Retin-A Questions

tinkerbell_82

I've been doing some research on retin-a and plan on buying some on my cruise in April. I have a few questions, though.

1. Which port would be best to buy it in? We are going to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, and Grand Cayaman.

2. For people that use it, do you really feel like it works / makes a big difference in your skin?

3. How much should I expect to pay for it?

4. What strength should I buy?

Any advice is much appreciated!

I have used different forms of Retin-A (Renova, Differin, etc.) for about 15 years, and I do think my skin looks good for my age. My advice would be to go to a dermatologist and get a prescription and some samples to try before you buy. I think what I get is around $75, but it lasts for months. If you buy something that is too strong for your skin type or to weak to do any good, you aren't really saving any money.

You can buy it in Cozumel without a prescription. I would start with .025 to start and then a tube of .050 to use when you skin becomes adjusted. I use Renova.... a moisturizing version. Yes...it really works. It has been a few years since I bought it there, but the last time I think it was around $21. Now I order it from alldaychemist.com. It's only around $3 a tube and it is exactly the same thing you buy in the states.

Belize is even cheaper than Cozumel---I got 3 tubes for $20. I get the lighter strength (cant remember what the percent is now) You can also buy Latisse in Belize with a perscription. I am kicking myself thay I didnt buy more! My eyelashes are SOOOO thick and long now but I am almost out of it :( Latisse is $40 a bottle at the pharmacy next to the port in Belize.

Belize is even cheaper than Cozumel---I got 3 tubes for $20. I get the lighter strength (cant remember what the percent is now) You can also buy Latisse in Belize with a perscription. I am kicking myself thay I didnt buy more! My eyelashes are SOOOO thick and long now but I am almost out of it :( Latisse is $40 a bottle at the pharmacy next to the port in Belize.

Can you take your current box with prescription info on it (what you would use for refill) or do you need new script? Latisse now comes in two sizes. 3ml and 5 ml. The 3ml is around $120 in the local pharmacies around here and 5ml is around 179. If I could buy it in Mexico for $40, I would be ecstatic!!! Is there a limit to how many you can buy?

I use Atralin, which has .5 trentoin (retin-A) and its expensive! It does make a huge difference. My dermatologist recommended I use it. She says she uses it and so does her mother. Wouldn't it be nice to have a daughter that was a dermatologist???:) I'm sure the mark-up on cosmetic drugs is substantial!:rolleyes:

You need to be VERY careful with Retin A if you'll be in the sun. You can get serious sunburns while wearing it--especially if your skin hasn't adjusted to it yet.

Very true. I only put it on at night and I am not a sun worshipper at all! If I had held true to that philosophy as a younger person, I wouldn't need retin-A!!! Now, at the ripe old age of "I know better", I wear sunscreen and a hat AND sit in the shade!!!:) Besides, isn't pale skin "in" now?

Thank you all for the resonses. I definitely dont plan on starting the retin-a until after the trip because of the sun sensitivity and peeling some people experience.

I did not know about the latisse- thats awesome news! I will defnitely be on the lookout for that as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it looks like I won't have to get Retin-a in the ports now- I went to the dermatologist today and my insurance covers it. Got a tube of 0.05% for $5.40. :D

That's how I get my Differin, and I've been refilling it for about 7 years. I know that if I get lazy my darker spots start to come back on my jawline and cheeks (from sun exposure while riding in cars). When I use it the discolored areas fade completely away.

I also use a very fine exfoliating/resurfacing mixture as a pre-cleanse treatment almost every day. I use Amore Pacific's enzyme product that I buy on ebay, mix it with my pre-cleanse oil, and then emulsify with a little water in the shower, and rinse. At the end of my shower I wash my face with cleanser.

All of this makes my skin look great. My sister was visiting last weekend, and she is only 18 months older than me. She said my skin looks 20 years younger than hers, but I don't think it's that good.

I have also used sunscreen since they started marketing it over the counter in the 1970s. That is a MUST to preserve your skin, because the stuff doesn't start really showing up until you are in your 50s. At least that's when mine did after using sunscreen for 30 years. Then I started the Differin.

Can you take your current box with prescription info on it (what you would use for refill) or do you need new script? Latisse now comes in two sizes. 3ml and 5 ml. The 3ml is around $120 in the local pharmacies around here and 5ml is around 179. If I could buy it in Mexico for $40, I would be ecstatic!!! Is there a limit to how many you can buy?

I use Atralin, which has .5 trentoin (retin-A) and its expensive! It does make a huge difference. My dermatologist recommended I use it. She says she uses it and so does her mother. Wouldn't it be nice to have a daughter that was a dermatologist???:) I'm sure the mark-up on cosmetic drugs is substantial!:rolleyes:

Sorry---My post should have said WITHOUT a prescription! Sorry for the confusion!

That's how I get my Differin, and I've been refilling it for about 7 years. I know that if I get lazy my darker spots start to come back on my jawline and cheeks (from sun exposure while riding in cars). When I use it the discolored areas fade completely away.

I also use a very fine exfoliating/resurfacing mixture as a pre-cleanse treatment almost every day. I use Amore Pacific's enzyme product that I buy on ebay, mix it with my pre-cleanse oil, and then emulsify with a little water in the shower, and rinse. At the end of my shower I wash my face with cleanser.

All of this makes my skin look great. My sister was visiting last weekend, and she is only 18 months older than me. She said my skin looks 20 years younger than hers, but I don't think it's that good.

I have also used sunscreen since they started marketing it over the counter in the 1970s. That is a MUST to preserve your skin, because the stuff doesn't start really showing up until you are in your 50s. At least that's when mine did after using sunscreen for 30 years. Then I started the Differin.

Thank you for all of the advice!! I just turned 30 and I have good skin- but I want to keep it that way. This is my 2nd day using retin-a. I haven't noticed a difference yet but I'm excited.

We should totally start a thread about latisse too. I've been doing massive amounts of research on that now and do plan on buying that in the ports. I can't think of a way to get my insurance to cover it. ;)

AJPACK "You can buy it in Cozumel without a prescription. I would start with .025 to start and then a tube of .050 to use when you skin becomes adjusted. I use Renova.... a moisturizing version. Yes...it really works. It has been a few years since I bought it there, but the last time I think it was around $21. Now I order it from alldaychemist.com. It's only around $3 a tube and it is exactly the same thing you buy in the states."

Hi Ajpack, I have been trying to order from alldaychemist for weeks. I have been using Renova for years but I can no longer get it the way I used to. I used to have friends pick it up in Mexico for me, but no one is going to Tijuana these days. alldaychemist refuses to take a credit card and want an echeck. Is this the method you use and do you trust them? I am running out and don't want the wrinkles back;) Thanks for any information!

Archived