Sunshine announcement

Kcjarvis

I also thought I read somewhere that Bayonne's port was expanding, but that could mean for other ships.

If Quantum is the name then James Bond has GOT to be on this ship, please! Like the way Anthem will look on the ship (it will be pretty like Allure), but not fond of the name. The two don't seem to fit together too well, but then again neiither does Oasis and Allure but I love them both!

CANNOT wait to book!!! My plea, PLEASE RCI, is to go out of Bayonne so that those of us up north have some other option other than just Explorer or Grandeur. Heck, it would be even better for me if it were out of Baltimore but I bet that's not the case. AND I'm hoping like someone else posted that a longer Christmas cruise would be in order so that we could go deep south from the north.

I'm sure, though, that wherever she is homeported, she'll be in great demand!! Can't wait to hear more!!!

Now just get me those Dooney or Coach RCI purses onboard like Disney has.:)

DUH! Now that i just read what RCI had to say about the names on their website, I'm all good with both of the names. Now I understand the reasoning (ok, I'm a little thick tonight), I really like them. I agree that I hope no other line has the hutzpah (sp?) to steal them because RC deserves the distinction of having unique names.

I highly doubt it. Putting Quantum in Florida would put Quantum into competition with Oasis/Allure -- essentially have RCI competing with itself -- and drive down prices for all 3 ships. I have no inside information so I'm not saying it could never happen, it just wouldn't make any sense from a business perspective.

This is yet another reason why putting it up in NJ makes sense. They can command a premium for it in a huge market without drawing passengers away from any other RCI ships in the immediate market (I'm counting Baltimore as a seperate market).

Exactly. And considering that these are Project "Sunshine" ships, it just makes sense that they are made for cold weather departures. I can't see either of these ships going to Florida or California.

Exactly. And considering that these are Project "Sunshine" ships, it just makes sense that they are made for cold weather departures. I can't see either of these ships going to Florida or California.

If they're really designed for colder weather this just might be our chance: HOMEPORT BUFFALO .... ok I know .... Toronto? .... Heck I'd settle for Cleveland. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just me, but every time I watch the video and I hear them say "quantum leap", all I can see is the media headlines the first time someone decides to end it all by jumping off this ship. "Passenger takes quantum leap - film at 11":eek:

My biggest fear is that they will try to "squeeze" Oasis class passenger capacity into a Freedom class size ship. I'm sure the ships will be beautiful with amazing new amenities, but at what cost? Imagine the public spaces on "at sea days" on Freedom class ships - now add a few hundred more passengers.... I forget the exact statistics, but I know this is the goal of RC. The more people they can fit, while improving fuel consumption will improve their bottom line.

Doc

I wouldn't fear this happening. Both Freedom class and Oasis class have more square feet per passenger than any Carnival or NCL ship. I do not see Ny reason they would reverse this trend in particular after having so much success with the Oasis class.

If they're really designed for colder weather this just might be our chance: HOMEPORT BUFFALO .... ok I know .... Toronto? .... Heck I'd settle for Cleveland. Oh well.

Would get my vote :D. Sadly it would make for a relatively small ship. Ships that can cruise into the great lakes must be no larger than 740' in length, 78' beam, 26' draft, and above waterline height of 116' - smaller than the Sovereign class.

I say Boston for the summer, but my guess might be Baltimore if the port can handle it. Not sure of what the water line is there, but with the itineraries the Enchantment does that could make sense.

Smitty

Okay, IMVHO why not put both ships in Jersey! :D We're underserved by the EOS and Summit. The Silhouette was here for a very short bit and then left. So, why not both of these PLUS something new from Celebrity. The area can certainly sustain more ships more profitably than any other area.

If one of these does come to Bayonne I hope Royal also brings back the 2 week (Xmas, New Year) cruise to the Caribbean rather than drap cruises to PC and the Bahamas.

I doubt they will bring 2 of them to NJ since it would give them too much capacity and the prices would drop.

Also doubt they will do a 2 week cruise since it is unlikely they'd be able to get the same price they can get for two one week cruises. The itinerary doesn't matter on holiday cruises since you have an audience who wants to cruise that week.

Speaking of prices, does anyone think that having Breakaway in NY will affect RCI's business, leading to lower prices on Explorer? I do not like NCL, but even I would consider going on Breakaway. I think that alone is reason why one of these new ships MUST be in NJ.

Would get my vote :D. Sadly it would make for a relatively small ship. Ships that can cruise into the great lakes must be no larger than 740' in length, 78' beam, 26' draft, and above waterline height of 116' - smaller than the Sovereign class.

Having a cruise ship do the great lakes I would love that. Even thou I am from mi I would still enjoy it. Try to see sovereign class fit in the soo locks

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk please excuse typographical errors

Liz - It's so good to see you back on the boards!!!:D

Thank you :D

So what do you think of the names ?

To me, Quantum says...past, present, future, unknown, unexpected, magical, electric, light, shiny, space....mmm really like this name :D

Anthem says...musical, important, together, for everyone, under one roof...mmm liking this one more and more :D

Space ratios only tell part of the story, but QUANTUM's space ratio appears to be quite respectable and in range with the Oasis and Freedom Class.

Freedom Class: 42.49

Oasis Class: 41.71

Quantum Class: 40.73

Compare with some other new builds:

CARNIVAL BREEZE: 35.24

ROYAL PRINCESS: 39.17

NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY: 36.39

CELEBRITY REFLECTION: 40.05

Unnamed Carnival Newbuild: 33.75

Ernie

Wow! That puts it in perspective!

When on the Vision last week the Master talk very briefly about the new ships and said they are being made to sail out of cold weather ports like south hampton and NJ and they will be great for transatlantic crossings. I took from that they will be able to be buttoned up and still allow for the "outdoor" activities such as sitting by the pool, etc. even in bad weather.

So I doubt they will be based anywhere where its warm year around…

When is it anticipated that itineraries will be released for booking? Late this year?? If Quantum is out Fall of 2014 that sounds like a perfect holiday to celebrate our 20th Anniversary. We did Oasis for our 40th birthdays and loved it.

10 years for us. A great anniversary trip IMHO.

I did both inaugurals as well but the Oasis was priced very high - original booking for an inside was $1689pp which we did get down to $1429pp. Allure inaugural we booked fairly last minute (late October for Dec 5) and snagged an inside GTY with a residency discount for $749pp. :) In comparison my April 2012 Oasis was $809 for the cabin next door to my Allure one. Both inaugural cruises were worth every single penny though ;)

I expect the Sunshine 1 inaugural cruise to price slightly higher than the current average Oasis/Allure prices... my guess will be $999-1099 for an inside if it's a 7 night cruise

We booked both inaugurals as soon as they were available and it was $1399pp for the Oasis and 1299pp for the Allure. Both were superior Oceanview balconies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived