Sunshine announcement

Kcjarvis

No. All of this talk about an "all weather ship" has made me realize that the reason Bayonne has been stuck with Explorer for so long is because none of the other ships were considered suitable for a cold weather port (or at least cold weather some of the year).

Why wouldn't any of the Radiance class ships (aside from the issue of their lower passenger capacity) be better suited for a cold weather port than any of the Voyager class ships (including Explorer)?

Barely related, but did I miss a definite announcement of Majesty leaving the fleet? I guess it is logical, but I hadn't heard a specific announcement.

It might be jumping to conclusions that Majesty OTS will leave the fleet. They may move her to an Asian, South American or European port and run short 3/4 day cruises with her. Maybe give her a major overhaul first. Her size will let her visit ports that the large ships cannot.

It might be jumping to conclusions that Majesty OTS will leave the fleet. They may move her to an Asian, South American or European port and run short 3/4 day cruises with her. Maybe give her a major overhaul first. Her size will let her visit ports that the large ships cannot.

Were told by the captain in January that she will have to be retired in the next year or two because of new environmental standards, for which she does not comply. This is the same reason Monarch is being transferred out of the fleet.

While I haven't seen anything official either, the most telling sign of all is that she isn't even listed on the official Oasis-style makeover sheet.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/12028421_Revit_QuickReference_Guide.pdf?cid=int_0082

We know the Sovereign-class ships are bringing the fleet down in many ways (notably the environmental issues) and I don't think it is even the tiniest bit of a stretch to assume she's on the chopping block, even without an official announcement.

Put a fork in her.

No. All of this talk about an "all weather ship" has made me realize that the reason Bayonne has been stuck with Explorer for so long is because none of the other ships were considered suitable for a cold weather port (or at least cold weather some of the year). That they are making a big deal about the Quantum ships being all weather means that they need to put it someplace where that makes sense, like Bayonne. Think of how great it would be to take a cruise in the winter and not lose a day or two in each direction because you couldn't take advantage of the outdoor activities? If we got Liberty, we'd have the same problem we have with Explorer now (except there would be more stuff we couldn't do).

And especially with Breakaway in NY, they HAVE to bring in Quantum to compete.

FYI Radiance class ship where built with Alaska (cold weather) in mind. Voyager class ships (Explorer, Voyager, Mariner, Adventure, and Navigator) where built for the caribbean (warm weather.)

They will put the ship where they can maximize shareholder return. (just ask any west coast cruiser:D)

FYI Radiance class ship where built with Alaska (cold weather) in mind. Voyager class ships (Explorer, Voyager, Mariner, Adventure, and Navigator) where built for the caribbean (warm weather.)

Tis true. Radiance ships are the ones that head to Alaska, Iceland and the Baltic Sea. And then they move them in the winter months to warm weather climates. Right now, all the Radiance class ships are in warm/tropical itineraries and ports. So building a new "cold weather" ship (personally, I would call it an "all weather" ship) doesn't particularly mean it is absolutely going to a "cold weather" port, just that it can and retain passenger comfort.

They will put the ship where they can maximize shareholder return. (just ask any west coast cruiser:D)

Been saying this for a while. They desire to maximize profits, not compete against some other line's ship or make some part of the population happy because there is a ship nearby (though, if they can do all of the above, that would certainly make the shareholders happy).

That is just a generic rendering of a cruise ship. It is on a poster in the entrance to the naval architecture department at my university. I would imagine they used the same image as a placeholder for the sunshine class on that slide.

If I'm not mistaken Princess was(is) using this same "ship" for commercial purposes.

I had started a new thread showing an image of the Quantum Class I had not previously seen before.

Hi Eric, it looks like a 'generic' sort of publicity image to me! It does not match with the leaked model or rendering, which DO match with each other and the stell cutting silhouette. (see link below)

This Youtube slide show features some intetesting spceulation and rumor (but NO facts!):

http://youtu.be/4hfhGpScYAo

Hi Eric, it looks like a 'generic' sort of publicity image to me! It does not match with the leaked model or rendering, which DO match with each other and the stell cutting silhouette. (see link below)

This Youtube slide show features some intetesting spceulation and rumor (but NO facts!):

http://youtu.be/4hfhGpScYAo

Oh, I agree, it is just a generic concept image. I just figured it would be interesting to folks here. I'll believe the final product when I board her in 2014 or 2015. :p

Eric

• 1 month later...

Been saying this for a while. They desire to maximize profits, not compete against some other line's ship or make some part of the population happy because there is a ship nearby (though, if they can do all of the above, that would certainly make the shareholders happy).

Royal has made the Northeast population very happy campers today. The NY/NJ area = profits.....plain and simple.;)

Archived