Sunshine announcement

Kcjarvis

We had heard that one of the Royal Caribbean ships would be sailing in the Asian market. Somewhere also heard that one of the newer ones would be built in Korea... probalby just a rumor but it is said that the Asian market is getting bigger and I can attest to that. Most of our recent cruises had a lot of Asian passengers aboard.

Time will tell where Royal Caribbean is going with all the new builds being thought of. We also see that RCI stock is now giving a $0.12 dividend again, making owning stock on our favorite cruse line possible. I presonally would love to have a newer ship in Jacksonville Florida since my daughter and grandsons live nearby.

Take care...

Irene and Miles

"THE SEA IS CALLING" :)

None of Royal Caribbean's new builds will be built in Korea. Quantum and Anthem being built in Germany and the next Oasis ship is being built in France. I have not heard of any rumors of any Royal Caribbean ships to be built in Korea.

I was headed to ameila island and passed the port. I saw I think a carnival ship in port. The water ways don't look too friendly to an oasis class

You would be correct. One of Carnival's smaller ships operates form Jacksonville. To get to Jacksonville's cruise terminal the ships have to navigate a narrow twisting river and pass under a bridge with a low vertical clearance.

You would be correct. One of Carnival's smaller ships operates form Jacksonville. To get to Jacksonville's cruise terminal the ships have to navigate a narrow twisting river and pass under a bridge with a low vertical clearance.

Ya it looked like an interesting pass. The naval base was a beautiful sight.

Is there a reason why none of the new ships are being built in Finland?

Yes, at least for the 3rd Oasis class ship:

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/news/2012/12/21/finland-backs-stx-shipyard-to-build.html?page=all

and then....

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/news/2012/12/27/royal-caribbean-orders-third.html?page=all

Very shortsighted on the part of the Finnish Government. RCCL is going nowhere, the loan would pay for itself. Here in NJ we have had the same problem, shortsightedness in regards to a rail tunnel we desperately need. It happens all the time. STX France will do a fine job building the new ships.

Very shortsighted on the part of the Finnish Government. RCCL is going nowhere, the loan would pay for itself. Here in NJ we have had the same problem, shortsightedness in regards to a rail tunnel we desperately need. It happens all the time. STX France will do a fine job building the new ships.

The Finnish government wasn't concerned about Royal Caribbean's financial viability. Apparently there was a concern about the financial status of STX and they didn't want to give the loan to a company in financial crisis. With the loss of this order there is a real danger now that the Turku cruise ship yard is going to be completely shut down.

That would be a big mess for Finland. In the end, correct me if I am wrong, but STX wins either way? Whether they build it in Finland, or France, STX wins, its all the same company no? I wish someone here in the US, a ship building company would start a cruise ship building company here to compete. I say we can compete, and build great ships here. I know I am dreaming, but I would like to see it.

I sure hope the Quantum does a caribbean route. I know that alot of you really like the Oasis class ships, but for me I have been on most of rccl ships and to think that oasis class would be the only choice for the caribean would be terrible!!! The freedom class is getting a little old also, need something different to look forward to.

That would be a big mess for Finland. In the end, correct me if I am wrong, but STX wins either way? Whether they build it in Finland, or France, STX wins, its all the same company no?

The French government owns 1/3 of STX France. Could be why the French were more willing to offer higher incentives with more risk than Finland was willing to offer.

The French government owns 1/3 of STX France. Could be why the French were more willing to offer higher incentives with more risk than Finland was willing to offer.

Interesting info, I don't know much about this, but it is interesting. Either way we are getting some nice, big ships from RCCL coming up. A few from Germany, and a few from France. The passenger wins either way.

Crazy.

I am currently booked on the Royal Princess Caribbean Inaugural (she has some time in Europe before coming here), Anyway, it was normal prices which shocked me. I figured it would be a lot more expensive. I would love to do inaugural for Sunshine, but not at $261 a day for an inside. I have only gone below balcony twice, and that was on small ship sailing.

We are on the Royal on November 3, the first 7 night. Which one are you on?

......John

We had heard that one of the Royal Caribbean ships would be sailing in the Asian market. Somewhere also heard that one of the newer ones would be built in Korea... probalby just a rumor but it is said that the Asian market is getting bigger and I can attest to that. Most of our recent cruises had a lot of Asian passengers aboard.

Time will tell where Royal Caribbean is going with all the new builds being thought of. We also see that RCI stock is now giving a $0.12 dividend again, making owning stock on our favorite cruse line possible. I presonally would love to have a newer ship in Jacksonville Florida since my daughter and grandsons live nearby.

Take care...

Irene and Miles

"THE SEA IS CALLING" :)

Last year, before the Monarch was transferred to Pullmantur, there were widespread rumors that RCL had sold a Soverign class ship to the Korean cruise company "allthatcruise". The allthatcruise website even had (and still has) a slideshow that clearly shows a Soverign class ship. I believe that allthatcruise ultimately settled for doing a lease of one of the old Pullmantur ships instead. They may ultimately still be negotiating for the Majesty when she leaves the fleet next year, since they still have the slideshow up on their website

Thanks. I had just never seen that port, so I didn't know. Good info.

Last year, before the Monarch was transferred to Pullmantur, there were widespread rumors that RCL had sold a Soverign class ship to the Korean cruise company "allthatcruise". The allthatcruise website even had (and still has) a slideshow that clearly shows a Soverign class ship. I believe that allthatcruise ultimately settled for doing a lease of one of the old Pullmantur ships instead. They may ultimately still be negotiating for the Majesty when she leaves the fleet next year, since they still have the slideshow up on their website

On the 2nd picture in the slide show, the ships name above the pool looks like Majesty.

RCI doesn't do Jacksonville and I've never seen the port there. Could it handle a regular ship and have one of the Quantum ships replace that ship's current route?

Jacksonville can barely handle Carnival's 70,000 ton Fascination. Many times, the ship is delayed (inbound and outbound) because of high tide.

In addition, the cruise terminal is a temporary, warehouse like, facility which was built while a permanent location was chosen. This temporary terminal is in a bad location since ships need to go under a bridge and power lines. Plans to build a new terminal east of these obstacles have been met with a lot of resistance and opposition from rabidly angry residents of the Mayport area (one of the proposes locations for the new terminal).

In the meantime, I seriously doubt that Royal Caribbean will call Jacksonville home any time soon unless they plan to send one of their older smaller ships there, definitely NOT Quantum...

In the meantime, I seriously doubt that Royal Caribbean will call Jacksonville home any time soon unless they plan to send one of their older smaller ships there, definitely NOT Quantum...

Yes, that was my comment. An older ship going to a new port and the new ships replacing them at a current port. As it currently stands, there are ships coming online faster than going offline, so the fleet is expanding. The info about the port was appreciated, but I wasn't expecting Quantum to go there, just fleet displacement because of Quantum.

Since 2003, only Empress & Sovereign have gone offline. Serenade, Jewel, Mariner, Freedom, Liberty, Indy, Oasis, and Allure have come online.

Announced, only Monarch is going offline. Everyone knows that Majesty will following, but I still haven't seen this officially announced, so two more ships going offline. We have Quantum, Anthem, Oasis III, and the options for 2 more Quantum-class ships between now and 2018.

Assuming the Asian market gets some love, that still probably means that the Caribbean will get a little more as the #1 cruising location in the world.

Barely related, but did I miss a definite announcement of Majesty leaving the fleet? I guess it is logical, but I hadn't heard a specific announcement.

You're correct, no specific announcement about Majesty yet.

Everyone knows that Majesty will following, but I still haven't seen this officially announced, so

Barely related, but did I miss a definite announcement of Majesty leaving the fleet? I guess it is logical, but I hadn't heard a specific announcement.

I haven't.

Archived