What is wrong with HMC ?

G&G

we have been there on most Caribbean cruises. Now my husbands gets off early, walks down the beach and takes a picture of the ship out in the water and comes back. He is not a beach person. Atlantic ocean is just a walk from our home. Nice and quiet on the ship.

I think due to elderly passengers that may have trouble with tenders, walking on sand and even nutritional no-noes, some passengers are staying on board. Also if Half Moon is at the end of the cruise, maybe they have had enough and wanted to relax on board.

Best part of the lunch is cookies and you can get them in the Lido!!:D

Several people have said the BBQ was not interesting to them, but none were from Texas, or other BBQ part of the country. But when you say "Best part of the lunch is cookies" something is horribly wrong with the island! :eek:

Several people have said the BBQ was not interesting to them, but none were from Texas, or other BBQ part of the country.

I LOVE real BBQ and we have some excellent places to eat it (I am sure it pales in comparison to what you can get), but trust me, this ain't no Texas (or any other Southern) BBQ... this was burgers, hot dogs, some awful looking (I assume) beef... a salad that I still don't know what was in it. I gave up and ate on the ship.

While my wife and I have been ashore at HMC a couple of times, we feel there is nothing much to do there if you are not beach people, which we are not. We also found the BBQ to be quite poor and facilities on shore lacking and therefore we now stay aboard and have a relaxing day with a much smaller crowd on that stop.

However, we have noted on recent cruises that more and more people are staying aboard and therefore the ship remains much more crowded than it used to. I think that part of the issue is that with the amount of repeat cruisers on HAL most have "been there - done that" to the point that HMC is no longer appealing to a lot of people.

Since I started this thread I wish to make the following comments concerning the responses.

We have lived in Florida over 40 years and we are beach people. I grew up only two hours from the most beautiful beaches in the world; between Panama City & Destin, Florida. There were no condo's and only one motel between the two cities in the 50's. So HMC is paradise to us and will always be paradise.

Tendering to HMC use to be a problem but since HAL uses local tenders not ship's tenders, the commute is very easy. Last month we got on the tender on "A" deck, there were no stairs and a gangway three (3) feet wide to board the tender. No Problem.

I too do not like the two story cabana or the shipwreck bar but it is a very small area of the beach. 90-95% of the beach is lined with trees and white sand. There is a beach on the east side of the island that has no structures, lounge chairs or people.

The food at lunch is ok, not the greatest but it is a barbecue so I do not expect anything special; unless you go on a Grand Voyage or even the Voyage of the Viking. On our 2012 VOV cruise, HAL had barbecues around the Lido pool that included salmon, alaska king crabs (the whole crab), lobster and lobster tails, jumbo shrimp, steaks, etc. The difference was is that those cruises are very pricey.

I will always enjoy HMC even if we are the only passengers that go there !

Archived