Sunshine announcement

Kcjarvis

I am hoping Port Canaveral picks up a third RCI ship. Carnival is now running three ships

out of our port and "the mouse" has two.

Big beautiful RCI terminal sits empty on Saturdays.

Maybe it won't be the Sunshine series, but perhaps one ship that is

replaced by the new one? One can only hope. :)

Yes, I agree with you about how nice it would be to have one more ship at Port Canaveral.

Hate the name "Quantum" for the class and the ships. The other names were much better:

Sovereign - the head of state - someone who has authority and respect like the cruisers will have

Vision - to see ahead, or to have a spiritual experience..."a lovely vision," "a vision of perfection."

Radiance - to shine or glow with light... "the bride was radiant."

Voyager - to travel and explore

Freedom - to have liberty

Oasis - a cool spring in the middle of a hot desert, a place that provides refuge and safety

All of those are regal, soaring concepts. Now we add:

Quantum - the smallest subdivision of a particle.

Not too sexy. And of course a quantum leap is going from one place to another without passing through the intervening distance. Is that the image they're really going for?

. . . Quantum of the Seas just sounds a bit strange. . . .

Watch the video that RCI released today [several have linked it above and on other threads or you can see it on the RCI website]. RCI claims it has chosen this name because it is a "quantum leap" in cruise ship design. They are certainly setting the bar high before they release any details -- especially when you consider the recent innovations on other RCI ships. To go a "quantum leap" beyond RCI's existing ships will have to be something really special. I hope they live up to their self-induced expectations.

The economy here has really suffered since the shuttle program ended and it would be a real boost to have one more ship coming out of Port Canaveral. I heard on the local news some time back that Canaveral is expanding and that the new construction would enable any class of ship to dock there.

A new ship or even one from the Oasis class would be nice competition for Disney. Not to mention that there are a lot of nearby attractions.

As far as Bayonne is concerned, I fully agree that you need at least one more ship sailing from there!

As you can see from my signature, I am very loyal to Royal. It is a great cruise line with excellent service.

I agree, but am not sure our port is deep enough for the Oasis? And would probably need

a much bigger parking area (though many are not parking there any longer due to

the change in pricing).

Port Canaveral will be undergoing a widening/deepening project soon. They've received Army Corps of Engineers approval and just need state and federal buyin now (which will likely happen).

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2012/10/panel-approves-port-canaveral.html

Florida seems the logical choice for Quantum to sail out of.

I highly doubt it. Putting Quantum in Florida would put Quantum into competition with Oasis/Allure -- essentially have RCI competing with itself -- and drive down prices for all 3 ships. I have no inside information so I'm not saying it could never happen, it just wouldn't make any sense from a business perspective.

This is yet another reason why putting it up in NJ makes sense. They can command a premium for it in a huge market without drawing passengers away from any other RCI ships in the immediate market (I'm counting Baltimore as a seperate market).

Perhaps they will do what P&O Cruises used to have on their ships and move the Viking Crown to the front of the ship. That would give some spectacular views.

Would make too much sense for RCI but is really one of the things we liked most about HAL. Midship is such a waste of view opportunity. Nothing like looking out over the bow as it cuts through the water.

Quantum - the smallest subdivision of a particle.

Then again there is "Quantum Leap". Etymology of which seems to be that while in scientific terms the leap of a quantum wave of energy may be small it has in layman's terms come to represent a sudden and dramatic change or something so new that it is beyond "next". I suppose "newer than next" would be "Wow". ;) Be thankful it was not named "Wow of the Seas." :D

I highly doubt it. Putting Quantum in Florida would put Quantum into competition with Oasis/Allure -- essentially have RCI competing with itself -- and drive down prices for all 3 ships. I have no inside information so I'm not saying it could never happen, it just wouldn't make any sense from a business perspective.

This is yet another reason why putting it up in NJ makes sense. They can command a premium for it in a huge market without drawing passengers away from any other RCI ships in the immediate market (I'm counting Baltimore as a seperate market).

Totally agree......;)

Gwen :)

OK...crossing fingers....2014 for the first NEW ship....2014 for the NEW Panama canel....2015....RCL will cruise out of California Again.....Just say'n and really Hoping!! :):):) Bring us one of the left over ships...we will love her as our own !

Mike

Mike, I like your thinking. Panama canal would be great.

Port Canaveral will be undergoing a widening/deepening project soon. They've received Army Corps of Engineers approval and just need state and federal buyin now (which will likely happen).

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2012/10/panel-approves-port-canaveral.html

That is great to hear!!

Thanks so much for the update! :)

Edit: Also found this.

na9a2y9u.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This rendering looks like the Celebrity Solstice class ships (specially the forward and aft part) with a Viking Crown lounge.

Quantum of Solstice:D

Its a nice drawing though and would not mind if Royal choose this design.

I do like the name Quantum:)

I hope Royal keeps on of the ships i Europe and Asia.

No worries about Carnival also naming a ship "Quantu." Carnival passengers would need a dictionary..... ah never mind.

IT'S A JOKE PEOPLE!

:D:D:eek:

Well at least we got something out of them. I'm sure more will be trickling down the pipeline in the next few weeks.

I think it's time for the CC powers-that-be to make a Quantum Class sub form like we had with Oasis to keep all the threads a bit more organized!

To go a "quantum leap" beyond RCI's existing ships will have to be something really special.

A quantum is really small. And a quantum leap is really so small that you cannot imagine it. This is something that happens within an atom.

I have studied a little quantum theory, and although I know people mean something else when they are talking about quantum leaps, it sounds very strange when it is actually the smallest energy there is.

Quantum of the Seas is a great name though :)

A quantum is really small. And a quantum leap is really so small that you cannot imagine it. This is something that happens within an atom.

I have studied a little quantum theory, and although I know people mean something else when they are talking about quantum leaps, it sounds very strange when it is actually the smallest energy there is.

Quantum of the Seas is a great name though :)

Maybe Scott Bakula can be the godfather:D

Of course;) Since a photon is a single quantum of light, and sunshine contains an infinite number of photons, Quantum can also be viewed as the infinite power of the sun:cool:

Disbelievers can walk the Max Planck:D

Archived