Norwegian Gem Extended Hurricane Sandy Cruise Review with Photos!

YankeeFan4Ever

November 2nd

I woke up early to watch us pull into the New York Harbor and what I saw when I ventured outside on the promenade deck seemed unreal. Half the city was dark. Unfortunately I didn’t have my camera with me so I couldn’t take photos. A few minutes later, we pulled into pier 88 just as the sun was coming up.

I went back to our room to wake up my wife and we headed up to the buffet for our final breakfast. It was announced that everyone had to do self-assist debarkation and we’d be called according to our decks once the vessel was cleared by US Customs and Immigration.

Our deck was called around 10:00 AM and we proceeded off the Gem and through Customs without incident.

My wife and I then walked a dozen blocks (dragging our luggage behind us) towards the NY Waterways ferry terminal on 39th Street to catch a Ferry back to my dad’s place in New Jersey. I lined up to purchase my ticket but I was out of American cash. I figured I could pay on my Amex or my MasterCard, however the terminal was still without power and their credit/debit machines were out of order. I had a Canadian $20 bill but the lady behind the counter refused to accept it, even though I tried explaining that our dollar was pretty much on par with US currency.

Luckily for me a really nice girl overheard our conversation and came right up to me and gave me an American twenty dollar bill to pay for our tickets. I initially refused her generous offer because I would never be able to pay her back, but she insisted I take it. I thanked her profusely and tried offering her my Canadian money in exchange, but she wouldn’t have it. She told me we had to take care of each other during difficult times and help each other out whenever possible. That minor act of kindness will stick with me for the rest of my life. If you’re out there mystery girl; thank you.

We waiting a few minutes then hopped on the ferry for our ride back to NJ. I called my dad and he picked us up. We arrived at his condo and noticed the power was still out. Luckily he was leaving in a few hours for a business trip overseas and wouldn’t have to deal with it.

My wife and I packed up the car, said our goodbyes to pops and made the 8.5 hour drive home.

Our vacation was officially over. It was time to get back to reality. As these feelings started to sink in during our drive home, I started to reflect on our trip. Was it a perfect cruise? No, but we had an amazing time. We ate, drank, danced, sang, and laughed. We met some great people and enjoyed three beautiful ports and four extra days aboard our favorite ship.

My wife and I both truly believe that a vacation is what you make of it. If you keep a positive attitude, good things will happen. Travelling for us is about sharing experiences and making lasting memories. We both agreed that the experiences we shared and the memories we made during our 13 days on the Norwegian Gem will last a lifetime. Honestly, what could be better than that? :)

Coming up next: Norwegian Gem’s Report Card

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

Have you ever considered writing a letter to Mr. Sheehan, CEO of Norwegian about your adventure on the Gem and how the staff handled it? If so I will send you an address if you do not have it. I am sure that he would love to hear about this. By the way, he lost his home out on Long Island to Superstorm Sandy. No one in his family was hurt.

Mandy

Have you ever considered writing a letter to Mr. Sheehan, CEO of Norwegian about your adventure on the Gem and how the staff handled it? If so I will send you an address if you do not have it. I am sure that he would love to hear about this. By the way, he lost his home out on Long Island to Superstorm Sandy. No one in his family was hurt.

Mandy

I'd love to! Yes, please send me the address! Thanks! :)

I lined up to purchase my ticket but I was out of American cash. I figured I could pay on my Amex or my MasterCard, however the terminal was still without power and their credit/debit machines were out of order. I had a Canadian $20 bill but the lady behind the counter refused to accept it, even though I tried explaining that our dollar was pretty much on par with US currency.

Luckily for me a really nice girl overheard our conversation and came right up to me and gave me an American twenty dollar bill to pay for our tickets. I initially refused her generous offer because I would never be able to pay her back, but she insisted I take it. I thanked her profusely and tried offering her my Canadian money in exchange, but she wouldn’t have it. She told me we had to take care of each other during difficult times and help each other out whenever possible. That minor act of kindness will stick with me for the rest of my life. If you’re out there mystery girl; thank you.

It's Karma from when you reinstated your daily service charges after discovering ncl wasn't going to charge them for the extra days. :)

I'd love to! Yes, please send me the address! Thanks! :)

Kevin Sheehan, CEO

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami, Florida

He would love to know about specific staff members that you thought were outstanding and I would also tell him about paying the extra DSC and why you did it. I would also send a copy of the letter to Andy Stuart, Executive Vice President, Passenger Services. Make you keep a copy of the letter for yourself.

Mandy

Kevin Sheehan, CEO

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami, Florida

He would love to know about specific staff members that you thought were outstanding and I would also tell him about paying the extra DSC and why you did it. I would also send a copy of the letter to Andy Stuart, Executive Vice President, Passenger Services. Make you keep a copy of the letter for yourself.

Mandy

Will do! Thanks again! :)

Report Card

Embarkation: B+

We arrived at the pier around noon and onboard by 12:45. Smooth and efficient.

Cabin: B

We booked a midship interior cabin on deck 9. Although small, it was clean and comfortable.

Ship: A+

What can I say? We LOVE the Gem! She’s just the right size with great facilities and a terrific crew. It never felt crowded and the décor is modern and tasteful.

Crew: A++

In my opinion, the best crew at sea. Kudos to the entire hotel and restaurant staff, Cruise Director Sinan and Captain Roger Gustavsen. They took excellent care of us during our extended cruise in less than favorable conditions.

Food: A

Breakfast: We typically ate a light breakfast in the buffet or the Grand Pacific dining room and found the variety of items offered were good and the ingredients fresh.

Lunch: For lunch we’d usually grab a salad and/or sandwich combo from the buffet. It was always great!

Dinner: Since my wife has a special dietary requirement (no gluten or dairy) we found it easier to stick with dinner at the Grand Pacific restaurant. We never experienced a wait for a table of 2 and the food quality/variety was great. They even assigned a special waiter named Kent Torrino to make sure her dietary needs were met and he took excellent care of us each night. Since nearly every desert contains either gluten and/or dairy, he would go to the extra trouble of having the chef prepare her special deserts using coconut milk and tapioca flour, just for her! At the end of the trip I gave him an envelope with $30 for his superior service.

Drinks: B

Bar service was consistently very good however I’m a tequila drinker and I found the prices for the higher end stuff was a little high. Also, my wife thought their strawberry daiquiris could’ve been better. However, our morning coffees in the Java Cafe were superb!

Entertainment: A+

We were never bored on the Norwegian Gem! From shows in the main theatre to comedy and live music, there always seemed to be something to do. The Amar jazz orchestra was enjoyable and Jay Chalmers on piano was terrific. They also had a great reggae band called Groove International.

Ports: A

San Juan: We walked around and explored on our own. Went to Barrachina’s to enjoy their world famous Pina Colada!

St-Maarten: Beautiful Island! We grabbed a taxi to Mullet Bay beach and spent the day sunning and swimming.

St-Thomas: We spent the day at Emerald beach. Although a nice beach, next time we’ll head to Sapphire or Coki.

Samana: Unfortunately we missed this port due to Hurricane Sandy. If we ever return, we plan to head over to Cayo Levantado for a relaxing beach day.

Disembarkation B+

Great under the circumstances, although we did have to wait in line for quite awhile to get off the ship.

Well folks, that’s it for me.

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to read about our little adventure aboard the Norwegian Gem. Also, thanks to everyone who posted comments, my wife and I truly appreciate the kind words. :)

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions that you may think of. I’ll do my best to answer them.

Up next for us is an 8 day cruise aboard the Carnival Splendor, sailing from New York City to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau; an itinerary that we’ve sailed three previous times aboard the Carnival Miracle, followed by our first cruise to Bermuda aboard the brand new Norwegian Breakaway! Life is good!

Until then, safe travels everyone! I leave you with one of my favorite quotes:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

Thank you for all your hard work putting all this together. People like you make cruising a pleasure.

Safe journeys.

By the way I grew up being a Brooklyn Dodger fan. I am still a Dodger fan as well as a Kansas City Royals Fan. Spring Training is here.

Mandy

That had to be the best review my wife and I ever read. So glad you and your wife enjoyed your cruise on the Gem especially under the circumstances you experienced. I must add that you seem to be an extraordinary, good natured , gracious, well spoken and generous young man and I would be privileged if I ever was lucky enough to have you on the same cruise. Your Pop must be proud to have you as a son.

Yes, great review and I agree the $20 mystery girl was in response to your actions on board. Just terriffic!

We are on the Gem 3/4 and were considering going to Emerald Beach in St Thomas as it is pretty close to the ship and we had heard some good things about it. What didn't you like about it??

Thanks,

Louis ps Pitchers and catchers have reported, A-Rod has not;)

What a GREAT review!!! I really enjoyed it immensely. You are one classy guy. Not too many people would have added that additional 4 day DSC. They have a hard time paying the regular DSC. Never did understand that.

Again, thanks for a GREAT review.;)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! What a great review! We (9 of us) are on the Gem on March 13th. I'v made sure that they have all read the review and looked at your pictures. We have 4 balcony cabins in a row on deck 10. I also hope we have the same CD that you had. You and your wife went above and beyond in your generosity to the staff and in sharing with us. Happy cruising! I've been on the Miracle twice and loved it!

My daughter and I were on this cruise also. Reading your review brought back lots of fine memories. We stayed on board till the end and were glad we did. As you said many time, the captain and crew were fantastic. I rank this cruise as one my favorite....

Thank you for all your hard work putting all this together. People like you make cruising a pleasure.

Safe journeys.

By the way I grew up being a Brooklyn Dodger fan. I am still a Dodger fan as well as a Kansas City Royals Fan. Spring Training is here.

Mandy

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the review! :)

That had to be the best review my wife and I ever read. So glad you and your wife enjoyed your cruise on the Gem especially under the circumstances you experienced. I must add that you seem to be an extraordinary, good natured , gracious, well spoken and generous young man and I would be privileged if I ever was lucky enough to have you on the same cruise. Your Pop must be proud to have you as a son.

Wow, thank you for the kind words! :)

Enjoy your upcoming cruise on the Gem!

We are on the Gem 3/4 and were considering going to Emerald Beach in St Thomas as it is pretty close to the ship and we had heard some good things about it. What didn't you like about it??

Having been to Magen's Bay and Sapphire beach on previous cruises, we found the water at Emerald beach wasn't as clear and calm and the sand wasn't as powdery soft. We did enjoy our time there, but we're very picky beach bums!!! From what I understand, the beaches on the North side of St-Thomas all have clearer water and softer sand.

Emerald beach did have one nice advantage though, it was nice and quiet, hardly anyone there. The cab ride cost us $8 each. (one way)

Have a great cruise! :)

Having been to Magen's Bay and Sapphire beach on previous cruises, we found the water at Emerald beach wasn't as clear and calm and the sand wasn't as powdery soft. We did enjoy our time there, but we're very picky beach bums!!! From what I understand, the beaches on the North side of St-Thomas all have clearer water and softer sand.

Emerald beach did have one nice advantage though, it was nice and quiet, hardly anyone there. The cab ride cost us $8 each. (one way)

Have a great cruise! :)

Thanks so much for the information!