What is wrong with HMC ?

G&G

we have been there on most Caribbean cruises. Now my husbands gets off early, walks down the beach and takes a picture of the ship out in the water and comes back. He is not a beach person. Atlantic ocean is just a walk from our home. Nice and quiet on the ship.

I think due to elderly passengers that may have trouble with tenders, walking on sand and even nutritional no-noes, some passengers are staying on board. Also if Half Moon is at the end of the cruise, maybe they have had enough and wanted to relax on board.

Best part of the lunch is cookies and you can get them in the Lido!!:D

We think HMC is just beautiful ... but we don't like tendering (couldn't do it the last time, because of my sprained ankle) and we don't think the food is very good ... but we'd probably get off and walk around if we ever go again. Maybe have a drink ...

but the tendering is a real pain! It's much easier to walk off at Labadee, even from Oasis & Allure.

We live in the Tampa Bay area where the water temp's in the Summer reach close to 90 degrees; so 78 degrees at HMC is wonderful :D

Each to his own! At 78 degrees, I will decline the pleasure. My pool water must be mid 80's before I will go in.

YES, it was great; only 30 minute taxi ride from our house to the port. I wish HAL sailed more often from Tampa but I know the Skyway Bridge limits the size of ships into the Port of Tampa

There is talk of exploring the possibility of building a terminal in St. Pete on the west side of the Skyway. Cross your fingers! Would love to have a terminal capable of handling the larger vessels. We have a 10-minute ride to the present terminals. One does get spoiled.

I agree......... 78 degree water is not quite warm enough for us. :) We like low 80's. :o

I also agree how wonderful when we board a ship close to home. That is another feature which makes me love the Canada/New England cruises even more. Sigh.......

There is talk of exploring the possibility of building a terminal in St. Pete on the west side of the Skyway. Cross your fingers! Would love to have a terminal capable of handling the larger vessels. We have a 10-minute ride to the present terminals. One does get spoiled.

Based on conversations with people in the know, it will not happen in my lifetime :mad:

We think HMC is just beautiful ... but we don't like tendering (couldn't do it the last time, because of my sprained ankle) and we don't think the food is very good ... but we'd probably get off and walk around if we ever go again. Maybe have a drink ...

but the tendering is a real pain! It's much easier to walk off at Labadee, even from Oasis & Allure.

Same with DCL, which is a docked port of call at their (beautiful) private island, 'Castaway Cay'! :)

We've missed HMC due to weather conditions more times than we've been there. When we have been able to go in the past, we've reserved a cabana -- the cost wasn't bad split between 2 couples. However, the increase in prices is ridiculous. I couldn't believe how expensive it has become for just 4-5 hours on the island. I might be able to reconcile it a little more if the stop was at the beginning of the cruise but when it's at the end, I just can't justify spending that amount of money.

We're cruising on the Maasdam in March and once again, HMC is at the end of the cruise. We're considering renting a clamshell but definitely won't be doing the cabana. All that being said, it is a beautiful island with gorgeous sand and nice clear water.

I would have loved that, I hate crowded beaches. When we go in March we're going to do the horseback riding by land and sea. Last time we had a cabana -- but now that they raised the price so much we won't be doing that again, it won't be worth it.

HI ..we have done the horse back riding and it is a blast...enjoy!:)

Spose it depends on how often you have been there. Only about 6 times for us thus far, so still enjoy it greatly (although I keep praying for a tropical storm to wash away the pirate ship).

Not a fan of the BBQ and with the recent price hike on cabanas and the early departure time, we don't do the cabana thing any longer, but clamshells are fine. I enjoy the water, regardless of the temp and had a GREAT time parasailing for the 1st time when we were there in Dec. 4 of us in our group, mid 60s but determined NOT to grow old gracefully (or sedately).

Personally - I think they've ruined the true beauty of the place with the shipwreck and two story villas. It's not what it once was. its kind of like going back to the house you grew up in... it's just not the same as the "good old days"

Having a dock at HMC would be great. Not only because a lot of pax hate to tender, but because so often when the weather is beautiful the water is too choppy to tender. We are only 50% being able to tender into HMC and each day the ship had to turn around and leave the sun was out and it was a gorgeous day. But too choppy to tender.

DH will go over for a quick swim when possible; I stay on the ship. We don't cruise for beaches anymore. Much rather stop at another island or spend an overnight at one of our favorites depending on the itinerary.

Personally - I think they've ruined the true beauty of the place with the shipwreck and two story villas. It's not what it once was. its kind of like going back to the house you grew up in... it's just not the same as the "good old days"

Very true.

Our first stops there -- no cabanas at all.

It was so lovely.

I hate the Pirate Ship.

Haven't seen the new 2 story cabanas yet. But just looking at the pictures -- I don't like the looks of them either.

Based on conversations with people in the know, it will not happen in my lifetime :mad:

I don't know about your lifetime, but I am sure that it won't happen in mine. Nonetheless, we do have a new Port Director, for whatever that is worth.

I agree......... 78 degree water is not quite warm enough for us. :) We like low 80's. :o

:o Me too! Having grown up at the beach here in the NE, I used to jump in on Memorial Day (60's f?) It was Bermuda in the summertime that spoiled me! :p :)

The island is so pretty, but HMC would be much better without the tendering. The insane line to get off the ship combined with the limited time ashore (2:30 all aboard), it's not that much fun. Having to tender has other setbacks in addition to the sea conditions determining if you can get there or not, I found each time a boat comes in or out, it shoots the diesel smell of the engines onto the beach, the wind direction was coming right at us in November, plus the wake it creates stirs up the water a bit. The BBQ was not good, maybe one of the worst burgers ever for me, could not eat it, picinic tables covered in ants. Bathrooms were worn out with broken handles, doors, etc... had been looking forward to it from all the descriptions, as I love the beach, but just - meh. The 2 story cabanas look like mini condo's on the shore, the price of the cabana is just over the top for what it is. Sad to say, I can see why people stay on the ship :(

Very true.

Our first stops there -- no cabanas at all.

It was so lovely.

I hate the Pirate Ship.

Haven't seen the new 2 story cabanas yet. But just looking at the pictures -- I don't like the looks of them either.

We saw the two story cabanas and they look so out of place. The unspoiled, beautiful beach at HMC is becoming less so what with the 'improvememnts'. :rolleyes: Hope it is all worth it to HAL as it has very much changed the experience and beauty IMO

We've been told it is possible to build a dock at HMC but would be extremely costly. I am sure that comes as no surprise to anyone. Nor would any of us be surprised if that is the reason HAL won't be building a dock anytime soon. IMO

Archived