Koh Samui stop on QM2 World Cruise cancelled?

Whitemarsh

I just received an email from the travel agent to inform me that Cunard has cancelled the stop at Koh Samui for the QM2 2013 world cruise. Koh Samui was the next stop after leaving Singapore.

"Following a detailed review of the navigational aspects of Ko Samui it has become necessary for us to cancel Queen Mary 2's planned call on 11

February.

As a result, we are extending our call to Laem Chabang arriving at 10am on 11 February and staying overnight. Queen Mary 2 will sail as

planned in the evening of 12 February."

I checked my voyage personaliser but that hasn't been updated yet, the itinerary still shows the ship stopping at Koh Samui on the 11th February.

I'm hoping they will update the voyage personaliser because if we're having two days in Bangkok then I will want to book another another shore tour - and get my refund for the Koh Samui shore tour that I booked.

It's disappointing as I was looking forward to spending the day on the beach - which was the Koh Samui tour that I'd booked.

There does seem to be a lot happening on this Singapore to Hong Kong sector, as in things going awry. About a week ago I was offered a full refund plus any non-refundable hotel/air charges or other out of pocket costs, and a free cruise (one of the ones on offer was 23 nights) if I cancelled this 8 day sector voyage. Apparently they overbooked it and they needed some people to cancel their voyage.

I just received an email from the travel agent to inform me that Cunard has cancelled the stop at Koh Samui for the QM2 2013 world cruise. Koh Samui was the next stop after leaving Singapore.

"Following a detailed review of the navigational aspects of Ko Samui it has become necessary for us to cancel Queen Mary 2's planned call on 11

February.

As a result, we are extending our call to Laem Chabang arriving at 10am on 11 February and staying overnight. Queen Mary 2 will sail as

I checked my voyage personaliser but that hasn't been updated yet, the itinerary still shows the ship stopping at Koh Samui on the 11th February.

I'm hoping they will update the voyage personaliser because if we're having two days in Bangkok then I will want to book another another shore tour - and get my refund for the Koh Samui shore tour that I booked.

It's disappointing as I was looking forward to spending the day on the beach - which was the Koh Samui tour that I'd booked.

There does seem to be a lot happening on this Singapore to Hong Kong sector, as in things going awry. About a week ago I was offered a full refund plus any non-refundable hotel/air charges or other out of pocket costs, and a free cruise (one of the ones on offer was 23 nights) if I cancelled this 8 day sector voyage. Apparently they overbooked it and they needed some people to cancel their voyage.

I bet some folks would still complain about how they are treated. Can this be a cunning ploy to have you pay more tips and gratuities.

On a serious note I find it slightly strange how a port has been cancelled so close to the visit because of navigational issues. I would like to believe this would be something that would be discussed when the itinerary si first discussed and any problems discussed and sorted? (question not statement)

I bet some folks would still complain about how they are treated. Can this be a cunning ploy to have you pay more tips and gratuities.

On a serious note I find it slightly strange how a port has been cancelled so close to the visit because of navigational issues. I would like to believe this would be something that would be discussed when the itinerary si first discussed and any problems discussed and sorted? (question not statement)

I thought that too, that all ports etc for the world cruise, or any cruise, would have been organised and checked before the ship departed. Maybe something came up and we're not getting the full story, as "navigational" issues shouldn't be too difficult to overcome; after all, the ship can just dock out in the harbour and use the tenders.

Regarding the offer to move over, I thought it was very generous. If I wasn't travelling with people I know, and didn't have another sector following straight after, I may have taken them up on their offer.

I have not received any word on the cancellation of Koh Samui or the problems with the Singapore to HK sector. As usual, I am probably the last to know. I agree that it seems strange that they would find problems with the itinerary now. Maybe if it happened early when we first booked, but now 2 weeks out...very weird.

I don't know if this could be a factor, but the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) changed their Thailand travel advisory on Jan 4, 2013, apparently as a result of increased crimes against tourists and concerns about terriorism.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/thailand

I have not received any word on the cancellation of Koh Samui or the problems with the Singapore to HK sector. As usual, I am probably the last to know. I agree that it seems strange that they would find problems with the itinerary now. Maybe if it happened early when we first booked, but now 2 weeks out...very weird.

I agree, it is weird. Changing where the ship docks in a particular port is one thing, but skipping a port stop altogether is another - and this is not even related to any natural or man-made disaster, which would be understandable.

The reason given by Cunard makes it sound like they've only just figured out the ship can't dock at a port that is part of an itinerary that was finalised over a year ago!

If it is something related to passenger security (see Salacia's post) you'd think they'd skip Thailand altogether.

Hopefully they'll update the voyage personaliser soon so that we can all book shore tours for the extra day in Bangkok. From what I have read on here the port is ages away from Bangkok so tours are a must.

I agree, it is weird. Changing where the ship docks in a particular port is one thing, but skipping a port stop altogether is another - and this is not even related to any natural or man-made disaster, which would be understandable.

The reason given by Cunard makes it sound like they've only just figured out the ship can't dock at a port that is part of an itinerary that was finalised over a year ago!

If it is something related to passenger security (see Salacia's post) you'd think they'd skip Thailand altogether.

Hopefully they'll update the voyage personaliser soon so that we can all book shore tours for the extra day in Bangkok. From what I have read on here the port is ages away from Bangkok so tours are a must.

Yes, I wondered about that too. But as best as I could figure out from news reports, some areas are of more concern (in terms of vunerability to tourist) than others. Beach areas in the south of Thailand seem to be recent "hot spots" for crimes in which tourists are victims. But I've never been to Thailand, and I have no inside knowledge as to why this port was cancelled. Maybe Cundard's decision to skip that particular port was "arbitrary and capricious", but that wouldn't be my bet. -S.

• 3 weeks later...

February.

interestingly the QM seems to be berthed in Koh Samui at the moment, both on a site I dare not mention (sea scanner ) and the web cam......am i missing something??? have I been having too many precruise margaurittas??? I thought various passengers were receiving emails confirming its cancellation?

interestingly the QM seems to be berthed in Koh Samui at the moment, both on a site I dare not mention (sea scanner ) and the web cam......am i missing something??? have I been having too many precruise margaurittas??? I thought various passengers were receiving emails confirming its cancellation?

This is what I am seeing as of the current moment (12:39 ship's time):

Queen Mary 2 webcam

docked in Bangkok (Laem Chabang), Thailand

copied from http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/

Just to add that I have never been to Thailand, so I have no first hand experience as to whether or not the port where the ship is docked is accurate as stated on the website. I yield to those with greater knowlegdge, especially since I have learned that the Cunard website is often inaccurate.

This is what I am seeing as of the current moment (12:39 ship's time):

Queen Mary 2 webcam

docked in Bangkok (Laem Chabang), Thailand

copied from http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/

Just to add that I have never been to Thailand, so I have no first hand experience as to whether or not the port where the ship is docked is accurate as stated on the website. I yield to those with greater knowlegdge, especially since I have learned that the Cunard website is often inaccurate.

Yes, the ship is now docked in a container port some distance from Bangkok.

Yes, the ship is now docked in a container port some distance from Bangkok.

hmmmm...that other site...i dare not mention...(sea scanner) has the same web cam pic and lists it as koh samui.... I havnt been there or laem chabang so dont know what either port looks like...container or otherwise...

The bean counters probably calculated that the call at Ko Samui would be too expensive.

You will do better with the overnight at Laem Chabang in terms of accessing Bangkok.

Avoid Pattaya at all costs. Quite upsetting.

Well, Bobby, whatever happens, at least you tried to offer warning <sigh> Salacia

What must that be like, I wonder?

Hello Salacia,

This particular container port is very boring and there are unfortunately nearby factories that belch smoke into the air. It is not a very nice place.

Louise

PS Check out Whitemarsh's link where the top shows around the world are listed and it says the "Moulin Rough" in Paris is No 1. It sounds to me that it would be appropriate to describe this Tiffany's as "Thai Moulin Rough". Will Whitemarsh ever be heard from again?

Hello Salacia,

This particular container port is very boring and there are unfortunately nearby factories that belch smoke into the air. It is not a very nice place.

Louise

Thanks Louise. I guess I won't put that port on my bucket list then. Trying to narrow that list down a bit :) Cheers, -Salacia

If anybody is interested in Ko Samui and Bangkok, below are a couple of blog postings about these places that I did in late 2010

Bangkok/Laem Chabang --http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/my-palace-is-bigger.html

Ko Samui ---- http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/ko-samui-monkey-see-monkey-do.html

I found both to be quite interesting ports - but, because of the heat, not for the faint-hearted

Barry

If anybody is interested in Ko Samui and Bangkok, below are a couple of blog postings about these places that I did in late 2010

Bangkok/Laem Chabang --http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/my-palace-is-bigger.html

Ko Samui ---- http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/ko-samui-monkey-see-monkey-do.html

I found both to be quite interesting ports - but, because of the heat, not for the faint-hearted

Barry

Thanks Barry, very interesting blog & videos. Cheers, -S.

As a resident of Koh Samui I was also disappointed that the Queen Mary 2 did not call here as scheduled and was initially surprised at the reason given as we have many cruise ships call here – four in the last week. However when I look at the sizes a different picture emerges.

(Sorry - the tabs do not work in the post)

February 2013

Gross Tonnes Length Beam Draft

Volendam 60,906 GT 237m 32.3m 8.1m

AIDAdiva 68,500 GT 252m 32.2m 7m

Oceana Nautica 30,277 GT 181m 25.5m 6m

Minerva 12,449 GT 135m 20m 6m

Queen Mary 2 150,000 GT 345m 41m 10m

Seven Seas Voyager 42,363 GT 204m 29m 7m

Azamara Journey 30,277 GT 181m 26m 6m

Later in 2013

Aurora 76,152 GT 270m 32m 8m

Legend of the Seas 70,000 GT 264m 32m 8m

ms Columbus 2 30,277 GT 180m 25m 6m

Celebrity Millennium 90.238 GT 294m 32m 8m

Silver Shadow 28,258 GT 186m 25m 6m

Ocean Princess 30,277 GT 181m 25m 6m

Dawn Princess 77,499 GT 266m 32m 8.3m

Sun Princess 77,499 GT 261m 32m 8.1m

Diamond Princess 115,875 GT 290m 37m 8.3m

All cruise ships anchor off Nathon on the west coast. The waters here according to Chart Datum are between 10 and 12 metres with a tidal range of about 1 - 2 metres. Generally they anchor off about 4-5 km from shore and use ships and local tenders to transport passengers ashore.

Queen Mary 2 would not have been able to anchor in so close and it would have been a much longer boat trip to and from shore. With the number of passengers and limited quayside space that would have been a logistical nightmare.

What however is surprising is that none of this was known by Cunard in advance and why in the circumstances they included Samui on the itinerary.

I don't know if this could be a factor, but the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) changed their Thailand travel advisory on Jan 4, 2013, apparently as a result of increased crimes against tourists and concerns about terriorism.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/thailand

As a resident of Koh Samui I would be surprised if that was the reason. We regularly have cruise ships here - four in the past week - without any problems. Crime is no more prevalent here than anywhere else.

See my other post for why I think the island was dropped from the schedule.

Archived