Carnival Glory Review-Eastern Caribbean Jan 27-Feb 3

Ciardasully

Thank you for posting this review! Congrats on getting married! My wife and I sailing this very same ship and itinerary this coming weekend (2/10/13) to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and your review has us in even greater anticipation!

I subbed. :)

You must be getting so excited. Just think...at this time next week, you will be in St. Thomas!

Congratulations to you and your wife on your anniversary!

Bryon and I went to Old Harbor Brewery for lunch. We were meeting a friend of mine named Becky that I had not seen since high school. She was an "exchange student" to Maine from Puerto Rico. I was so excited to be seeing her.

HoneymoonCruise593.jpg

Bryon and split an order of sausage croquets. They were delicious.

HoneymoonCruise597.jpg

Later I had some pork appetizer that I forgot to get a picture of and I can't remember what Bryon had.

I had the Stout beer while Bryon tried almost all the beer. Becky met us at lunch time and we got to catch up.

After lunch, we got some snow cones and walked some more around San Juan. We walked by the governors mansion.

HoneymoonCruise601.jpg

This was an old hospital next to the Governor's Mansion.

HoneymoonCruise603.jpg

HoneymoonCruise604.jpg

HoneymoonCruise611.jpg

HoneymoonCruise613.jpg

Sadly, it started to rain so we decided to go back on the ship. So I had to say good-bye to Becky. I hope I see her soon.

HoneymoonCruise617.jpg

Lots of people decided to head back to the ship because it started raining though the rain didn't really amount to much. Bryon and I had already made up our mind to go back to the ship. We were tired and probably cranky. We were docked next to a Holland America ship.

HoneymoonCruise622.jpg

Edited by Ciardasully

I needed to take a photo of the napkin candle because it reminded me of this

(2:20, don't watch if strong language offends you). If you don't want to watch a video, it's of someone who attends a napkin folding demonstration on another cruise line.

HoneymoonCruise626.jpg

Our waiters said that they had missed us the previous evening since we were at the steakhouse. I had missed them too but the steak was worth it.

For starters, Bryon and I had the lasagna bolognese. It was good except we had to pick the olives out because neither of us like olives.

HoneymoonCruise627.jpg

Bryon also got the Oysters Rockefeller.

HoneymoonCruise628.jpg

For our main courses, Bryon had the Petit Filet Mignon and Braised Boneless Short Rib.

HoneymoonCruise629.jpg

I had the Roasted Turkey.

HoneymoonCruise630.jpg

For dessert I had the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (I know, big surprise) and Bryon had the apple pie.

HoneymoonCruise631.jpg

Edited by Ciardasully

In addition to our desserts, we had ordered the cheese plate.

HoneymoonCruise632.jpg

Our bartender brought us our evening drinks Chocolate Martini (me) and Scotch for Bryon. I did ask Michael to put it in a non-martini glass because I didn't want my beverage to slosh around when walking.

HoneymoonCruise633.jpg

Our waiters sang some Gangnam Style.

HoneymoonCruise634.jpg

HoneymoonCruise638.jpg

After dinner, Bryon and I went to the Silly Law Trivia in the Cinna-Bar. Here are two really poor quality photos.

HoneymoonCruise641.jpg

HoneymoonCruise642.jpg

Sadly we did not win this competition, though were close. The problem I think is that attorney always things logically and these laws weren't logical. But it was still fun.

Edited by Ciardasully

After Silly Law Trivia, Bryon wanted to try out Superstar Live. Superstar Live is fun to watch. It is basically karaoke but with a band. This band was The Innuendos. The song selection was limited since the band had to perform them and when selecting a song, you pick two choices. Bryon really wanted to do "You Lost That Loving Feeling" (not sure how I feel about that on my honeymoon) and he had put "867-5309" (or is the name actually "Jenny"?) as his second choice but the karaoke coordinator really wanted him to sing "867-5309" so Bryon obliged.

Here are some pics of his performance.

HoneymoonCruise648.jpg

HoneymoonCruise652.jpg

HoneymoonCruise653.jpg

"I'm with the band."

HoneymoonCruise656.jpg

There were actually lots of talented people in our crowd with the exception of some drunk chicks. They were awful. I can't remember what they sang so I must have blocked them out. There was a gentleman from Canada who sang one of my favorites "Sweet Caroline."

The funniest was these three guys who had signed their Dad's up for a prank but ended up singing instead. I guess "Girls Just Want To Have Fun."

HoneymoonCruise659.jpg

We had stopped back at our stateroom and here is our towel animal.

HoneymoonCruise660.jpg

Then we made our way back to the Amber Palace for the Divas show.

HoneymoonCruise661.jpg

There was no flash photography during the show (again, I am a rule follower) but here are some pics from before the show of the diva contest. The winner would end up getting a makeover during the show and would come out at the end of the show.

This was the presentation.

HoneymoonCruise663.jpg

This was the contest. I am sure you can guess who won.

HoneymoonCruise665.jpg

The guys then had to walk the cat walk. Our cruise director, Josh "Big Sexy" demonstrated.

HoneymoonCruise668.jpg

Bryon and I really enjoyed the show!

HoneymoonCruise474.jpg

Just for the record.... I stopped over at the yacht club and this boat belong to Prince William and is parked here for about 6 months per year with this staff aboard.

They also pointed out a boat owned by Bill Gates as well that was in port. I forgot which one...

Edited by kstewart22

Just for the record.... I stopped over at the yacht club and this boat belong to Prince William and is parked here for about 6 months per year with this staff aboard.

They also pointed out a boat owned by Bill Gates as well that was in port. I forgot which one...

I heard about Bill Gates having a boat on the island but I did not know about Prince William! I am glad I took this picture (and that you told me that it was his boat) because I love Prince William!

Did Yall go to paridase point own your own or throught the ship? Looks like a good time. If you did it own your own can you give some details. Thanks and also a great review .

Yes to both. We purchased the tickets through the ship, but there is no organized trip there. You go on your own. The place to catch the skyride is right outside Havensight (The mall that is outside the port you have to walk through). The tickets through the ship are $19.99 but if you buy them at the skyride, they are $21.50. So you save money by buying them to the ship. I also heard that the ship will buy them back from you if you do not use them.

It is super easy to get there, you can see it from anywhere once you get off the ship. Once you are there you just exchange the Excursion ticket for a wrist band and you are all set. You can ride the skyride all day with it.

You Sure look like you had a lot of fun on your cruise . It is a lot more fun when you get involved in a lot of activitys on board.. I have really enjoyed your review and loved all of your pictures . Thanks again

Thank you! I am glad you are enjoying the review!

this is a great review. I am going on this same itinerary in 2 weeks, so a great preview for me. I have been to all these ports before, but you have put in some new places for me to visit as well.

I saw you got the Cheers program, did you guys like it?

this is a great review. I am going on this same itinerary in 2 weeks, so a great preview for me. I have been to all these ports before, but you have put in some new places for me to visit as well.

I saw you got the Cheers program, did you guys like it?

Thank you! You must be so excited. It was such a good time.

We liked the Cheers program. We both drink so we liked not having a surprise bar bill at the end the of cruise (this was our first cruise and we had heard horror stories.) Bryon crunched the numbers and he said that we did save money.

On Day 6 we had an 11 am arrival at Grand Turk and we had breakfast in the Golden Restaurant. We were seated at a 2 person table but we were awfully close to another two person table where the couple didn't say a word to each other. It was odd but whatever.

We went back to our room and watched Grand Turk approach. I was greatly impressed with Grand Turk. The island is beautiful (the word does not do it justice) so I took a lot of photos. I wasn't sure what to expect but I was not disappointed.

HoneymoonCruise680.jpg

HoneymoonCruise681.jpg

Abandoned boat

HoneymoonCruise682.jpg

HoneymoonCruise689.jpg

HoneymoonCruise692.jpg

HoneymoonCruise693.jpg

Getting off the ship was crazy!

HoneymoonCruise694.jpg

After we got off the ship, we walked to the Cruise Complex. On the way, we asked a local where the port office was so we could get our passports stamped (I told you we were nerds.) The man told us to ask the people of which we were renting our golf cart from.

One really nice thing about Grand Turk is that vendors don't harass you.

We stopped to buy a beach bag because our Carnival Towels, bathing suits, etc were barely wedged into my handbag. Best $12 spent.

Then we walked out of the Cruise Complex and found our gold carts. We had rented ours from Nathan's Golf Cart, Jeep and Scooter Rental for $80. They tried to get us to take a Jeep for the same price as a golf cart but for some strange reason, we thought we'd be safer in a golf cart. I don't know what we were thinking. We were just told that we needed to replace the gas we used or it would be $20 and that they drive on the left side of the road. We were also told if anything happened, to call them and they would get us. Oh boy!

We also asked about getting our passports stamped and the women pretty much told us to go downtown and ask there.

HoneymoonCruise699.jpg

And away we go!

HoneymoonCruise702.jpg

Bryon did the driving and I was content to let him drive. Luckily the island isn't very populated. Bryon didn't have an issue with the whole driving on the opposite side of the road but even as a passenger, I was disoriented.

HoneymoonCruise703.jpg

HoneymoonCruise704.jpg

We later learned that this building is where you get your passports stamped. We were told by locals that they are "always changing" the location of immigration. The complex is called Three Degrees and when you are facing the buildings, it's the one of the right.

HoneymoonCruise714.jpg

Cruising into Cockburn Town (The capital of Turks and Caicos) I began to notice how poor the island is. But don't let that scare you. The locals are so nice. I think they are grateful you are spending money there.

Also an interesting observation (of which I did not get a pic) was that there were a lot of cars with "NO VAT" stickers. Turks and Caicos is a British Territory but has no sales tax.

HoneymoonCruise721.jpg

HoneymoonCruise726.jpg

HoneymoonCruise728.jpg

HoneymoonCruise729.jpg

HoneymoonCruise730.jpg

HoneymoonCruise732.jpg

There were lots of stray dogs in Grand Turk which makes me sad. But again, it's not like I could have brought them back on the ship with me.

HoneymoonCruise735.jpg

Another thing wandering around Grand Turk were the wild donkeys. Consequently there were lots of piles of donkey dung. Many of the rich houses had gates to keep them off their property.

HoneymoonCruise741.jpg

Rusted boat.

HoneymoonCruise755.jpg

Sooooo....we get to the end of the pavement and I tell my husband that going down a dirt road in a golf cart is a bad idea. Did he listen to me?

HoneymoonCruise758.jpg

No. So we are off-roading in a gold cart. Then someone comes from behind, honking their horn. I think someone is trying to run us off the road but it turns out it is our friends!

HoneymoonCruise759.jpg

We offered to let them pass but they stayed behind us for awhile. That did make me feel better.

HoneymoonCruise762.jpg

I'll remember this the next time I complain about gas prices. Oh and believe it or not, the US dollar is the official currency of Turks and Caicos.

HoneymoonCruise787.jpg

More donkeys.

HoneymoonCruise789.jpg

You can go to college in paradise!

HoneymoonCruise791.jpg

And we finally made it to the lighthouse!

HoneymoonCruise793.jpg

HoneymoonCruise795.jpg

HoneymoonCruise796.jpg

This next picture was inadvertent. I was trying to get a picture of the donkey (because I had only taken 56 of them already) and it just didn't come out. But if you didn't believe me about the piles of dung...here you go.

HoneymoonCruise810.jpg

And that was a small one. Now, I am not going to sugar coat it. Grand Turk is a poor place and there was lots of dung and there were piles of trash in places. But even despite that, the place is beautiful. I am really intrigued to see how the place will grow. There is lots of character and the people are warm and friendly. There were lots of posters around the island stating "Tourism is key."

HoneymoonCruise820.jpg

We were looking for a local lunch and had pulled into a parking lot so Bryon could look at the crappy map we had. A man came out and asked us if he could help us find anything and we said we were looking for lunch. He told us where several places where.

We wound up at this place.

HoneymoonCruise824.jpg

We ordered drinks and ordered food but the girls working said that they needed something to arrive and it would be a few minutes. I pointed out to Bryon that the New York version of a minute and a Grand Turk version of a minute were probably different. We realized we were low on cash and they didn't take cards so we decided to head to Jack's Rum Shack. Luckily the two men working at this place were finally able to tell us where to get our passports stamped. BTW, another cruiser went to the airport and got hers stamped as well.

HoneymoonCruise886.jpg