Tell me about Port of Boston

tammi0916

Hello! We are going on the Dawn and this is our first time on NCL and out of Boston....

• How is parking (we plan on leaving our car for the week at the port)?
  • We are in a suite - where do we go? is there a seperate line?

Anything special about the port that I should know about?

As always, thanks!

Tam

As you enter the port area, the large parking garage will be on your left. There has always been plenty of space, and it presents as a secure place to park. You may be able to drop you luggage first, then circle back into the garage - all depends on security.

Across the plaza area in front of the Design Center, you'll see the luggage drop cages and check in building. Hope you will be able to access the first building as the second one is a cold, depressing warehouse in appearance. Once inside you'll find multiple check in places for standard guests staterooms, repeaters and suites - personally, I go for the shortest lines. Then take either the elevator or escalator upstairs for the security check.

For a nice picture of your ship, walk onto the Summer Street bridge.

Darcy

As you enter the port area, the large parking garage will be on your left. There has always been plenty of space, and it presents as a secure place to park. You may be able to drop you luggage first, then circle back into the garage - all depends on security.

How much per day is the port parking garage in Boston?

How far do you have to cart your luggage from the garage to the luggage check-in? Is it right next to the pier or is it a block or two away from where you need to be?

Can one person drop the others off with the luggage right on the pier (as limo services do) and then go park and come back to meet them? Oh...never mind. I see that you said it depends on security. Sigh... Can't make things easy, I suppose. So, that leads to another question. Can the LIMOS drop you there?

Thanks much in advance!

DML

No sure of the exact amount, but for our cruise last year, I think parking costs about $100 or so.

THe garage is around the corner, sort of, from the place where you enter security. It is about 5 minutes from the time you park the car, go down the elevator, and walk the pathway to the boarding area. However, you can pull up to the drop off area, unload your luggage and then go park your vehicle. We have never had an issue with this procedure.

Honestly, for us, the hardest part about Boston is driving there LOL. I don't find Boston to be the easiest city to navigate. Lucky for us, we come in from the north, through NH, so we don't get too caught up in the Boston traffic mess. LOL

No sure of the exact amount, but for our cruise last year, I think parking costs about $100 or so.

THe garage is around the corner, sort of, from the place where you enter security. It is about 5 minutes from the time you park the car, go down the elevator, and walk the pathway to the boarding area. However, you can pull up to the drop off area, unload your luggage and then go park your vehicle. We have never had an issue with this procedure.

Honestly, for us, the hardest part about Boston is driving there LOL. I don't find Boston to be the easiest city to navigate. Lucky for us, we come in from the north, through NH, so we don't get too caught up in the Boston traffic mess. LOL

Thanks much! How long was your cruise for that $100 parking?

As for driving in Boston, in the 50s, Isaac Asimov was quoted as saying: "Driving in Boston is anarchy on wheels." Sadly, it hasn't improved since then. ;)

DML

We loved sailing out of Boston last summer!

We got to the pier around 10am.

My husband was able to drop me, the kids and our luggage off and then go park the car. Within seconds a valet appeared and took our luggage. The whole process was very easy.

If you take a look at my signature below, you will see our vacation video from last summer. There are quite a few scenes from the cruise port during the first minute of the video - Including the little waiting area for the suite passengers. (We were in a suite).

Have a great cruise!!

Thanks much! How long was your cruise for that $100 parking?

As for driving in Boston, in the 50s, Isaac Asimov was quoted as saying: "Driving in Boston is anarchy on wheels." Sadly, it hasn't improved since then. ;)

DML

In Sept 2010 & again in Oct 2011, parking was $116 for 7 day cruise. Not sure whether it's gone up.

The port website says $16 / day cash, visa or MC

That is correct, at least it was as of last summer.

I've parked and carried (ok, pulled!) my luggage to the ship from the garage with no problem, and have also had 1 person drop off passengers + luggage at the ship then go park. However, when we did the drop off thing we got to the ship really early, not sure if it's as easy to do if you arrive when it's busier.

Hello! We are going on the Dawn and this is our first time on NCL and out of Boston....

• How is parking (we plan on leaving our car for the week at the port)?

Consider this too if you are coming from CT - Park at the TF Greene Airport in Warwick, RI and take the train from Warwick to Boston. When you come out of South Station, the port is not that far - very short cab ride though it is walkable if desired. The trains run on Fridays (Dawns sail day), will not have to drive all the way to the city, and the 1 week rates in the area may be less expensive. You can catch it further down south in RI now too, possibly even in CT - check it out as an inexpensive option.

Consider this too if you are coming from CT - Park at the TF Greene Airport in Warwick, RI and take the train from Warwick to Boston. When you come out of South Station, the port is not that far - very short cab ride though it is walkable if desired. The trains run on Fridays (Dawns sail day), will not have to drive all the way to the city, and the 1 week rates in the area may be less expensive. You can catch it further down south in RI now too, possibly even in CT - check it out as an inexpensive option.

Parking at the new Wickford Junction train station in RI which is one stop south of TF Greene (although I'm not sure the same trains go to both? in any case, it's a bit south of Providence) is $4 per day.

Archived