Sunshine announcement

Kcjarvis

Love the name Quantum of the Seas :D not so sure about Anthem...but it is growing on me :)

Was not here for the announcement, is there a link to that so I can hear/read it? Quantum and Anthem are at last not names used by other Cruise lines. I am so tired of the other companies using RCL names - ie Jewel etc.

Take care...

Irene & Miles

For what it is worth - During a conversation LAST YEAR, I was told by an officer that there is a good likelihood that Sunshine class would sail from Port Canaveral. The officer did not know if it was in addition to or replacement of the ships currently sailing from there.

I am told Port Canaveral cannot accept the Oasis class as there is not enough room to turn the ship around.

Time will tell!

M

Was not here for the announcement, is there a link to that so I can hear/read it? Quantum and Anthem are at last not names used by other Cruise lines. I am so tired of the other companies using RCL names - ie Jewel etc.

Take care...

Irene & Miles

Here is the link on CC to the news -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1782994

I just got home a wee while ago so missed the actual announcement.

Take care...

Irene & Miles

The video is up on RCL's website:)

Hate the name "Quantum" for the class and the ships. The other names were much better:

Sovereign - the head of state - someone who has authority and respect like the cruisers will have

Vision - to see ahead, or to have a spiritual experience..."a lovely vision," "a vision of perfection."

Radiance - to shine or glow with light... "the bride was radiant."

Voyager - to travel and explore

Freedom - to have liberty

Oasis - a cool spring in the middle of a hot desert, a place that provides refuge and safety

All of those are regal, soaring concepts. Now we add:

Quantum - the smallest subdivision of a particle.

Not too sexy. And of course a quantum leap is going from one place to another without passing through the intervening distance. Is that the image they're really going for?

I agree with you. Quantum isn't a pretty word nor does it flow off the tongue as it should. I told DH and he rolled his eyes and said "people are going to say I'm going on the Quantum."? as we all tend to drop the of the seas off the name in everyday discussion. It just sounds silly. Anthem has a nice ring to it in my opinion.

They still have time to change the name and I wish they would.

Maybe it's a guy name. But I thought ships were shes.

Gina

Take care...

Irene & Miles

I'd guess someone will use Anthem soon. But there's not a chance anyone else will use Quantum. :rolleyes:

gina

Keeping my fingers crossed for one of the new ships will be in Bayonne, NJ. Love, love, love the Explorer of the Seas but definitely need a change in our home state. Fall 2014!!!:D

I hope it's Bayonne too.

A quantum is really small. And a quantum leap is really so small that you cannot imagine it. This is something that happens within an atom.

I have studied a little quantum theory, and although I know people mean something else when they are talking about quantum leaps, it sounds very strange when it is actually the smallest energy there is.

Quantum of the Seas is a great name though :)

The point about a quantum leap is not the size, but that you move from one discrete level of energy to another, so it is an abrupt change. That's why in popular usage it has come to mean something that is more revolutionary than evolutionary.

But everyone seems to be missing the REAL point. The word is derived from quantus, Latin for 'how much'. Because that's what we are all going to be asking when we see the pricing :D

...But everyone seems to be missing the REAL point. The word is derived from quantus, Latin for 'how much'. Because that's what we are all going to be asking when we see the pricing :D

And "ANTHEM" because you will need to see if your insurance will pay for the concussion you got when you fainted as soon as you saw the pricing! :rolleyes:

Eric

It will look more like Norwegian :D

Ewwww!

In keeping with the James Bond theme, I think I will just call this ship Q of the Seas ... much easier to pronounce. And I can't wait to see all of the misspellings & typos there will be on CC ... I'm a pretty good speller but I'd really have to think carefully about these names!

I am also reminded of James Bond....and if Daniel Craig is on the inaugural...I am SOOOOOO in!:p

And as I've been reading these posts, I think of the TV show Quantum Leap. I keep thinking of Scott Bakula (I would much rather imagine Daniel Craig)!

Though maybe this is a good thing if it's like the show... You get on the ship, but you never get off.

It appears that Royal Caribbean is trying to ramp up anticipation without providing even a hint of the product. No idea if it's bigger, smaller, or the same size as Oasis class. No idea if the signature Viking Crown Lounge is present. I'm underwhelmed. Well I do like the new names.

I remember reading a lot of speculation last year that the Project Sunshine ships would start out in Europe. Although, if Quantum will be launched in the fall of 2014, it would make sense to bring it to the US first, since they usually redeploy the Europe ships back to the US in the fall. We're planning to cruise Europe in the summer of 2015, so it would be lovely if we could do it on one of the new ships. Can't wait to hear more details!

It appears that Royal Caribbean is trying to ramp up anticipation without providing even a hint of the product. No idea if it's bigger, smaller, or the same size as Oasis class. No idea if the signature Viking Crown Lounge is present. I'm underwhelmed. Well I do like the new names.

They have already said that Sunshine will be around 160000 GRT, so about the same size as Freedom class.

Quantum of the Seas...hmmm.

Has a bit of a "James Bond 007" type sound to it. Wonder whether it'll have its own theme music. I can hear it all now...:cool:

Whatever the case, I'll be waiting to book it!

We're planniing to book as well ... but we'll call it Q of the Seas ... easier to say (and spell!) and still keeps to the Bond theme!

I agree, but am not sure our port is deep enough for the Oasis? And would probably need

a much bigger parking area (though many are not parking there any longer due to

the change in pricing).

Plans already approved for dredging and widening of the channel, just need the money which will be forthcoming

A quantum is really small. And a quantum leap is really so small that you cannot imagine it. This is something that happens within an atom.

I have studied a little quantum theory, and although I know people mean something else when they are talking about quantum leaps, it sounds very strange when it is actually the smallest energy there is.

Quantum of the Seas is a great name though :)

I know you know what they mean, but as Cotswold Eagle points out, the term originated in physics as a description of a change from one energy state to another. However, as a popular idiom, it has come to mean a "great, sudden, or discontinuous change." So what the RCI folks are saying is that the Quantums (OK Carol what is the plural of Quantum Quanta?) will be dramatically and radically different. We'll see.

Ewwww!

In keeping with the James Bond theme, I think I will just call this ship Q of the Seas ... much easier to pronounce. And I can't wait to see all of the misspellings & typos there will be on CC ... I'm a pretty good speller but I'd really have to think carefully about these names!

The Q - good idea. They can send if to Australia and spell it Qantum of the Seas - likd Qantas, the Aussie airline.

Archived