Koh Samui stop on QM2 World Cruise cancelled?

Whitemarsh

As a resident of Koh Samui I was also disappointed that the Queen Mary 2 did not call here as scheduled and was initially surprised at the reason given as we have many cruise ships call here – four in the last week. However when I look at the sizes a different picture emerges.

(Sorry - the tabs do not work in the post)

February 2013

Gross Tonnes Length Beam Draft

Volendam 60,906 GT 237m 32.3m 8.1m

AIDAdiva 68,500 GT 252m 32.2m 7m

Oceana Nautica 30,277 GT 181m 25.5m 6m

Minerva 12,449 GT 135m 20m 6m

Queen Mary 2 150,000 GT 345m 41m 10m

Seven Seas Voyager 42,363 GT 204m 29m 7m

Azamara Journey 30,277 GT 181m 26m 6m

Later in 2013

Aurora 76,152 GT 270m 32m 8m

Legend of the Seas 70,000 GT 264m 32m 8m

ms Columbus 2 30,277 GT 180m 25m 6m

Celebrity Millennium 90.238 GT 294m 32m 8m

Silver Shadow 28,258 GT 186m 25m 6m

Ocean Princess 30,277 GT 181m 25m 6m

Dawn Princess 77,499 GT 266m 32m 8.3m

Sun Princess 77,499 GT 261m 32m 8.1m

Diamond Princess 115,875 GT 290m 37m 8.3m

All cruise ships anchor off Nathon on the west coast. The waters here according to Chart Datum are between 10 and 12 metres with a tidal range of about 1 - 2 metres. Generally they anchor off about 4-5 km from shore and use ships and local tenders to transport passengers ashore.

Queen Mary 2 would not have been able to anchor in so close and it would have been a much longer boat trip to and from shore. With the number of passengers and limited quayside space that would have been a logistical nightmare.

What however is surprising is that none of this was known by Cunard in advance and why in the circumstances they included Samui on the itinerary.

"None of this was known by Cunard" ??? -S.

"None of this was known by Cunard" ??? -S.

Salacia, I believe that some weeks prior to the arrival of a Cunard ship, Cunard sends out a local agent to double check the facilities at the port in question. I expect the agent did not like what he or she saw when this port was reviewed.

I believe a similar situation occurred in one of the tender ports in 2011 (perhaps Phuket?). I do not specifically recall the port. But the wharf and pier facilities had been damaged by recent storms and could not stand the weight of all the passengers moving from the ship's tenders to the beach. The piers started collapsing and it was lucky that the passengers were not injured. That port probably should have been cancelled at the time.

As much as I like QM2, I don't believe that it is a suitable ship for World Voyages. Too large for many ports. I would never book a WC on her - and even the Vista class QE and QV are marginal. As an example, with these ships you get to berth in the outer Harbour in Barcelona - rather than the more convenient inner harbour. At other places -- eg Port Denarau in Fiji, the tender boat ride is over 2 klms. In Saigon, smaller ships can get right up to the city - whereas large ones are doomed to Phu My. etc, etc. etc.

After just completing 2 weeks on RCI's Voyager of the Seas , crossing the often rough Tasman Sea to NZ, there is certainly good reason in some parts of the world to choose a larger vessel. But for World cruises, which are all about seeing many places/ports of the World, small is better!! (IMO) :)

Barry

As much as I like QM2, I don't believe that it is a suitable ship for World Voyages. Too large for many ports. I would never book a WC on her - and even the Vista class QE and QV are marginal. As an example, with these ships you get to berth in the outer Harbour in Barcelona - rather than the more convenient inner harbour. At other places -- eg Port Denarau in Fiji, the tender boat ride is over 2 klms. In Saigon, smaller ships can get right up to the city - whereas large ones are doomed to Phu My. etc, etc. etc.

After just completing 2 weeks on RCI's Voyager of the Seas , crossing the often rough Tasman Sea to NZ, there is certainly good reason in some parts of the world to choose a larger vessel. But for World cruises, which are all about seeing many places/ports of the World, small is better!! (IMO) :)

Barry

Good morning Barry,

Excellent points and totally agree with your observations. I guess it is all about compromise.

My personal observations come compromise regarding a World Cruise was roughly in line with what you have laid out. Queen Mary 2 FAR to big and no access to a number of ports PLUS as I type this, no access to the Panama Canal.

The Vista class just scrape in regarding size and the BIG plus was stability. It is well documented that I strongly disagree with anyone that suggests these ships roll about like any type of cork in the proverbial bottle, the bow design does not do them any favours when it comes to cutting through a sea but all that will mean is possibly more crashing into waves and slightly more noise than the larger Queen Mary 2, but far, far more stable than the iconic deep sea liners.

Plus points for the bigger Vista class are comfort and stability, I ruled out Fred Olsen vessels for both those reasons as I do not want a helter skelter type ride across any of the oceans we pass through.

Getting back on topic and looking at the list kindly posted by SamuiRes...

Can you consider it may well indeed be a navigation problem as the draught of the largest ship on that list might just be 8 metres compared

to the 10+ of the Queen Mary 2. Big woman with a big backside :):o (Don steel helmet and prepare for incoming)

What however is surprising is that none of this was known by Cunard in advance and why in the circumstances they included Samui on the itinerary.

Have to agree with that!

Yup, she's like a Grand Old Dame of the Victorian days with a big bustle! :)

Salacia, I believe that some weeks prior to the arrival of a Cunard ship, Cunard sends out a local agent to double check the facilities at the port in question. I expect the agent did not like what he or she saw when this port was reviewed.

I believe a similar situation occurred in one of the tender ports in 2011 (perhaps Phuket?). I do not specifically recall the port. But the wharf and pier facilities had been damaged by recent storms and could not stand the weight of all the passengers moving from the ship's tenders to the beach. The piers started collapsing and it was lucky that the passengers were not injured. That port probably should have been cancelled at the time.

Louise, thanks. That also rings true to my limited experience when ports were cancelled on QM2 Caribbean cruises in years past. Regards, S.

Strange that the ship we are on has docked/tendered in Ko Samuii all day today

we did excellent tours too

Having been on QM2 Southampton to Singapore I woukld dare to suggest the illustrious Commodore did not want to bother with a tender port

Still do not believe the missing of docking in Piraeus to pick up tons of food and docking in Heraklion instead

Crazy thing is food quality and availability was far more of a problem out of Dubaii than ever it was after missing the upload in Piraeus

Archived