Do you let your baby crawl on floor in room?

wyaracing

Thinking about the OP's concern, though... Cruise ship cabins are small hotel rooms. I don't like to think about hotel rooms, because if you REALLY think about it, it's pretty skeevy. I DO think they are cleaner than some land-based hotel rooms since they get vaccuumed regularly, but still... there's a skeeve factor.

Fortunately, the rooms are usually so small, the baby won't be crawling on the floor too much... Hopefully, the baby will be at the "cruising" stage, where they like to stand while holding onto things. The cabin is ideal for that since everything is so compact. I mean... you're lucky if you have 24" between the bed and the wall.

Some people go to extremes when traveling, bringing their own pillow cases and sheets. I try not to think about it... My biggest fear would be accidentally watching 60 Minutes and they do an exposé on rooms bringing in black lights and stuff. I'm on vacation, I'm not thinking about it.

The whole world is not sterile. Kids can't avoid a bit of filth. It makes them stronger. I know kids who get into the kitty litter! Now that is gross. They also have been known to drink out of toilets. Their immune system is important. It gets stronger with each gross encounter.

I'm willing to bet that cruise ships are cleaner than most homes.

I agree that the whole world is not sterile but I dont agree with cruise ships being cleaner than most homes---thats hard to believe!

I would agree. Cruise ship cabins may be devoid of dustbunnies, but I'm sure folks might work out on the ship, get back to the stateroom, take off their sweaty shoes and walk around barefoot with their sweaty feet.

Folks might suffer sea sickness and might not necessarily make it to the bathroom... They might be intoxicated and spill their room service and beverages on the carpeting or bed. And speaking of the bed, folk might leave a "Basic Instinct" crime scene in the stateroom, invisible without chemicals and a black light.

I don't like to think about it. It's scary to think what we're walking on, much less crawling on. We're on vacation, and our stateroom attendants do a GREAT job.... Period. I don't want to think otherwise.

I would agree. Cruise ship cabins may be devoid of dustbunnies, but I'm sure folks might work out on the ship, get back to the stateroom, take off their sweaty shoes and walk around barefoot with their sweaty feet.

Folks might suffer sea sickness and might not necessarily make it to the bathroom... They might be intoxicated and spill their room service and beverages on the carpeting or bed. And speaking of the bed, folk might leave a "Basic Instinct" crime scene in the stateroom, invisible without chemicals and a black light.

I don't like to think about it. It's scary to think what we're walking on, much less crawling on. We're on vacation, and our stateroom attendants do a GREAT job.... Period. I don't want to think otherwise.

EXACTLY! I posted earlier that once at a hotel my little guy got a stomach flu and we all know that little kids dont make it to the bathroom when they are like 2 years old....after that I always felt bad about the next guest to book that room---Im sure it happens often!

I am sitting here seeing MY mom in some of you. She is a clean freak. Fast forward to today and I have an autoimmune disease where my body's own immune system attacks itself.

Maybe a little germs when I was younger would have been good ;)

My mom was kind of the opposite. Our house wasn't filthy, but it wasn't always perfectly clean. We also played outside in all kinds of weather in the dirt, sand, trees, etc. I'm quite certain that I had that "peck of dirt" (or however the saying goes) when I was a kid. As a young adult, I was super healthy and very active. Fast forward to today, like you, I have autoimmune conditions where my body is attacking itself. I think it may just be the luck of the draw, some weird genetic mutation, or even exposure to chemicals or pathogens that altered our bodies immune responses.

One of the most frustrating things is that I have been forced to become something of a clean freak myself to keep my flareups/symptoms down and help prevent secondary infections. It really ticks me off!

My best to you and extra hugs because our daughter is an adult, but you still have little ones at home to take care of. I don't know about you, but one of the things my hubby and I like about cruising is that it allows us to get away from the day to day of pain, illness, and freaking doctors. It gives us a reminder of how things were and that we are not just "the illnesses."

Healthy travels!:)

beachchick

I think for the OP, it comes down to prioritizing how we protect our children. A 1 year old, hopefully on the verge of walking independently may have very little contact with the floor of the cabin. If you prioritize the floor as being something you need to shield your child from, then you do it.

I try not to sweat the little things. My eldest son was diagnosed with juvenile macular degeneration when he was 7. Recessive gene disorder. Devastating to me because he will go blind one day (he's legally blind now, but he has peripheral vision). I want him to be independent and successful when he reaches adulthood... and I used to sweat every little thing. I was a "helicopter" parent, hovering over his every move and desire.

Something like that makes it easy to sweat the little things, but we can't hold his hand everywhere he goes, and as a 14 year old, he doesn't want us to be stifled by us. If we held his hand all the time, he wouldn't have ran into a lamppost goofing around with his siblings... it hurt him as much as it hurt us, but he learned, 'Hey, maybe it's a good idea to be more aware of my surroundings.'

When the kids were little, we would take them over to Sesame Place in Langhorne PA... big water park with dubious water quality. Every time we'd go, the kids would have a great time, come home tired, and get a low grade temperature the next day.

Maybe it wasn't the best idea to go to such a fun place for kids... The water is cloudy all the time (I don't want to think about it)... but they survived, they've experienced it, and they've grown with it.

It's life.

So... would I let the baby crawl on the floor of the cabin?

First child.... no.

Now? It's a small thing I'll try not to sweat over.

• 1 month later...

My stubborn DS learned to walk on cruise at 15 months because he didn't like the way the carpet felt. He crawled for a bit, sat back on his bum and looked at his hands wiping them together, then pulled himself up and never looked back. Talk about your sea legs! He wasn't one to stick his hands in his mouth a lot so I wasn't really concerned, but then again, he is our second child. :D

We saw the housekeeping staff cleaning the carpets by sprinkling a powder onto the carpets before vacuuming.

Curious what others do/think about a baby (1 year old) crawling around on the floor in your stateroom?

Personally, it creeps me out a bit thinking of my little boy crawling around on the floor (and ultimatly putting his hands into his mouth) in our room. Think of all the grungy feet and toes that have been walking on it, and the possibility of someone previously puking on same carpet? YUCK!!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on how to combat this? And no, keeping him cooped up all week and not allowing him to roam a little on the floor will be impossible (because EVERYONE on our deck will hear his displeasure if he's stuck in his pack N play all week.

I was thinking of possibly getting a few extra bed sheets to lay down? But I forsee him rolling around in them and getting them all tangled up just to crawl on the floor anyway.

Do they shampoo the carpets after each sailing?

If I asked my room attentandt (maybe with a cash tip), would he shampoo the carpet again if I asked?

Any other germ killing/baby proofing techniques for the stateroom that others have tried? Would love to hear others thoughts.

We're sailing on the Explorer of the Seas in a couple days, leaving on the 10th.

I'd probably let the kid crawl around, but moniter and bring baby wipes or something to clean his hands after he's done. Also just do your best to prevent him from sticking his hands in his mouth. Personally I wouldn't want my kid to crawl on the dirty floors and put him on the bed instead LOL. Staterooms don't have much space anyhow :P

My 10 month old not only crawled on everything he thought it would be fun to lick everything too. The salt water perhaps? He was fine. He had a blast. A little dirt never hurt anyone. Just make sure he sleeps enough and do all of the other good things like nutrition etc. to keep his or her immune system in top shape. Have a blast!!!

If you are really worried find out if you can bring a playpen with legs onto the ship as luggage. They collapse/pop up and lock in place which also has the benefit of being up off the floor AND somewhere to put your child for a few moments ie to drink coffee or get dressed.

Alternatively, would a spray of something like Glen20 aerosol disinfectant help?

hmm good question. i didn't bring my kids on board until 18 mnonths (youngest age)

i heard about being too clean and a weaken immune system but let's put it this way...would you put your face on those carpets? not me...

My kids still crawl all over the cabin floors and they are 8&5 yrs ;). ITA, let the child crawl and wash their hands as often as you can before they stick them in their mouth.

FWIW the Canadian recommendations are that walking before 18 months is in the normal range. Even after that, if there are reasons why the child might not walking, iin the absense of other gross motor delays, the child won't qualify for rehabilitation therapy. So it is quite possible for OP's child to still be crawling.

Ok! So I don't have OCD but I can completely relate to the OP. I put down a blanket (we brought from home) on the floor. Yes, there are probably greater hazards to the kids, true but the idea of it bothers me still. Yes, I do have people remove their shoes in my house. We travel with our pack in play (husband hates that) and I use it as a play pen/bed etc.

Years ago I used to be a health inspector. We inspected hotels too. When we would do training sessions and break out the UV light and swab surfaces. There were almost always traces of urine, blood or semen. Sometimes all three and I'm talking on the outside of bedspreads that were supposed to be clean and ready for the next guest. I travel with my own sheets now. The image was burned in my head and its just something I do now.

Yes, doorknobs, handles and phones are probably the germiest, but its my hang up and I'm proud of it. :) So I say take your blanket, if it will bring you peace of mind.

I had this thought as I am a bit of a germ freak, and am cooking a kid right now- what about socks his/her hands for crawling in the public places? Like little mittons... Not sure logistically if it would work...

Only if you can keep them from removing the socks or putting the sock-covered hands in their mouths. :) Mine were always trying to remove and chew on their socks when they were on their feet.

I'm among those who believe that it's good for babies and kids to build a strong immune system, through breastfeeding and exposure to things like dirty floors. :)

I have 3 kids. The first one, I freaked out about germs, dirt, anything that went near her mouth, nose or eyes. The second, I still worried, washed her down with wet wipes when we'd go somewhere, afraid she touched something gross. My 3rd is now 21 mos and sometimes when I see her pick up the cheerios off the living room floor (that she spilled an hour earlier) and eat them, I don't even rush over to take it out of her mouth. That said, unless you plan to hermetically seal the child in a large hamster ball, the child will be exposed to new germs. He will be fine. He isn't the first child to ever crawl on a carpet.

Curious what others do/think about a baby (1 year old) crawling around on the floor in your stateroom?

Personally, it creeps me out a bit thinking of my little boy crawling around on the floor (and ultimatly putting his hands into his mouth) in our room. Think of all the grungy feet and toes that have been walking on it, and the possibility of someone previously puking on same carpet? YUCK!!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on how to combat this? And no, keeping him cooped up all week and not allowing him to roam a little on the floor will be impossible (because EVERYONE on our deck will hear his displeasure if he's stuck in his pack N play all week.

I was thinking of possibly getting a few extra bed sheets to lay down? But I forsee him rolling around in them and getting them all tangled up just to crawl on the floor anyway.

Do they shampoo the carpets after each sailing?

If I asked my room attentandt (maybe with a cash tip), would he shampoo the carpet again if I asked?

Any other germ killing/baby proofing techniques for the stateroom that others have tried? Would love to hear others thoughts.

We're sailing on the Explorer of the Seas in a couple days, leaving on the 10th.

I haven't read the entire thread, but what I do is get an extra sheet on the first day and cover the open floor area with the sheet. I usually change the sheet half way through the cruise.

Archived