pretty crazy weather in the NE last fall (warm weather that led to a late season tropical hurricane followed 4 days later by a near blizzard) that messed up 2012 fall colors in NJ that most trees just went from green to brown to bare in the less than a week. Here's some web pages for tracking fall colors...

http://www.stormfax.com/foliagemap.htm

http://www.newenglandtimes.com/new-england-fall-foliage/new-england-fall-foliage-index.shtml

http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/fallfoliage/regionindex/northeast

After living in Vermont since 1987, I can honestly say that late September is too early to see much fall foilage in Southern Vermont. Northern Vermont and New Hampshire, yes, but, in the southern part of the state, peak colors don't really hit until maybe two weeks later. You will see some but certainly not peak. Still, the mountains are pretty, no matter where you go.

While there will be some color, late September is really too early.

If you are looking to kill a few days, I would definitely look into Boston. The weather shouldn't be too bad yet. One thing to consider, is it possible to change your flight from JFK to Logan? That way you don't need to go back to NY.

I agree that Sep 22-25 is too early for fall colors within 4 hours of New York. We've gone many times to southern Vermont near Wilmington (between Bennington and Brattleboro) for 40+ years at Columbus Day to see the fall colors. I also wouldn't make any of the suggested trips without renting a car.

Having said all that, I would like to offer a Boston alternative. Mybowlingvacation.com has the Doubletree in the Boston Theater district for $204/night. You can easily take either the train or bus to Boston from New York. This hotel is very centrally located and there are many places you could walk. Other places would be a short ride on the "T".

What are you planning for the very end of your trip? You're flying out of JFK at 8:30 am, so you're going to need a hotel in NY. Let's get some advice from the New Yorkers. Typically the hotels at JFK are NOT recommended. The alternative suggestion is often to stay at LaGuardia and take a cab to JFK.

There would be fall colors in the Adirondack Mountains by that time in September. It would be about a 5-6 hour drive to get into that area. Lake Placid is a former Winter Olympic site and has lots of things to see and do. Lake George area is also very popular.

Thanks to all posters! Suggestions are great and will be considered.

138east, what is wrong with JFK area? Are the accommodations not recommended or is it the area? We have stayed at pretty crappy places before and are not afraid....like I said, we are adventurous and I would like to be close to to my flight. I don't think I can change the airport, as the flight is booked and JFK was my only option using flight miles.

Husband now wants to consider renting a car at JFK and returning it there. :(He likes the Adirondack drive to see fall colors. Any suggestions on places to stay if we go that route?

I like the Boston scenario!:D Train ride sounds nice, too.

Thanks again, everyone! Would love more suggestions, too.

Judy from Joshua Tree

I personally have not stayed at JFK for many years. The New Yorkers who really know the area say that the hotels are used by social services for emergency housing. Hopefully someone will provide more details about this. I know that there have been numerous postings about staying at a nicer hotel at LGA and taking the short cab ride to JFK.

If you want to rent a car, look into renting in Manhattan and returning to JFK. There are several big name rental car places in the area just south of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal near 11th and 12th Ave - very easy to get to.

I give a lot of advice about the Newark airport area and there are places that we just never recommend, particularly to folks from other less urban parts of the country. I don't know LGA or JFK, but I've been to both airports and I would certainly take a local's advice about the area.

I personally have not stayed at JFK for many years. The New Yorkers who really know the area say that the hotels are used by social services for emergency housing. Hopefully someone will provide more details about this. I know that there have been numerous postings about staying at a nicer hotel at LGA and taking the short cab ride to JFK.

If you want to rent a car, look into renting in Manhattan and returning to JFK. There are several big name rental car places in the area just south of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal near 11th and 12th Ave - very easy to get to.

I give a lot of advice about the Newark airport area and there are places that we just never recommend, particularly to folks from other less urban parts of the country. I don't know LGA or JFK, but I've been to both airports and I would certainly take a local's advice about the area.

Roger that, 138east! Thanks for clarifying. I get it now. Judy

Check out Lake Placid area. If you check for hotels in the area, they will probably have Fall Foliage Packages available by mid summer. It would be advisable to make reservations at a hotel since they are usually sold out during Fall Foliage Time. Lake Placid is pretty well centrallly located and you can do drives out in other directions. Routes 30, 3, 73, and 86 are all designated Scenic Byways. They all are around the Lake Placid area and easily accessible. The Adirondacks in the fall are spectacular and no black flies at that time of year either.

While there will be some color, late September is really too early.

If you are looking to kill a few days, I would definitely look into Boston. The weather shouldn't be too bad yet. One thing to consider, is it possible to change your flight from JFK to Logan? That way you don't need to go back to NY.

Pretty much decided on Boston! After reading what everyone had to say, I am convinced that we will be a bit early for fall colors in late September.

Taking your advice 1025cruise, and changing our flight from JFK to Logan. It will cost us dearly but we will not have to schlep back to NYC and deal with train ride back, taxis, hotel and JFK.

Also taking advice of 138east and booking Double Tree in Boston Theater District, on my bowlingvacation.com for 204.00.

Getting a good deal on Amtrak to Boston by booking early, it will be 98.00 for two one way. Will head on over to Boston after disembarking cruise.

Thanks to all for your help. Who knows maybe we will see some fall colors from the train or while walking the Freedom Trail!:p

Judy B.

Pretty much decided on Boston! After reading what everyone had to say, I am convinced that we will be a bit early for fall colors in late September.

Taking your advice 1025cruise, and changing our flight from JFK to Logan. It will cost us dearly but we will not have to schlep back to NYC and deal with train ride back, taxis, hotel and JFK.

Also taking advice of 138east and booking Double Tree in Boston Theater District, on my bowlingvacation.com for 204.00.

Getting a good deal on Amtrak to Boston by booking early, it will be 98.00 for two one way. Will head on over to Boston after disembarking cruise.

Thanks to all for your help. Who knows maybe we will see some fall colors from the train or while walking the Freedom Trail!:p

Judy B.

I hope you love Boston! It is one of our favorite cities. We were fortunate to have our son there for 4 years of college and made many visits. Be sure to go to the North End and the Public Gardens. If you can take a trip out to Geroge's Island (Harbor Islands). So much fun and great views from the water.

Archived