Sunshine announcement

Kcjarvis

You're correct, no specific announcement about Majesty yet.

Thanks, I'm keeping an eye on that one. I might consider doing "one more" on her if that announcement comes around. Who needs an excuse to go to Key West though.

You're correct, no specific announcement about Majesty yet.

I have a pretty good source who has been spot on with info over the past few years. According to them, Quantum is going to replace Explorer at Bayonne, and Explorer is going to be moved to Miami to take over Majesty's itinerary.

I take all "inside" info I hear with a grain of salt but to this day, I have been wondering why RCI "tested" Key West with a Voyager Class ship last year. We shall see.

I have a pretty good source who has been spot on with info over the past few years. According to them, Quantum is going to replace Explorer at Bayonne, and Explorer is going to be moved to Miami to take over Majesty's itinerary.

I take all "inside" info I hear with a grain of salt but to this day, I have been wondering why RCI "tested" Key West with a Voyager Class ship last year. We shall see.

Interesting. Maybe we will this in the fall 2014 itineraries to be released soon.

Taking that at face value and understanding your disclaimer, that would prove a quandry for me, take one more on Majesty, or wait for Explorer? It might depend on the timing for me, but I am getting hungry for another Burger at the Black Fin Bistro. <- I think that was your recommendation to me back here in 2010 and it raised your credibility with me ;)

This is what I've been thinking they would do. It just makes a lot of sense. A Voyager class ship doing short cruises from Miami would certainly held spur more interest in those cruises than the old, tired Majesty. While there would be more inventory to sell, I bet they could still charge higher prices due to the higher demand of going on a ship with more to do.

i love the name Quantum!!! maybe the scientist in me, but i like the idea of a quantum leap forward!! :)

I have to agree!! ;)

And no, I did not recently create this name just for the Quantum class...I've used it for sometime in reference to a favorite late 80's TV show! :D

:)

The chess moves with the ships that come with new ships fascinates me. I get excited for ships I'll never go on!

The chances of me sailing out of Bayonne... virtually nil. I'm still excited.

Me too, for ships I may never sail again possibly, but who knows why 5-10 years may bring. I see Voyager is in the far East. I may sail out of Bayone, but its not in the definite plans.

I think you might be onto something due to the "Key West Test" that was done. I'm not sure if it was you who posted the webcam shots of the Mariner conducting the "test" but I think it could prove your hypothesis correct. :)

Here are the top three:

DISNEY FANTASY

Length: 1115 ft Beam: 137 ft

NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY

Length: 1062 ft Beam: 130 ft

CELEBRITY REFLECTION

Length: 1047 ft Beam: 123 ft

I guess we can count on QUANTUM being at least the size of DISNEY FANTASY, perhaps even slightly longer and wider but not sure about that.

Ernie

We now have the official dimensions of the Quantum Class.

Length = 348m (1142 ft)

Beam = 41m (135 ft)

166,500 gt

4100 pax (double occupancy)

40.6 space ratio

Looks like the Quantum Class will be the longest passenger vessels ever constructed at Meyer Werft but not the widest. The DISNEY DREAM/FANTASY are still wider. Quantum Class will be longer than the Freedom Class, but the Oasis Class is still longer and wider.

I'm not sure what the length and width will be of NCL's Breakaway Plus.

Ernie

Since they are moving 3rd Oasis from Finland to France, they no longer have to worry about the Great Belt bridge.

Not that they would be looking to make major changes, but I wonder if they would want to make the ship a little higher. That way the Oasis Class can continue to have all of the extremes.

If she is going to be homeported in Bayonne, that would be a problem.

I think smoosh was reffering to the 3rd Oasis Class ship as far as clearing bridges. I think most of us know an Oasis Class ship might be too tall to get into New York's harbor and Royal probably wouldn't even consider an Oasis Class ship in Bayonne.

I would put money on Quantum going to Bayonne (:rolleyes:), Explorer moving to Miami to take over Majesty, Oasis or Allure moving to Port Canaveral for 7 day cruises, and Anthem going to South Florida for Caribbean sailings. Freedom would potentially move to a more exotic market (Asia or Australia) to join Mariner.

Out of curiosity, with regards to RCI's future fleet, I remember hearing a few years ago that there was a tentative agreement in place for a fourth Freedom class. Does anybody know whatever became of that?

Unfortunately, nothing ever became of it. That would be a dream come true, especially since the Voyager and Freedom class ships are getting older, certainly not old, but not fresh new ships anymore.

I'm glad the Quantum class will be roughly the same size, but who knows if they will be remotely similar.

Hopefully with a larger ship out of Bayonne, they will be able to do a better itinerary. I am kinda tired of the same old St Thomas, Labadee caribbean cruises. I would like to see a 14 day southern caribbean out of Bayonne.

I would like to go on the Oasis class, but not interested in the ports. Port choice is they key for me and the wife now. Hopefully a better variety of ports will be coming with a newer vessel.

Hopefully with a larger ship out of Bayonne, they will be able to do a better itinerary. I am kinda tired of the same old St Thomas, Labadee caribbean cruises. I would like to see a 14 day southern caribbean out of Bayonne.

I would like to go on the Oasis class, but not interested in the ports. Port choice is they key for me and the wife now. Hopefully a better variety of ports will be coming with a newer vessel.

How would a bigger ship enable better ports? It works the opposite way

I think smoosh was reffering to the 3rd Oasis Class ship as far as clearing bridges. I think most of us know an Oasis Class ship might be too tall to get into New York's harbor and Royal probably wouldn't even consider an Oasis Class ship in Bayonne.
I THINK ... KNOW ... MIGHT BE:confused::eek:

"Might be" doesn't sound like you actually know anything.

BTW Oasis [with telescoped funnels] will easily get under the Varrazano Narrows Bridge and to Bayonne on Upper New York Bay.

Thom

How would a bigger ship enable better ports? It works the opposite way

Agreed. With the newer ships, the ship becomes a destination - as important as the ports.

BTW surprised no one has posted that Kristin Chenoweth was announced as godmother of Quantum during a commercial at the start of the Oscars last night. Maybe it's in another thread.

Agreed. With the newer ships, the ship becomes a destination - as important as the ports.

BTW surprised no one has posted that Kristin Chenoweth was announced as godmother of Quantum during a commercial at the start of the Oscars last night. Maybe it's in another thread.

People have posted it, in about 5 new threads on the first page, at least last time I looked.

and if we cant get Quantum in the Northeast, at least give us Liberty or the Freedom. let's get a bigger ship from Royal in the Northeast already. i would be very happy with that as a compromise if it had to come to that.

No. All of this talk about an "all weather ship" has made me realize that the reason Bayonne has been stuck with Explorer for so long is because none of the other ships were considered suitable for a cold weather port (or at least cold weather some of the year). That they are making a big deal about the Quantum ships being all weather means that they need to put it someplace where that makes sense, like Bayonne. Think of how great it would be to take a cruise in the winter and not lose a day or two in each direction because you couldn't take advantage of the outdoor activities? If we got Liberty, we'd have the same problem we have with Explorer now (except there would be more stuff we couldn't do).

And especially with Breakaway in NY, they HAVE to bring in Quantum to compete.

Archived