Traveling with unrelated minor

sparky9016

I may be over-thinking this, but we are traveling with our daughters friend on our upcoming cruise. I have gotten signed/notarized letters from both of her parents giving permission, etc... She has a passport, but my question is this... Do I need her to have a birth certificate as well? Her parents are divorced, live in different states, and have different last names. Wondering about the birth certificate to prove that the letter I have from her mother, is in fact from her mother because of the differing last names?:confused:

Passport and/or Birth Certificate and Photo ID is for proof of US citensip. You only need one or the other, but not both.

Permission slip is exactly what it says. It should state both parents give permission to travel with " -- " on what ship, and where it is going etc. It should also reference the person's name and some identifying item like possible the passport number for an extra layer.

Passport and/or Birth Certificate and Photo ID is for proof of US citensip. You only need one or the other, but not both.

Permission slip is exactly what it says. It should state both parents give permission to travel with " -- " on what ship, and where it is going etc. It should also reference the person's name and some identifying item like possible the passport number for an extra layer.

I just called Carnival about a similar situation. They told me that we didn't need the minor's birth certificate if we have a passport. I think we will take it anyway because passports don't include parents names. They said to note the ships name and date of travel. I will also include permission to treat in emergency medical situation

We sailed with our nephew (17) last summer. Had the signed, notarized letter with both parents' signatures, his drivers license, and his original birth certificate. Believe it or not, the agent gave us a hard time about the birth certificate and I have yet to figure out why. State-issued, raised seal, everything they say you need. She kept telling nephew "You really should have a passport." All I can think it that it's easier for them to deal with passports than birth certificates. OP, you should be fine with the passport, but if you're more comfortable with both take them by all means.

Yes, you are over-thinking it. It's overkill to take the birth certificate if the child has a passport, even in the situation you describe.

As long as the mother's permission letter says, "I, Jane Doe, authorize Sparky to take my daughter, Mary Smith...." and the father's letter says, "I, John Smith, authorize Sparky to take my daughter, Mary Smith...." you aren't going to have any problems. Each letter identifies the parent, the child and their relationship to the child.

But, taking the birth certificate may give you peace of mind. If the parents are fine with your taking the birth certificate too, why not?

So, I see this question comes up a lot,

are people concerned about getting on the ship or off?

We have never traveled with other peoples kids, but we did travel with our son, DiL and her son, who has a different last name, and there was never a thought of it, when getting on the ship or off.

So I don't understand the reason for all the concern, please explain.

So, I see this question comes up a lot,

are people concerned about getting on the ship or off?

We have never traveled with other peoples kids, but we did travel with our son, DiL and her son, who has a different last name, and there was never a thought of it, when getting on the ship or off.

So I don't understand the reason for all the concern, please explain.

When a child travels with only one parent or no parents, what looks to you like a fun vacation appears to the authorities as a potential kidnapping. Some years ago DH traveled to England with our oldest son while I stayed home with the two younger sons. We had never heard anything about needing a letter from me giving DH permission to travel; at the airport, DH was asked for the letter. The only things that saved the trip were (1) DH could show that they had round-trip tickets and (2) they took son out of DH's presence and questioned him about the trip - specifically, why I wasn't there. Apparently he gave satisfactory answers.:o With our sailing on Pride last year, the agent made it very clear that if we hadn't had the letter, nephew would not have sailed.

Have a quick question, when we cruise in June with our son and his friend they will both be 18. Since the friend will be 18 do I still need a letter from his parents? I don't want to be turned away at the port!
Once they're 18, they're considered adults and the letter should not be needed.

Archived