Norwegian Gem Extended Hurricane Sandy Cruise Review with Photos!

YankeeFan4Ever

Such an awesome review. It was really neat to see how you guys made the best out of it...I'm sure some people didn't, lol.

I think it's pretty awesome that you reinstated the tips, hopefully others did also.

Also, if you have a smartphone NY waterways has an app where you can buy ferry tickets and just show your phone. :-D We love it.

Thanks for the info, we'll definitely try it next time we take the ferry to the city! :)

• 3 months later...
Report Card

Embarkation: B+

We arrived at the pier around noon and onboard by 12:45. Smooth and efficient.

Cabin: B

We booked a midship interior cabin on deck 9. Although small, it was clean and comfortable.

Ship: A+

What can I say? We LOVE the Gem! She’s just the right size with great facilities and a terrific crew. It never felt crowded and the décor is modern and tasteful.

Crew: A++

In my opinion, the best crew at sea. Kudos to the entire hotel and restaurant staff, Cruise Director Sinan and Captain Roger Gustavsen. They took excellent care of us during our extended cruise in less than favorable conditions.

Food: A

Breakfast: We typically ate a light breakfast in the buffet or the Grand Pacific dining room and found the variety of items offered were good and the ingredients fresh.

Lunch: For lunch we’d usually grab a salad and/or sandwich combo from the buffet. It was always great!

Dinner: Since my wife has a special dietary requirement (no gluten or dairy) we found it easier to stick with dinner at the Grand Pacific restaurant. We never experienced a wait for a table of 2 and the food quality/variety was great. They even assigned a special waiter named Kent Torrino to make sure her dietary needs were met and he took excellent care of us each night. Since nearly every desert contains either gluten and/or dairy, he would go to the extra trouble of having the chef prepare her special deserts using coconut milk and tapioca flour, just for her! At the end of the trip I gave him an envelope with $30 for his superior service.

Drinks: B

Bar service was consistently very good however I’m a tequila drinker and I found the prices for the higher end stuff was a little high. Also, my wife thought their strawberry daiquiris could’ve been better. However, our morning coffees in the Java Cafe were superb!

Entertainment: A+

We were never bored on the Norwegian Gem! From shows in the main theatre to comedy and live music, there always seemed to be something to do. The Amar jazz orchestra was enjoyable and Jay Chalmers on piano was terrific. They also had a great reggae band called Groove International.

Ports: A

San Juan: We walked around and explored on our own. Went to Barrachina’s to enjoy their world famous Pina Colada!

St-Maarten: Beautiful Island! We grabbed a taxi to Mullet Bay beach and spent the day sunning and swimming.

St-Thomas: We spent the day at Emerald beach. Although a nice beach, next time we’ll head to Sapphire or Coki.

Samana: Unfortunately we missed this port due to Hurricane Sandy. If we ever return, we plan to head over to Cayo Levantado for a relaxing beach day.

Disembarkation B+

Great under the circumstances, although we did have to wait in line for quite awhile to get off the ship.

Well folks, that’s it for me.

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to read about our little adventure aboard the Norwegian Gem. Also, thanks to everyone who posted comments, my wife and I truly appreciate the kind words. :)

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions that you may think of. I’ll do my best to answer them.

Up next for us is an 8 day cruise aboard the Carnival Splendor, sailing from New York City to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau; an itinerary that we’ve sailed three previous times aboard the Carnival Miracle, followed by our first cruise to Bermuda aboard the brand new Norwegian Breakaway! Life is good!

Until then, safe travels everyone! I leave you with one of my favorite quotes:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Wow..fantastic review, pity I only just found it. My daughter Louise, was cruise directors staff on the Gem during Sandy. Maybe you met her! She didn't tell me half of that. But I was watching from Australia & following NCL's facebook page. (And all the whingers who were missing the next cruise, wanting to know what compensation they would get!!!!!!) I knew she was in safe hands. Captains on NCL are the best. But so relieved when they went to Boston!! Will bookmark your review to show her too.

Wow..fantastic review, pity I only just found it. My daughter Louise, was cruise directors staff on the Gem during Sandy. Maybe you met her! She didn't tell me half of that. But I was watching from Australia & following NCL's facebook page. (And all the whingers who were missing the next cruise, wanting to know what compensation they would get!!!!!!) I knew she was in safe hands. Captains on NCL are the best. But so relieved when they went to Boston!! Will bookmark your review to show her too.

Thank you!

Although I don't recall meeting her in person, it bears repeating that the entire staff of the Gem did a fantastic job! Kudos to her! :)

Great review and pictures (you and your wife are so cute!!). Anyway I am taking this same cruise with my husband and kids in a few months. Your pictures of the ship and ports made me even more excited!

Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed the review, have a great cruise! :)

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

• 10 months later...

Just read the entire report - great reading and pictures! Doing the New England/Canada Gem cruise next month and was happy to read about your positive reviews of the ship and crew. This is the first NCL cruise for me.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Great review, loved that 13 day cruise, you caught the true spirit of the last 7 days. Other humorous events included a woman from the Gem calling Fox News to say she was very concerned, afraid we would run out of food. Later the Captain came on the PA to remind do everyone that you should believe everything you hear on Fox News. The comedian that evening of the roughest seas did a roll across the stage in the middle of his show, it looked real. The rock band on the upper deck was canceled,deemed too dangerous, would have looked like unintentional slam dancing. We were in a deck 4 outside cabin, saw waves washing up over the ship.

Great review, loved that 13 day cruise, you caught the true spirit of the last 7 days. Other humorous events included a woman from the Gem calling Fox News to say she was very concerned, afraid we would run out of food. Later the Captain came on the PA to remind do everyone that you should believe everything you hear on Fox News. The comedian that evening of the roughest seas did a roll across the stage in the middle of his show, it looked real. The rock band on the upper deck was canceled,deemed too dangerous, would have looked like unintentional slam dancing. We were in a deck 4 outside cabin, saw waves washing up over the ship.

Glad you enjoyed the review! I think I remember the that particular announcement from the Captain!

• 1 month later...

Hey there I've enjoyed reading your reviews! I have cruised Royal a bunch of times, Carnival and even Holland America. I'm debating trying out the gem out of NYC the beginning of April. My new husband has never cruised but my daughter (8) has done 3 or 4 :-)

I see you are planning to do April also. How do you think it ranks over royal? Any tips or tricks for this one/ I was hoping to grab the 3rd passenger free deal but it doesn't seem to be available for this departure :-/

• 1 month later...
Hey there I've enjoyed reading your reviews! I have cruised Royal a bunch of times, Carnival and even Holland America. I'm debating trying out the gem out of NYC the beginning of April. My new husband has never cruised but my daughter (8) has done 3 or 4 :-)

I see you are planning to do April also. How do you think it ranks over royal? Any tips or tricks for this one/ I was hoping to grab the 3rd passenger free deal but it doesn't seem to be available for this departure :-/

Hi, glad you enjoyed the review!

My wife and I have not yet sailed with Royal Caribbean. We do love the Gem though, this upcoming cruise in April will be our fifth time on her! :D