Sunshine announcement

Kcjarvis

Sorry, didn't realise links wouldn't work. From the blog website:

Royal Caribbean has announced its new class of ships that has been referred to internally as Project Sunshine, will officially be called Quantum Class. Additionally, the first two ships will be named Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas.

Quantum of the Seas will debut in 2014 and Anthem of the Seas will be ready in 2015.

According to Adam Goldstein, president and CEO of Royal Caribbean International, the new ship will be a breakthrough in design and guest experience onboard. "We are very excited about this important milestone of the official launch of Project Sunshine. After three years of advanced planning this is the first step in the construction of the Quantum of the Seas and I am anxious to see its emergence in the coming months," he said.

That's the announcement. I was expecting a little more than names. Like many we have done the Oasis and Allure Inag cruise and can't wait for this one.

Adam we need DETAILS !!:eek::eek:

"Royal Caribbean has announced the names of its new class of ships that now officially be called Quantum Class. The first two ships will be named Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas.

Quantum of the Seas will be complete in 2014 and Anthem of the seas will follow in 2015"

Does anyone know how many RCCL plans to build?

Whoa! I'm not really crazy about the name Quantum. I do like Anthem. Guess I'd better hit the dictionary and see what quantum actually means.

I guess RCI chose to drop the word Sunshine when Carnival beat them to the punch and renamed Destiny to Sunshine for after its pending massive renovation and re-imagination.

QUANTUM

Noun

1. A discrete quantity of energy proportional in magnitude to the frequency of radiation it represents.

2. An analogous discrete amount of any other physical quantity such as momentum of electric charge.

OK, now I know--I guess.

I have no idea how they can afford the one's they are building. For a change the US is supporting the line rather than Europe. Maybe they will put this one in Europe and see what kind of interest it can generate. :eek:

Thats what I thought... But in the Press release it says: "the first two" meaning there will be more than two.

Maybe they are hoping these are so popular that they will build a bunch. I believe the contract was only for 2.

I guess RCI chose to drop the word Sunshine when Carnival beat them to the punch and renamed Destiny to Sunshine for after its pending massive renovation and re-imagination.

Not necessarily. The Project name has never been the name of the first ship of that class. In fact, Vision Class is the only class to actually name a ship after the Project....and even then, it was the last ship.

Maybe they are hoping these are so popular that they will build a bunch. I believe the contract was only for 2.

It is usually more cost effective to build multiple units of a single class, not just one or two. Economies of scale. I would be quite surprised if only two of these ships are built. Look at the Solstice Class of Celebrity as an example. I can't remember if the Voyager Class started out as an order for two or three ships, but of course we have five with the final two being slightly modified.

We may even see a modified version built for Celebrity, similar to what we have with the Radiance Class and Millennium Class.

Ernie

Whoa! I'm not really crazy about the name Quantum. I do like Anthem. Guess I'd better hit the dictionary and see what quantum actually means.

Not really, Project Eagle became Voyager Class, Project Ultra Voyager, became Freedom Class and Project Genesis became Oasis Class, so Project Sunshine not becoming Sunshine class was expected

From twitter

ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL MARKS FIRST MAJOR MILESTONE OF PROJECT SUNSHINE CONSTRUCTION

World's Most Innovative Cruise Line Celebrates Steel Cutting and Reveals Names of Newest Ships

MIAMI, February 5, 2013 – Royal Caribbean International took a major step this week in the development of the cruise line’s next generation of cruise ships when the first piece of steel was cut for the first of two Project Sunshine ships. The steel cutting took place at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany, where the two ships will be built.

To celebrate the milestone, Royal Caribbean announced the names of the two new ships – Quantum of the Seas, set to debut in fall 2014, and Anthem of the Seas, which will follow in spring 2015. They will be part of the Quantum class of ships and will build upon Royal Caribbean’s legacy of revolutionary ship design and bold innovation.

“We are extremely excited to celebrate this important milestone for our first Project Sunshine ship. After three years of design and advance planning this is the first step of the construction of the ship and I look forward to seeing it all come together in the coming months,” said Adam Goldstein, President and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “The new ship will be such a leap forward in terms of vessel design and guest experiences that we thought the name Quantum of the Seas was perfectly appropriate.”

Royal Caribbean International’s legacy is built on introducing ‘at sea firsts’ such as rock-climbing walls, ice-skating rinks, surf simulators, zip lines and even a tropical park with over 12,000 live plants. The Quantum class of ships will continue to build on this legacy with unprecedented experiences and amenities. They will once again deliver on Royal Caribbean’s tradition of designing for ‘WOW’.

“Throughout our history we have made huge strides in cruise ship design and innovation and the Quantum class will be no exception,” said Richard D. Fain, Chairman and CEO, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. “We look forward to introducing consumers to Quantum cruising."

I am hoping Port Canaveral picks up a third RCI ship. Carnival is now running three ships

out of our port and "the mouse" has two.

Big beautiful RCI terminal sits empty on Saturdays.

Maybe it won't be the Sunshine series, but perhaps one ship that is

replaced by the new one? One can only hope. :)

Port Canaveral would be very nice. Its a long drive from Atlanta, but it is still drivable.

Archived