curious...excursions.....

ryansmom

How do you "excursion"?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. How do you "excursion"?

• I always use an independent vendor
    • I always use the cruiseline...terrified of the ship leaving without me!
    • I use both
    • I don't use either....I stay on ship or do my own thing

We prefer independent excursions but, like others have said, it depends on where we are. For our upcoming Med cruise we were all set to do Capri on our own until I found our that we dock in Salerno, not Naples. After much research, and great responses from others on the Italy boards, we decided it would be safer to be on a ship's excursion.

Our best independent excursion was a 2 day tour in St. Petersburg, Russia. We saw and did much more than a ship's tour and the price for 2 full days was the same as the ship's 1 day excursion.

Everyone's comfort level is different but, with research, especially using other CC members recommendations and experiences, you can find what might work for you.

ryansmon-it really comes down to your own comfort level.

Because we travel mostly to the caribbean, I really want Royal to know where myself and family are. Once I get off a ship and do not feel comfortable being bombarded with taxi here, braid your hair and all that other stuff, I would just rather Royal knows where we are and where we are going. Go directly there and back.

Once at a resort-we did a private ATV tour that came highly suggested and they took us to a 'refreshment' stop and I have to tell you, looked at my husband and said- we better stay alert and close together here. There were 2 other couples with us and we felt strength in numbers. I NEVER want that feeling again on vacation.

We just got off Brilliance and one of our stops was Guadaloupe. The talk was don't get off the ship. Well, I booked a tour through the ship and I am so glad we did. That island has so much to offer.

Let's face it. We are strangers, in other countries that often most of the islands are at poverty level, Things are run different, law enforcement at times can be nothing that we are accustomed to. To me, safety is nothing I will skimp on.

Europe, Alaska, Canada-I'm thinking those could be a different feel. I'm just talking about Caribbean or Bahama's. Nassau made my blood boil with the swarm of sales pitches and woman grabbing my hair to braid.

Most 1st timers will...thinking they MUST! But, with some research on your ports, the great majority of things can be either done on your own, or through private vendors. Research is key to getting the most out of your shore time. Get a guidebook...read up on where you're going, and you'll find the perfect thing for you, and info on HOW to do it!

Well said, this is a good time to mention this is where roll call groups can come in handy. You may find out about a really great private excursion that several experienced people are doing and they may welcome you to their excursion. That might provide rookies with some piece of mind.

The last time I used a Royal Excursion was in Costa Maya because it was a new port to us and our friends found an excursion they wanted. On my upcoming cruise, all ports we have been to before, the only RC excursion is a time killer after the cruise to keep our bags and us busy till our 4pm flight.

Thanks Debde.... We usually book thru the cruiseline and we don't cruise anywhere but the caribbean (it's just our thing). This year I wanted to do some independent tours and my husband was nervous about it because he is one to be afraid the ship will leave us behind. I think he is just able to relax more when he knows HE doesn't have to worry about the time.

We did choose many independents for our upcoming vacation (based on TA reviews and CC recommedations) and it just had me wondering what most people did (as I learned over the years a LOT of people WILL book with independents...either only them or in addition to the ship tours).

Seems like Cozumel is the one where most will book the ship tour to Tulum....that tour seems like it usually runs a little late? OR, maybe the cruiseline KNOWS how long it really is?

just my curiousity..... :p

Without a doubt, the private tours that we've booked have been the highlight of our trips- so much more personal. I wouldn't just grab a taxi, but if a bunch of CC or Trip Advisor users have good experiences, I figure it's not much of a risk.

That said, I booked with the ship to go to Lamanai in Belize, because it was a bus and a river boat to get to the ruins, and an all day affair. We ended up being the last ones on the ship, which left a few minutes later than scheduled. I also booked a snorkel excursion through RCCL for my upcoming trip to St. Thomas, since it seems like pretty much everything there can only be done through the cruise line (unless you want to book a charter boat for big bucks).

I should add, though, that another part of the decision is based on party size. We have a group of 8 people (my family and both sets of grandparents), and with those numbers the per-person cruise ship fares really pile up. If it were just my wife and I, I might be more tempted to book through the ship (although I'd probably first see if I could hook up with others on our roll call).

Scardey Cat here :rolleyes:

If the excursion I want is available via the cruiseline I'd always book that first - to scared! If i went on a cruise and they didn't have anything I fancied (not happened yet) I reckon I would go to an independent vendor but so far so good!

Most often, I book privately. However, there have been instances where the cruise line offered the same experience at a lower price.

When I was anticipating a cruise including St. Lucia, I found the Land & Sea excursion offered by the cruise line to be the same or less than the cost of booking privately. Because it's an all-day tour, it's safer to book through the cruise line. I ended up not taking that cruise, but would have ended up booking that excursion through RCCL.

On another cruise, we wanted to visit Xcaret. We found it cheaper to book through the cruise line because most of the the cost was the transportation to the park. Going on a BUS meant less cost than going via taxi. And I think the line got a group rate for admission to the park as well. It simply cost LESS.

Archived